Bedding in TRP brakes

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bedding in TRP brakes
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 3, 2021 at 12:35 Quote
Hello,

Anyone have experience bedding in TRP brakes? I've been having a bit of a hard time with it, and I've heard they can be trickier than most. For some reason I was able to get the rear just fine, and it's always been perfect. My front brake has been a little finicky though. Never had quite as much power as the rear, and they're getting contaminated all the time, which makes me feel like maybe I never bedded them in properly in the first place? These are the DH-R EVOs with stock "performance resin" pads.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 13:52 Quote
sasquatchclyde wrote:
Hello,

Anyone have experience bedding in TRP brakes? I've been having a bit of a hard time with it, and I've heard they can be trickier than most. For some reason I was able to get the rear just fine, and it's always been perfect. My front brake has been a little finicky though. Never had quite as much power as the rear, and they're getting contaminated all the time, which makes me feel like maybe I never bedded them in properly in the first place? These are the DH-R EVOs with stock "performance resin" pads.

The new resin (blue pads) on the DH-R EVO should break in right away and these pads are nearly impossible to bed incorrectly, so something is wrong. I've done it twice now and both times took maybe 2-3 attempts. If you're saying they're getting contaminated, it might be a permanent thing from some oil/grease when you first installed them. Try baking them out and, if that doesn't work, replace them completely. Make sure the rotors are clean.

Posted: May 4, 2021 at 23:01 Quote
iliveonnitro wrote:
sasquatchclyde wrote:
Hello,

The new resin (blue pads) on the DH-R EVO should break in right away and these pads are nearly impossible to bed incorrectly, so something is wrong. I've done it twice now and both times took maybe 2-3 attempts. If you're saying they're getting contaminated, it might be a permanent thing from some oil/grease when you first installed them. Try baking them out and, if that doesn't work, replace them completely. Make sure the rotors are clean.

Thanks for the response!

Yeah, these are the new blue resin pads. That’s interesting that you’ve had such a difference experience. I’ve actually tried replacing the pads already, same struggles with the new set. Whenever the front brake gets squeaky I take the pads out and sand them down until they’re not shiny anymore. I’ve also started scuffing up the rotor too, to see if that would help.

I don’t know how they keep getting contaminated. I wash my bike after most rides, but just rinse with water, I never use any soap or cleaner. Haven’t done any brake bleeds or fork services or anything that I can think of that would bring oil or grease anywhere near the pads.

Maybe I’ll try one of the other pad compounds and see if I have better luck.

Posted: May 5, 2021 at 1:31 Quote
Pads and rotors get contaminated easily and it happens occasionally without knowing why or how.

If you haven't tried already it's worth a close inspection of hose, connections and piston seals for piece of mind and to rule it out as the cause if it's a regular occurrence.

Posted: May 6, 2021 at 14:32 Quote
Reaperactual wrote:
Pads and rotors get contaminated easily and it happens occasionally without knowing why or how.

If you haven't tried already it's worth a close inspection of hose, connections and piston seals for piece of mind and to rule it out as the cause if it's a regular occurrence.

Thanks for the tip! I don’t see any oil leakage anywhere, but if it happens again I’ll dig around with a clean cutip and see if I can find anything.

Today I swapped the blue performance resin pads for the red “semi-metallic” pads and those feel great. After ten minutes bedding in in the driveway they feel better than the resin pads ever did, no sign of squealing or squawking and scary amounts of bite.

I am still a bit confused why I had issues with two different sets of resin pads, but if I’m being honest with myself the most likely explanation is that I probably just never did a good enough job cleaning things up/sanding things down after getting an unlucky contamination.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 1:17 Quote
Good to hear you sorted the issue Buddy. tup

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.004774
Mobile Version of Website