Super enduro vs DH decision

PB Forum :: Downhill
Super enduro vs DH decision
  • Previous Page
O+
Posted: May 4, 2021 at 9:59 Quote
hi all!

how many of you have decided to get with a super enduro bike (180mm-190mm) over a conventional DH bike in recent times?

Ive ridden bikes for a very long time and it seems these 180-190 travel super enduros are making it harder and harder to justify a full DH bike for anything other than racing. I understand the stability and stiffness achieved with a dual crown and also a true DH rig like the Supreme is going to be much plusher....but for the 90% of us that are not DH racers, these Super Enduros are very tempting...Ive been on the hunt for a new DH bike for about a year now (you probably have seen my other posts) but bikes like the Propain Spindrift with 190mm out front are something that's really got my mind.

more of just an open conversation starter than anything

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 14:33 Quote
Long travel enduros have most definitely taken up more than just middle ground in the the dh world ! I am seeing less and less dual crown forks at the resorts(lift access parks) and a lot more enduros! With that being said I absolutely love my dh bike and ride my best most confident self on it compared to any other genre of bike and it is the only bike I own (out of funds for more bikes) but would absolutely like something almost as capable with a little more trail manners for when the parks are closed ! If you like trails and park super enduros! If you can afford have one of each why not lol

O+
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 21:43 Quote
Here's another thing to think about.
If you have a trail bike and a dh bike vs a trail bike and super enduoro

With the super enduro you might ride it on some of the harder trails you get your trail bike on (trails that would be a hell no for a dh bike) and as a result get more use/seat time/familiarity with the super enduro.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 2:16 Quote
on a dh track i dont think anything will be better then a clasic dh rig

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 22:17 Quote
Robdog1 wrote:
on a dh track i dont think anything will be better then a clasic dh rig

+1. On a pure DH track the Dual Crowns will always give you much more stability and control then any Single Crown.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
I keep coming back to a 180 travel 27.5 enduro bike with a dual crown

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 6:48 Quote
if you can afford it, there's a lot of positives to having a dedicated DH rig. There stupid fun and you don't beat the crap out of your daily trail/enduro rig. win win.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 7:30 Quote
I had the same problem as you and went for DH bike. Tbh I just push the bike where normally I used to ride uphill. Big Grin It takes more effort and time, but all it takes is commitment. Maybe I made a mistake but I just went with my heart. After all, it should be fun right ? Super enduro was just too reasonable for me but sometimes I regret my decision. After all bike parks is just 10% of my riding.

It makes it harder and I ride much less on local trails nowadays but in bike park ? Shieet its super cool to have a dh bike Big Grin But I skip all those flowy trails that are not steep enough. Also with a true DH bike that is well planted, its kinda harder to jump. It requires more effort to pump it before jump, especially exhausting on Air lines with jumps one ofter another.

In Whistler for example its a completely different story. Jumps there have some space between each other and you have plenty of time to prepare your position for every single jump.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 9:56 Quote
I think I should add to the familiarity part on my post.

With the super enduro (that gets ridden more) your more likely to be able to ride the bike at its/your limit.

While a dh bike you might spend a run or even a day converting your style to long slack low and soft mode.. (all the while you'd be faster on the more familiar super enduro)
And a few days getting to peak performance on the dh bike where you can actually ride faster than the familiar super enduro.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
I have a 180mm free ride bike from 2008 with a dual crown, you'd be surprised what you can pedal a DH up, just put it in the granny gear and stand up and you have loads of traction. New bikes like Canfield's one.2 are bridging the gap too, with an efficient pedaling platform with a dual crown fork and DH geo.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 13:30 Quote
Reichmann Engineering in Immenstaad / Germany is working right now on a Super Enduro / Freeride frame.
The SENDuro for dual crown fork and a few other new features.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 4:52 Quote
I forgot to mention 1 most important diference between those two.

Riding position - on DH bike its much more comfortable downhill. On Enduro you are more leaned forward and you have to strengthen your back a lot to do multiple bike park runs during the day. You can negate it a little bit ofc by changing handlebars to higher or puting some spacers.

Posted: May 25, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
I went with a Scott Ransom after talking to way too many people, wish I followed my gut. Im now attempting to sell it so i can buy a true DH rig because i only ride the park.

Posted: May 25, 2021 at 21:16 Quote
JFonz wrote:
I went with a Scott Ransom after talking to way too many people, wish I followed my gut. Im now attempting to sell it so i can buy a true DH rig because i only ride the park.

The issue is the fact you got a ransom... out of all the enduro bikes and you chose that lol.
They have them at a local hire shop and nobody wants them.. even as hire bikes lol.
freeride/pedalable dh bikes are around like the torque, clash, etc the 29er giga will knock ya socks off Cool

If you only ride park why didnt you get a DH bike first?

FL
Posted: May 25, 2021 at 23:09 Quote
for me, it come down to pedalling. Am I pedalling up? enduhro. push or up lift DH rig. Nothing, NOTHING will DH like a full on DH bike! Suss tune an geo for enduhro will be a compromise on DH over a full on DH suss tune an geo an vice versa for pedalling up

• Previous Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.012018
Mobile Version of Website