Fork upgrade

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 7, 2021 at 14:14 Quote
Hi guys a friend of mine said to me that if I were to upgrade my forks i would then need to upgrade my rear suspension. The bike in question is a 2016 giant stance 120mm forks possible upgrade to 140mm, believe the rear shock is 120mm aswell. Can I upgrade just the forks or would it be best to upgrade the rear to.

Posted: May 7, 2021 at 16:01 Quote
Perhaps he is thinking to maintain the bikes current geometry by updating the rear also. It is not necessary to upgrade the rear suspension, and depending on the design of the rear triangle that may not even be advisable. I'm guessing the new fork is an upgrade, and 20mm is within reasonable limits. It will give you a little more cushion on the downs but at the same time may make the ups a different story depending on how you intend to set it up as you will be altering the bikes geometry somewhat. You'll be fine.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 2:33 Quote
It's a lot more difficult to change the rear travel on a full suspension bike that hasn't been designed to allow it. In most cases the frame has been designed for a shock with very specific dimensions, and installing a different size shock without replacing any other parts might work, but it probably won't and could cause damage.

On the other hand, if you install a much better fork than the one you currently have, you might find that it significantly outperforms the shock. In that case you might also eventually want to upgrade the shock to match, but it would still be the same size as the existing one.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 6:07 Quote
Putting 140mm travel forks on the front should not be an issue.
The rear is 120mm travel, but the shock is 184mm in length with 44mm travel I believe (best to get this confirmed).
You want to get a new shock for the rear I would get one with the same dimensions or you might get issues as mentioned in the posts above.
If you get a new fork for the front, it may be best to at the very least get the rear serviced if it never has been.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 18:57 Quote
Antwon442 wrote:
Hi guys a friend of mine said to me that if I were to upgrade my forks i would then need to upgrade my rear suspension. The bike in question is a 2016 giant stance 120mm forks possible upgrade to 140mm, believe the rear shock is 120mm aswell. Can I upgrade just the forks or would it be best to upgrade the rear to.

I just did exactly that on my son's stance. 140mm manitou minute pro fork to give him some more cush for the bike park. I did upgrade the rear shock too but kept the same amount of travel.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005282
Mobile Version of Website