2021 YT Jeffsy 29er Core 4 Sizing (L or XL)

PB Forum :: YT Industries
2021 YT Jeffsy 29er Core 4 Sizing (L or XL)
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 21:03 Quote
Tunabrad wrote:
The yt employees at their San Clemente location recommend an XL to just about anyone 6ft or taller. I'm 6ft with 34" inseam and went with the xl. The only thing I changed was the stem to a 35mm from the factory race face 50mm. Handles way better for me now. I could absolutely fit on a large but I prefer the stability and climbing benefits of the larger bike.

Super helpful. Thanks for that. Seems to me that 6’ people with 34” inseam is kinda rare and many don’t get the position it puts us in on a bike. At least for me I’m always looking for something taller in the front end without being too stretched out. Cheers!

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 4:26 Quote
Timberjack75 wrote:
notnew wrote:
the sizing is
1 effective top tube to suit your back
2 seat tube or saddle check

i was between xl and l izzo. yt told me to go for large.
my last bike had 690 top tube +stem. the izzo Xl had 700, the largr 670.
i checked the xl bb to saddle range. i use 79cm. the xl has about 4cm to spare.

so i bought the xl.

i biught shorter stem(s) to cut the top tube to 680 to 690 but the size was fine and had no back issues after a cozple of plank and side plank sessions. i never fitted it and returned it.

i have about 4 to 5 cm exposed dropper -just enough.
i toyed also with the notion of shorter cranks but didnt bother in the end. my main goal with that notion was to swap sram for shimano and secondly a fear of pedal strikes. any comments here relate to izzo ratjer tgan jeffsy so i will stay on point.

im 183cm tall, but as you see, height is not the sizing principal. it is incidental. you will also see the xl izzo is for people 184 cm and above... but at the borderline you need to think a bit about how the bike will fit YOU, not mr average and some of the above might get you thinking.

hope that helps

have fun

Interesting take and helpful for me. Appreciate the response. Curious what your inseam length is, cause like u say each person is unique and that results in differences in how a bike feels for sure.

you totally missed the point...
take the measurements of your current bike,...
read the mail and start to think. noone else can do thus for you.

nb i would not go to the top of the saddle height range, yer front wheel will lift. you need to think about all this.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 5:54 Quote
notnew wrote:

you totally missed the point...
take the measurements of your current bike,...
read the mail and start to think. noone else can do thus for you.

nb i would not go to the top of the saddle height range, yer front wheel will lift. you need to think about all this.

Actually I 100% got your point and appreciate your time to respond as well as your point of view.

I’ve already spent waaaay too much time analyzing numbers. Just wanted some real life examples before dropping $7k on something I’ve not had a chance to sit on.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 12:06 Quote
Timberjack75 wrote:
Colorlightspacetime wrote:
I'm 6' 1" and 34 1/4 inseam. I've only ridden size large bikes over the last 20 years until I bought my 2019 Jeffsy in XL.

I originally bought the 2019 Jeffsy in size L, road it on the street and decided the sizing felt like every other bike I've own. I exchanged it for the XL and never looked back. This is the first bike I've owned that actually feels like it fits me.

Ya. Not surprising as I continue my research. Thanks for the feedback.

What was it that made it feel right for you as compared to the larges you’ve been riding? Stack height, cockpit length, other??? You able to pinpoint any specific aspect?

Both of those for sure. I was able to get the saddle closer to the height of the handlebars (still above though) with the stack and the longer reach felt much more appropriate right out of the box. I did swap the 50mm stem for a 32mm stem after 6 months of riding or so. I was able to put my saddle right in the center of the dropper post with the 32mm stem, but it wasn't necessary to swap the stem in my situation. I did it just to make the bike feel a little more playful. I haven't really pinpointed anything else about the size, I think the reach made the biggest difference.

On a side note, I bought a Yeti Arc in size large early this year. Yeti's size guide puts me right in the middle of their size large. I spoke with multiple sources and was convinced to get the large even though I was skeptical. After months of riding and tinkering I was never able to get the bike to feel right. I ended up buying another one in an XL and experienced the same thing as when I got the Jeffsy...Instantly felt like it fit me out of the box. I have ridden the XL approximately 100 miles and without a doubt this is my size. Go figure the Arc has a 490mm reach just like the Jeffsy.

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 12:49 Quote
jeez....
reach is not the defining characteristic of bike length. it is the effective top tube (+stem). that is the frames measurement of length from saddle (at a height) to the handlebar.
for a given seat tube angle and stack, yes, reach is a comparison, but if those 2 things vary between bikes then reach by itself is not a defining comparison between two different bikes.

then you gotta look at your riding position.
i ride bikes a bit stretched out.
a buddy who is same height rides with his torso pretty straight up.

so in jeffsy speak im am an xl and he is an l

when sizing bikes measure your old steed, think about what you might want to tweak and compare to the geo of the bike yer considering.. and look at real and efdective STA.... no you definitely cant compare a straight seat tube (ripmo) with one with a 10 or 15 degree kink (canyon strive) if you like yer saddle 6 inches above the handlebar (exaggeration... but you get the point)

...and take the industry jargon with a modicum of salt...
in a few years we'll be fed a new reference to some other number or feature and we'll all be ohh the turning circle arcs ....I'd better buy a new bike...
....hmmm

yip, bad day at work.
so now to be helpful

timberjack, get off the pot and get an XL

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 16:35 Quote
Colorlightspacetime wrote:

Both of those for sure. I was able to get the saddle closer to the height of the handlebars (still above though) with the stack and the longer reach felt much more appropriate right out of the box. I did swap the 50mm stem for a 32mm stem after 6 months of riding or so. I was able to put my saddle right in the center of the dropper post with the 32mm stem, but it wasn't necessary to swap the stem in my situation. I did it just to make the bike feel a little more playful. I haven't really pinpointed anything else about the size, I think the reach made the biggest difference.

On a side note, I bought a Yeti Arc in size large early this year. Yeti's size guide puts me right in the middle of their size large. I spoke with multiple sources and was convinced to get the large even though I was skeptical. After months of riding and tinkering I was never able to get the bike to feel right. I ended up buying another one in an XL and experienced the same thing as when I got the Jeffsy...Instantly felt like it fit me out of the box. I have ridden the XL approximately 100 miles and without a doubt this is my size. Go figure the Arc has a 490mm reach just like the Jeffsy.

Thanks again for shedding some light on your situation - much appreciated

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 16:36 Quote
notnew wrote:

timberjack, get off the pot and get an XL

Lol - thanks for that. I was gettin there myself.

Cheers!

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 19:49 Quote
The xl was the right choice for me at 6' I recently sat on a L and it felt cramped.

• Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.011772
Mobile Version of Website