FOX DPX2 Performance SAG issues

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
FOX DPX2 Performance SAG issues
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 4:50 Quote
Hi everyone,
I have a 2019 Nukeproof Mega 27.5 in XL frame with above mentioned shock and I am having issues with setup.
Tried to set initial SAG by FOXs 1 PSI for 1lb of weight suggestion (I am 200lb) and it's not even close. When I put 200PSI in, SAG is like 50-60%. I need to pump it to almost 300PSI (max) to get that 25% SAG. And then when I ride I still bottom it out super easy....

Any ideas? Anybody with similar issues?

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
chabrosm wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a 2019 Nukeproof Mega 27.5 in XL frame with above mentioned shock and I am having issues with setup.
Tried to set initial SAG by FOXs 1 PSI for 1lb of weight suggestion (I am 200lb) and it's not even close. When I put 200PSI in, SAG is like 50-60%. I need to pump it to almost 300PSI (max) to get that 25% SAG. And then when I ride I still bottom it out super easy....

Any ideas? Anybody with similar issues?

Make sure you are cycling the shock 5-7 times every 50psi as you pump it to equalize the pressure.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 16:26 Quote
I believe max pressure for the DPX2 is 350psi, but you should confirm that for your specific shock.

If you have the correct sag but are still bottoming out easily you can try adding volume spacers. Be sure to follow the Fox guidelines for the maximum number of spacers.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 12:26 Quote
Branmuffin wrote:
chabrosm wrote:
Hi everyone,
I have a 2019 Nukeproof Mega 27.5 in XL frame with above mentioned shock and I am having issues with setup.
Tried to set initial SAG by FOXs 1 PSI for 1lb of weight suggestion (I am 200lb) and it's not even close. When I put 200PSI in, SAG is like 50-60%. I need to pump it to almost 300PSI (max) to get that 25% SAG. And then when I ride I still bottom it out super easy....

Any ideas? Anybody with similar issues?

Make sure you are cycling the shock 5-7 times every 50psi as you pump it to equalize the pressure.

Did that... no luck.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 7:09 Quote
I believe a lot of suggested PSI has to do with each bike's suspension design as leverage ratios will change.

I currently have a DPX2 Performance Elite and came from a bike that had the same shock. What I have found on both bikes is body weight+25-35 gets me to proper sag. I would start from 0psi like others have mentioned slowly cycling the shock every ~50psi to fill the negative air chamber. You will feel and hear this.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 19:26 Quote
At 210, i have not checked sag, but run 240-250 psi to get it set for me, feels best. Go more on feel than being constricted by numbers.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 4:33 Quote
Sounds like you might have air in your damper oil and/or low IFP pressure to me. If it was in my shop I'd depressurize the can, put the shock in the dyno and see what it feels like. Bubbly dampers cause a lot of common issues from weak damper performance to lockout failure, to knocking sounds. Most likely a rebuild would fix the issue and a simple oil change alone might do it.

Any way you slice it, it's either buy a new shock or have someone break this one open and see what's happening inside. To the best of my knowledge shocks don't fix themselves. Good luck.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 12:07 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Sounds like you might have air in your damper oil and/or low IFP pressure to me. If it was in my shop I'd depressurize the can, put the shock in the dyno and see what it feels like. Bubbly dampers cause a lot of common issues from weak damper performance to lockout failure, to knocking sounds. Most likely a rebuild would fix the issue and a simple oil change alone might do it.

Any way you slice it, it's either buy a new shock or have someone break this one open and see what's happening inside. To the best of my knowledge shocks don't fix themselves. Good luck.

Well that would suck since its a brand new bike, and this was happening right from initial setup.... Frown

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 14:45 Quote
Have you tried more psi? Lb per psi is not really correct as noticed by many.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 15:17 Quote
chabrosm wrote:
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Sounds like you might have air in your damper oil and/or low IFP pressure to me. If it was in my shop I'd depressurize the can, put the shock in the dyno and see what it feels like. Bubbly dampers cause a lot of common issues from weak damper performance to lockout failure, to knocking sounds. Most likely a rebuild would fix the issue and a simple oil change alone might do it.

Any way you slice it, it's either buy a new shock or have someone break this one open and see what's happening inside. To the best of my knowledge shocks don't fix themselves. Good luck.

Well that would suck since its a brand new bike, and this was happening right from initial setup.... Frown

If it’s bran new send it back to fox, it will be covered by warranty and warranty repairs are usually returned in under 2 weeks.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005712
Mobile Version of Website