DT Swiss R470DB vs stock Bontrager wheelset

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
DT Swiss R470DB vs stock Bontrager wheelset
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 8, 2021 at 17:05 Quote
I've got a 2018 Domane SL5 Disc and I'm currently running the stock wheels (Bontrager TLR). There isn't much info out there on them, but from what I've read and felt, they're pretty beefy. I'm looking to slim down and perhaps stiffen up a tad - just something to bring some more enjoyment to the ride - without breaking the bank.

I've seen some DT Swiss R470DBs show up on the second-hand market. Seems like they came stock on some Specialized bikes, but there isn't a ton of info out there. I'm wondering if they would be a noticable enough upgrade for the money (~$500 CAD), or if I'm better off spending a bit more for a greater improvement.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 8:26 Quote
nickbabsq wrote:
I've got a 2018 Domane SL5 Disc and I'm currently running the stock wheels (Bontrager TLR). There isn't much info out there on them, but from what I've read and felt, they're pretty beefy. I'm looking to slim down and perhaps stiffen up a tad - just something to bring some more enjoyment to the ride - without breaking the bank.

I've seen some DT Swiss R470DBs show up on the second-hand market. Seems like they came stock on some Specialized bikes, but there isn't a ton of info out there. I'm wondering if they would be a noticable enough upgrade for the money (~$500 CAD), or if I'm better off spending a bit more for a greater improvement.

Are you still running the stock tires? The reason I ask is you might find it much cheaper and more effective to swap to some high quality supple rubber on the bike before you go for a wheel swap. Tires can make such a huge difference to the ride and fun factor on a bike.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 15:23 Quote
Hey! Yes, I upgraded tires a year ago and you're right - a world of difference. Now that's started to feel like normal, so I'm looking to the next thing.

Posted: Jun 4, 2021 at 8:54 Quote
nickbabsq wrote:
Hey! Yes, I upgraded tires a year ago and you're right - a world of difference. Now that's started to feel like normal, so I'm looking to the next thing.

Ok, so those Bontrager's are just under 1800g for the set, tubeless compatible, come with classic jspokes (means they are easy to repair), 19.5 mm innner width and have no weight limit. So those DT Swiss wheels come in at 1670 g for the set which is about 100g savings. No idea about how they compare otherwise. I don't know how much you weigh, but if I was upgrading my wheels I'd be looking at shaving 200g off the pair of them for improved performance. Have you looked at new wheels at the British online shops like Wiggle, Chain Reaction, etc. - $500 USD should get you something decently light and of reasonable quality. Not DT Swiss quality mind you. I'm a big fan of Fulcrum / Campy wheels.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.004647
Mobile Version of Website