Reach and braking power

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Reach and braking power
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 8, 2021 at 11:23 Quote
Hi all

I have Shimano Zee brake. Just spent the last few hours to get rid of all air in the line.

When I let the reach adjustment all the way out, I can get full power of the brake. But when I get the lever in, there is no power. Is there a step I did not get?

There is no bite point setting on these.

Thanks for your help!!

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2021 at 15:08 Quote
Marzo2 wrote:
Hi all

I have Shimano Zee brake. Just spent the last few hours to get rid of all air in the line.

When I let the reach adjustment all the way out, I can get full power of the brake. But when I get the lever in, there is no power. Is there a step I did not get?

Thanks for your help!!

Hey, did you ever get this figured out? I have a similar issue. When i bring in the reach, i lose a good percent of braking power.

Posted: Aug 15, 2021 at 9:53 Quote
Try an “overbleed”. With the funnel on the leaver, and the reach adjust set to where you like it, remove the pads and pull the leaver 1-2, maybe 3 times at the most. It may take a few tries before you get the amount right so you can get the pads in with out any rubbing. Basically this compensates for the material lost due to the pads wearing down.

Posted: Aug 16, 2021 at 23:11 Quote
yolomtb wrote:
Marzo2 wrote:
Hi all

Thanks for your help!!

Hey, did you ever get this figured out? I have a similar issue. When i bring in the reach, i lose a good percent of braking power.

Sorry for the late response. I did find a solution, but 2 things made all the difference:
First, I changed my bleeding technique (reach all the way out) to this one https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=piWBVDh1pTE

Second, I found that my brake pads were too far from the rotor, so before installing the wheel, I do 1 full squeeze of the lever. This « tricks » the caliper kind of like a bite point adjustment.

I can now set my lever close to the bar and have full power.

Hope this help

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007929
Mobile Version of Website