Anyone with YT eBikes Can Share Longterm Experiences?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
Anyone with YT eBikes Can Share Longterm Experiences?
  • Next Page
Posted: Jun 21, 2021 at 1:55 Quote
Roc34 wrote:
carters75 wrote:
I have a 2019 Decoy Base with almost 4000 miles on it.

So far the motor and battery have been bullet proof.
No issues with the frame at all so far. All cosmetic issues are from hard riding.

Most problems I have had have been drivetrain related. Mainly eating up the small rings on the cassettes. After blowing through a ton of 11 speed drivetrains I've upgraded to Shimano 12 speed after reading that it's a stronger drivetrain. So far it's held up considerably better.

Obviously with an ebike you really have to be careful shifting under load, so a lot of my cassette issues were my own fault. Also keep an eye on your chain stretch. They wear fast.

I've upgraded pretty much everything on the bike by the way. Currently running a Fox 38 180 travel and an X2 out back. This is what this bike needed from day 1. Rides like a dream.

4000 miles!, and then some I imagine, way to get after it.
I also have a 2019 Decoy Base. My bike’s assist cuts out at approx 16 mph. I was on a 2020 Decoy Shred recently and it was cutting out at approx 19.5 mph. The extra boost made a huge difference. What speed does your bike cut out at?

How's the Shred feel vs an air shock Decoy?

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 12:32 Quote
Roc34 wrote:
carters75 wrote:

No issues with the frame at all so far. All cosmetic issues are from hard riding.

Most problems I have had have been drivetrain related. Mainly eating up the small rings on the cassettes. After blowing through a ton of 11 speed drivetrains I've upgraded to Shimano 12 speed after reading that it's a stronger drivetrain. So far it's held up considerably better.

Obviously with an ebike you really have to be careful shifting under load, so a lot of my cassette issues were my own fault. Also keep an eye on your chain stretch. They wear fast.

I've upgraded pretty much everything on the bike by the way. Currently running a Fox 38 180 travel and an X2 out back. This is what this bike needed from day 1. Rides like a dream.

I also have a 2019 Decoy Base. My bike’s assist cuts out at approx 16 mph. I was on a 2020 Decoy Shred recently and it was cutting out at approx 19.5 mph. The extra boost made a huge difference. What speed does your bike cut out at?

Mine cuts off at 20 basically. Your bike may be set up for EU which has a 15 mph limit.

Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
Just as an FYI for everyone. Shortly after I made my previous post about not having any motor issues, I lost a bearing or something inside the E8000. Motor started feeling like it was dragging then started grinding and squealing. Looks like part of a bearing and snap ring have bit the bullet.

In any case I sent an email to YT USA and they had me take a video for them to send to Shimano. I sent it and got a response that Shimano approved a warranty replacement and and I had a new motor on my door step in about 5 days.

Everyone always dogs YT about customer service, but as far as the US office goes, they have done great by me.

O+ FL
Posted: Jun 28, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
I'm kinda late to this party but my 2019 YT Decoy Comp has 18 months and 900 miles of riding. No frame or motor issues so far. All riding is on steep and rough terrain though I am pretty light and typically not hard on equipment.

Biggest issues have been knocking the headset askew and denting both brake rotors. The former was an easy fix once I found instructions on emtbforums. The latter, apparently 2019 SRAM Centerline rotors are made of cheese? Or maybe bad luck. I switched to Galfer due to supply issues. The Galfer Pro Pads perform like a dream but are metal-on-metal in 100 miles or less. I am planning to switch to Galfer's eMTB-specific pads when my current Pros wear out.

Surprisingly my chain has yet to need replacing (yes, I use a chain checker). The Cassette also looks pretty good and is wearing more evenly than my non-electric bikes due to not spending 90% of pedaling time in granny gear.

I'll double check when my assist cuts out but I am pretty sure it's around the 20 mph mark.

Overall, I am pretty stoked on the YT Decoy and recommend it without hesitation.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 18:11 Quote
holytrails wrote:
Roc34 wrote:
carters75 wrote:

How's the Shred feel vs an air shock Decoy?

The terrain was really flat, didn’t get a feel for it.

Posted: Jul 7, 2021 at 18:19 Quote
carters75 wrote:
Roc34 wrote:
carters75 wrote:

Mine cuts off at 20 basically. Your bike may be set up for EU which has a 15 mph limit.

Spot on, My bike was shipped to me in the EU setting I’ve learned. A local Shimano dealer will take my bike, connect it to their computer, call Shimano, who will then remote into their comp to reflash my motor. The local shop cannot reflash independently.
I also heard E plus third party software.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012534
Mobile Version of Website