Santa Cruz 5010 v4 R Build Suspension Tuning?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Santa Cruz 5010 v4 R Build Suspension Tuning?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
FL
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 12:31 Quote
Any recommendations for tuning a SC 5010 v4 R build to help get more pop off small features and small to medium sized dirt jumps? Right now, I'm using the stock tune for my weight based on SC's guide and I'm feeling like the bike just wants to stay planted on the ground.

I'm 5'11" ~200 lbs running a large frame. Here's the suspension settings I'm running now:
- Front (Fox Rhythm 34, 140mm) - 96 PSI, rebound 5 clicks from closed, compression full open
- Rear ( Fox Float DPS Performance Series, 130 mm) - 220 PSI, rebound 7 clicks from closed, compression full open
Front/Rear Tires: 30/30 PSI

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 13:48 Quote
Nicely dialed. My experience is you are in advanced territory skill wise, so backing of rebound will be pop enducing. Clearly you can handle some bouncy in your setup. This will feel lighter and more lively, but you can control it because skill. Your float and fun can increase, but speed may actually decrease. Fast and smooth aint always "fun" get that springy feeling back but you on bucking bronco. Back off tire pressure if you have room to do so, this gives smoothness over annoying little bumps, but float and pop are worth it. Sadly i bet you are advanced beyond what i could ever do, so take the advice limited. Pump it up, back of rebound... Float and pop. Wheeee!

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 14:52 Quote
rtshreds1 wrote:
Any recommendations for tuning a SC 5010 v4 R build to help get more pop off small features and small to medium sized dirt jumps? Right now, I'm using the stock tune for my weight based on SC's guide and I'm feeling like the bike just wants to stay planted on the ground.

I'm 5'11" ~200 lbs running a large frame. Here's the suspension settings I'm running now:
- Front (Fox Rhythm 34, 140mm) - 96 PSI, rebound 5 clicks from closed, compression full open
- Rear ( Fox Float DPS Performance Series, 130 mm) - 220 PSI, rebound 7 clicks from closed, compression full open
Front/Rear Tires: 30/30 PSI

I would experiment with your more rebound (open) in fork + air pressure / volume spacer/ more rebound in rear shock. You don't have to like it but play around with them, just make sure your rear rebound is a tad slower than your front.

For reference, I'm 190 and have my DPS, with the largest volume spacer (based on Fox guidelines), to 270 PSI with rebound pretty open on my Ripley. Sag is probably 20% - I think. Definitely a fun and poppy bike.

Posted: May 3, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
That bike has a very high progressivity, around 33%, as such for a given shock sag it will have quite a lot of wheel sag, meaning you have to work harder to get the rear tyre to leave the ground. Try a higher shock pressure to decrease sag and provide more platform to preload, and reduce rebound damping.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 14:36 Quote
Pivot's Fox susp tuning guide works well. I weigh just a tad more than you riding a Hightower and HTLT. Try running about 80 psi in the fork, and about 240 to 245 in the shock. Run the comp on the fork about midway, and open the R until it doesn't improve and back in 1 or so. Shock, I run mine in the mid position all the time and rebound about 7 clicks out. Also, no volume reducers in fork and one of the larger ones in the shock. You will want to experiment.

I am about 210, don't do big jumps, but so like to go down hill as fast as I can. I run 18 front and about 22-23 in the rear. Experiment with less pressure, dropping a little at a time till you know its too low.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
How many volume spacers are in your fork? If you've got a sweep adjuster and LSC is all the way open you're using the air spring to do the job of the damper. You should drop a few psi and/or remove 1-2 volume spacers until you can dial back in at least 25% LSC. It's easy enough to remove the cap and check how many spacers you have. Obviously let the air out first. then you can use a large crescent, however you need to be very careful not to damage the fairly thin top of the cap. You could alternatively buy the correct socket from fox.

As for the shock, making the rebound faster (less damping) will make it come back faster, as well as increasing spring pressure. You can try either increasing by 5psi in the shock, or speeding up the rebound but being careful not to make it so fast that it bounces you on landings.

Changing spring pressure for both the fork and shock may result in also needing to adjust your rebound settings by 1 click as it is the spring that pushes the suspension back to full extension.

And yeah unless you're running tubes in your tires there's no reason to have 30psi. I'm the same weight and my riding has some high speed sections where the back wheel gets smashed off rocks. I run 23-25 front and 27 rear. Lower might give me slightly better performance but I find these pressures keep me from cutting tires from rim impacts.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011599
Mobile Version of Website