Problems with E type derailleur and bottom bracket

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Problems with E type derailleur and bottom bracket
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 8, 2021 at 16:03 Quote
I have a cheapy 2008 Giant Rincon that is my guest mountain bike. The bottom bracket was shot. I couldn't even get it off so I had to have a bike shop pull it off. They tossed it and I didn't think about the spindle length. It has an E type front deraiileur which means that it is mounted between the frame and the bottom bracket. This necessitates a special e type bottom bracket. If you look at the frame you can see that the there is less frame on the drive side where the der mount goes. I want to replace the crankset with a different set that I have which has the same number of teeth. The bottom bracket that set took (off of another bike) had a 122.5 spindle, non E type. Well, there are no Type E bottom brackets that have 68mm shells with 122.5 spindles anywhere that I can find, all are out of stock. There are Type E bottom brackets that have 113 spindles. My questions: 1. How to find a crank that would fit a 113 spindle. 2. Is it possible to ditch the E type derailleur and go to a single ring on the front and use a 113 spindle? 3. Are there any other not too expensive solutions? Thanks for any help, I keep running into dead ends.

Posted: May 8, 2021 at 19:26 Quote
To replace an e type bb you need a 73mm shell with, not 68. 73 should bolt up just fine as long as you know or can find out the spindle with

You can install a 4mm spacer on the 73 mm bb and get rid of the front derailleur, if you just want to keep the cranks

Or get all new parts bb, crank, derailleur use a 68mm bb shell and spindle length according to chain line requirements

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 15:27 Quote
aurthor wrote:
To replace an e type bb you need a 73mm shell with, not 68. 73 should bolt up just fine as long as you know or can find out the spindle with

You can install a 4mm spacer on the 73 mm bb and get rid of the front derailleur, if you just want to keep the cranks

Or get all new parts bb, crank, derailleur use a 68mm bb shell and spindle length according to chain line requirements

Thanks. I just tried a 73mm shell with the correct spindle length. It didn't work, the crank ends up rubbing. Maybe I will try spacers and a single speed crank. Or just add a spacer and try the triple again.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004425
Mobile Version of Website