Priorities:New Wheels vs dropper

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Priorities:New Wheels vs dropper
| Next Page
Posted: May 6, 2021 at 17:25 Quote
You don't really notice it till you ride the Hydra. Basically, there is no play anytime in any gear at any cadence with the hydra. There is not much with the Torch, but once you ride the Hydra and get back on the torch very noticable. My Torches were silent when I got them, came with the Reserve wheelset I got. I had to change the freehub and I lost some of the grease and they got louder. My Hydras still buzz, just a little quieter than my Torches.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 20:15 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
Explodo wrote:
Wheelsets are place where it really is good to shoot for the highest quality(not price) you can get. It makes a big difference. I wouldn't skimp on that unless you don't plan on holding onto the bike anyway.

So, fix your seatpost. Seatposts and the wheels you should be shooting for aren't really in the same price category.

On that note, what wheels do you prefer? What hubs?

I’m in the market, like to descend but not afraid to climb to get there, good mix of flow and chunk. My order would be 650b rather than 29”

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 20:20 Quote
I’ve been looking at race face
arc 30 on Pb for ~$500. Also looking at ordering Hunt trail wides. The latter being more trail orbited and Race Face helping the HT hold up as things get chunky/rowdier which is less frequent for me as I’m more typically riding flow and PNW trail.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 20:23 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:
I ended up getting some WeAreOne Unions in 27.5, with Industry9 hydras. Had ordered them direct from WeAreOne back at the end of April but found out they’re about 4months behind on building up wheels so cancelled the order and was looking at something different.

But then found out there’s a local (to me) custom wheel builder who deals in WA1 stuff. And he had a set ready to build, so I ordered from him. I just got got the message from the wheel builder that they’re ready to roll. Cant wait to go snag them this weekend.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
natas2125 wrote:
I would stick with the 27.5 set up but I'm not a big fan of 29ers so I would go with the dropper first, that being said I would go with some we are one composites with some dt350 hubs. I actually just had some built up to replace some sc reserves that I had as I switched back to a 27.5 from the 29's.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 20:26 Quote
What didn’t you like about the 29s on your HT?
What size tire are you planning to run on the new wheel set ?

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 5:33 Quote
Dreiner - there was a recent pink bike review of the dtswiss ex1700 wheelset. That would be a good place to start. You can do it a little cheaper with Hope pro 4 hubs and dtswiss ex511 rims through a custom build online.

Explodo - I can't comment on the torch hubs but the hydra are pretty nice. I had the ibis logo hubs and they failed under load and I stripped some pawls. I went with the hydra over other hubs because they initially have only one pawl in contact with drive ring, but are designed to flex under load to progressively engage more and more pawls. They also have a nice noise for the trail. They have become something I don't have to think about. I never had Chris King anything so I can't comment there. His stuff always looked super cool, even back in the 90s.

Posted: May 9, 2021 at 20:02 Quote
Just got my WeAreOne Unions, they’re on Orange I-nine Hydras, with orange spoke nipples, Sapim Race Spokes.

Gotta say, this is a gorgeous set of wheels. Couldn’t have been happier with the builder. Hubsessed cycle works in Ogden, Utah.

| Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005558
Mobile Version of Website