Which Yeti - SB150 or 130?

PB Forum :: Yeti
Which Yeti - SB150 or 130?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 9, 2021 at 19:48 Quote
I got into MTB at the start of COVID. I started out with a Scott Spark 970 29er cross country/trail bike with low level components and 130 fork/120 rear travel. I live in Orange County, CA and have been riding 4-5 days per week and love it. I’m finding my Spark isn’t equipped for the chunkier trails I am pushing myself to ride, and feel like I need to get an enduro bike. I’m looking at Yeti 150 or 130, or an Ibis Ripmo. If Yeti, 150 or 130? Yeti better than Ibis?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 2:22 Quote
i would get the ibis as it pedals and climbs as well if not better then both the 150 and 130 and handles the chunk amazing aswell.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 2:24 Quote
but if you want to compramise the plushness then i think you will maybe find the yeti a little faster and the yeti 130 would be also quite playful i would cancel the sb150 out the mix unless you are willing to strugle a bit on the climbs compared to the ripmo or sb130

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 7:11 Quote
Great feedback. What do you have?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 7:51 Quote
So I'll say this: I had a 130mm rear travel bike when I lived in orange county and went up to a 155mm rear travel bike when I moved to AZ. Out here, I'm getting an SB150 b/c of how chunky things are. However, if I were still in Orange County, I'd go 130 all the way. When I ride my 155mm bike when I'm back home, I miss the shorter travel bike. The climbs are much more of a PITA on the 155 and I don't feel I need nearly that travel on any trail I've ridden in Orange County.

FWIW I typically ride the black trails at Aliso Creek. Things like RockIt, Car Wreck, etc, I feel I don't nearly need a 155mm rear travel bike, and something like 130mm would be perfect.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Split the difference by getting the SB130 Lunch Ride.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:40 Quote
Thanks for the input all!

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 16:01 Quote
Coming from someone who lives in Aliso and rides an SB150 out here 4 days a week: the SB150 is the absolute perfect bike for this area.

The 130 is more of a trail bike than an Enduro and it's not going to be a whole lot more rear travel than what you already have. Bigger fork of course. Personally I'd want that extra travel for lots of the big drops and rolls/g-outs.

I agree that the 130 is fine for Lynx/Rock-It/Car Wreck but once you conquer those and start hitting some of the bigger stuff (Bong, Telonics, TNA, Hawk, Smoothies roller, etc.) you'll want the extra travel.

Climbing has never been an issue, I just lock out the rear travel and I'm set.

Both are great bikes though and you can't go wrong - just depends on how much gnar you want to hit, haha.

The Ibis' are great bikes too - the Ripmo will be more similar to the SB150 and the Ripley will be more similar to the SB130. Both of those come in aluminum frames now too which is cool to keep cost down.

Santa Cruz Megatower and Hightower are great choices too.

At this point it's prob going to come down to what's available anyways?

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 18:06 Quote
Great feedback. Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 15, 2021 at 5:28 Quote
hopperdirtbag wrote:
Coming from someone who lives in Aliso and rides an SB150 out here 4 days a week: the SB150 is the absolute perfect bike for this area.

The 130 is more of a trail bike than an Enduro and it's not going to be a whole lot more rear travel than what you already have. Bigger fork of course. Personally I'd want that extra travel for lots of the big drops and rolls/g-outs.

I agree that the 130 is fine for Lynx/Rock-It/Car Wreck but once you conquer those and start hitting some of the bigger stuff (Bong, Telonics, TNA, Hawk, Smoothies roller, etc.) you'll want the extra travel.

Climbing has never been an issue, I just lock out the rear travel and I'm set.

Both are great bikes though and you can't go wrong - just depends on how much gnar you want to hit, haha.

The Ibis' are great bikes too - the Ripmo will be more similar to the SB150 and the Ripley will be more similar to the SB130. Both of those come in aluminum frames now too which is cool to keep cost down.

Santa Cruz Megatower and Hightower are great choices too.

At this point it's prob going to come down to what's available anyways?

Agree 100%. I went back on forth between the 130 & 150 for the better part of a year. Multiple test rides on both, didn't notice much of an efficiency loss pedaling the 150 when compared to it's descent capability. I'm 210 pounds and rarely ever use the lock out on my Float X2, and no volume spacers. The bike is a monster and has saved my butt several times when poor decisions have been made.

I'm sure the 130 does many things very well, and some things a bit better (pedaling, tight switchbacks, etc), but every time I'm pointed down or in the air I'm glad I went with the 150. Either way the Switch Infinity is A+. I came from a gen 3 Nomad with VPP and tons of pedal bob (coil). When I'm huffing it up a hill on my Yeti I can look down and see the shock cycling on each pedal stroke but I don't feel the suspension bob in my legs or the seat.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010088
Mobile Version of Website