Shotgun vs Mac Ride child seat?

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Shotgun vs Mac Ride child seat?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 6:37 Quote
Thinking on buying one of these two. Can anyone provide some feedback? I'm more into the shotgun.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 7:43 Quote
t1t0 wrote:
Thinking on buying one of these two. Can anyone provide some feedback? I'm more into the shotgun.

Have the shotgun and and have been using it with a 3yr old, now 4.5. Works great, he loves it! I ride a 450 reach frame and would imagine shorter reach would cause your knees to bow out a bit riding. Get the bars also as he loves having his own bars to hold onto. Also, if you treat your bike well, get some frame protection for the top tube. After a lot of riding together, it does cause some friction and has marked my 3M wrap. Might damage paint?

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 9:33 Quote
We were trying to choose between these two for ages and in the end went macride as I just couldn’t get my head around having the shotgun attached to my frame, also we wanted to be able to swap between bikes so the macride seemed the best fit and has been amazing! Been on a huge variety of rides with our 3 and 4 year olds on it over the last year or two and recommend it to everyone we meet who asks about it! The ability to fit the special spacer on each bike to make switching bikes easy was great and has good adjustability to make it work great for your and your child. Don’t notice much difference while your riding other than the extra weight on climbs! not much disturbance to pedalling and with them quite central it makes it stable

I think either is a great choice and we were stumped for ages but I think if you want to use it on different bikes/want it to fit quickly (takes about 30 seconds) and don’t like the idea of it touching/rubbing the frame you won’t regret the extra spend on the macride I am sure.

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 9:51 Quote
We had this debate last year.

Ended up going Mac-ride mainly because its more adjustable. The Shotgun I don't think you have as much flexibility to move back&forth, or adjust the foot-peg position.

Also, the Mac-ride has a nice banana seat that keeps the kid in place when you're getting rowdy.

Nothing but good things to say about the Mac-ride. It's super solid and well-built, light weight, so easy to install, swap between bikes, or adjust. The little ones LOVE it. Definitely buy the extra headset spacers if you have multiple bikes, it makes swapping between bikes soooo easy.

For the handlebar, we used some hockey tape on the handlebar to make a nice little grip for kiddo to hold onto. I don't hate the idea of the Shotgun extra handlebar, seems cool, but 2 mins with some tape and you're good to go (without extra clutter or weight).

Here's some stoke for ya. Either option, you will love it!

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:18 Quote
If you're still concerned about your frame getting damaged by the seat, I'd definitely suggest getting a RideWrap frame protection kit for the bike. I got one on mine after using 3M tape for a number of years and it definitely holds up A LOT better than standard protective tape will. It is also self healing which comes in really handy when you do inevitably mark it up on the trails. Best of luck in your decision!

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 6:31 Quote
We use the Shotgun and it’s been great. My son is 3.5 yrs old and no issues. I have an invisiframe kit on my bike and it hasn’t left a mark. We use to have a Thule Yepp and it was a nightmare to take on and off and was way too bulky to have any normal riding position, but was useful when he wasn’t old enough to sit on a seat like the Shotgun.

I have long legs so I still have to bow legs slightly when pedaling but it’s not bad and you can still grunt up some steep climbs.

Posted: May 25, 2021 at 3:38 Quote
I've been trying to search for a used one (mac-ride) but no signs of it. What's the deal with this? People don't buy it or people don't sell it (it can be used only until 6yo though).

Does anyone know where can i find a used one?

Posted: Jul 3, 2022 at 0:47 Quote
t1t0 wrote:
I've been trying to search for a used one (mac-ride) but no signs of it. What's the deal with this? People don't buy it or people don't sell it (it can be used only until 6yo though).

Does anyone know where can i find a used one?

Did you find one? I think they are pretty rare in Europe. People think they are not as safe as strapped in options and they are not certified by EU…

To get mine I set up a notification with a French used buy/sell site and eventually bargained one down to 150€ - though I very nearly lost patience and ordered new.

My 18 month old now happily rides up front on hour long sorties with me. Can’t imagine the shotgun would work well for this age.

Thinking about getting little handlebars, just because they are cute!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.006222
Mobile Version of Website