close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Nukeproof Scout to big?

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 10, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
I'm currently using a 2021 Trek X caliber 8 and been wanting the Nukeproof Scout Pro ever since I saw it late last year. I can only find one in the UK and its a size large, its not due till middle of July but I can buy and return for free if it doesn't fit.

Now my X caliber is a size medium, I should really be riding an M/L for my size but the shop only had a medium and a large in and due to the seat tube not dropping down low enough into the bike due to water bottle bolts the bloke in the shop said I would be better with the medium.
It's certainly easy for me to control but I always have the feeling I'm to far forward over the bars with my weight especially when standing on the bike.

I really want the Scout and the extra top tube length will be welcome I feel, unfortunately the large comes with a 170mm dropper which will take me to high for my inseam so I plan to use a shim to bring it down 30mm.

I'm 510 with shoes with a 30 inch inseam and 511 arm span. What do you guys think, will it be OK or to big?

Spec below

Trek:

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/mountain-bikes/cross-country-mountain-bikes/x-caliber/x-caliber-8/p/33193/?colorCode=grey_black

Scout:

https://nukeproof.com/products/2021-scout-290

Posted: May 10, 2021 at 17:22 Quote
I have ridden large for ever with a 29/30 inseam and 5'11. Modern bikes feel tight. Especially with wide bars seated climbing. So much so the extra large sizing is better. Seat tubes are steep. I climb a lot. I also ride short droppers, because old habits die hard and controlling the bike from the seat matters. Its gotts be some harry down hill to drop it all the way. Add in 29 inch barge wheels, and i now need a full test ride on every option. An xl with huge hoops and wide bars im feeling like im riding a bike too big. My focus is climbs because downhills have me pushin to pass and lookin for big features to float. But a pedal hitting mush ball that is just to big is awefull. It is a weird fit to have short legs, but i think we have it easier than long legged guys. Shim the post and dont look back if the rest of it feels good.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 1:41 Quote
nematon785 wrote:
I have ridden large for ever with a 29/30 inseam and 5'11. Modern bikes feel tight. Especially with wide bars seated climbing. So much so the extra large sizing is better. Seat tubes are steep. I climb a lot. I also ride short droppers, because old habits die hard and controlling the bike from the seat matters. Its gotts be some harry down hill to drop it all the way. Add in 29 inch barge wheels, and i now need a full test ride on every option. An xl with huge hoops and wide bars im feeling like im riding a bike too big. My focus is climbs because downhills have me pushin to pass and lookin for big features to float. But a pedal hitting mush ball that is just to big is awefull. It is a weird fit to have short legs, but i think we have it easier than long legged guys. Shim the post and dont look back if the rest of it feels good.

Good to hear riders inbetween sizes going bigger, I suppose it's down to personal preference, I like to be in control but I'm no "jumper" getting big airtime, I'd rather feel like I'm rolling over rocks than like their going to bring me off. Looking forward to trying the difference, I know it'll feel big at first as mine feels to small at the moment so the comparison will be greater.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 5:26 Quote
Similar issue, different size. At 6' 2" I'm in between L and XL for a lot of manufacturers. Although I was looking for a large, I picked up an XL Devinci Troy this spring. I had no opportunity to test ride it, in fact I didn't even put pedals on it at the shop. I was afraid it was going to cumbersome on the trails (came from a 6 yeard old, 436 reach 27.5 bike, much too small for me I know, but fun as hell all the same). First ride and all my fears evaporated. The local trails are relatively low speed tech with a smattering of steep chunky sections and short but steep and rough rock rolls. The big bike is far more stable as safe feeling, a more planted climber (the climbs are just as, if not more so techy than the decents), and I think all I'm giving up is the ease of pulling up the front end/bunnyhopping, but I attribute much of that to the long (445mm) chainstays. The coil shock that I've yet to really dial in is probably muting some of the poppiness too.

Like your scenario, the 170mm Trans-X dropper than came on the bike is a bit too long for me too. Full extension is probably 15-20mm higher than ideal, though I'll briefly use it as a cheat mode when I'm fully gassed but faced with smooth climb. It's not a sustainable seating position but it's like an in-between standing and seated position to get more weight on the pedals with less effort. Eventually I might get a 180mm One-up with the ability to shim it down to 160, plus take advantage of the short insertion length and stack.

Long story short, I wouldn't let too high a seat post stop you from going for the larger size bike if you think it better suits your terrain and riding style.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
maxxx wrote:
Similar issue, different size. At 6' 2" I'm in between L and XL for a lot of manufacturers. Although I was looking for a large, I picked up an XL Devinci Troy this spring. I had no opportunity to test ride it, in fact I didn't even put pedals on it at the shop. I was afraid it was going to cumbersome on the trails (came from a 6 yeard old, 436 reach 27.5 bike, much too small for me I know, but fun as hell all the same). First ride and all my fears evaporated. The local trails are relatively low speed tech with a smattering of steep chunky sections and short but steep and rough rock rolls. The big bike is far more stable as safe feeling, a more planted climber (the climbs are just as, if not more so techy than the decents), and I think all I'm giving up is the ease of pulling up the front end/bunnyhopping, but I attribute much of that to the long (445mm) chainstays. The coil shock that I've yet to really dial in is probably muting some of the poppiness too.

Like your scenario, the 170mm Trans-X dropper than came on the bike is a bit too long for me too. Full extension is probably 15-20mm higher than ideal, though I'll briefly use it as a cheat mode when I'm fully gassed but faced with smooth climb. It's not a sustainable seating position but it's like an in-between standing and seated position to get more weight on the pedals with less effort. Eventually I might get a 180mm One-up with the ability to shim it down to 160, plus take advantage of the short insertion length and stack.

Long story short, I wouldn't let too high a seat post stop you from going for the larger size bike if you think it better suits your terrain and riding style.

Many thanks, your post has put my mind at rest, I was going to spend 2 months worrying. I know it's always nice to read what you want to read but what you said had substance to it as well.

I'm hoping I can shim the the Brand-X Ascend there's some debate across the internet such as below.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/brand-x-ascend-xl-travel-reduce/

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 8:25 Quote
As for shimming the dropper, I had the cartridge apart in my previous KS Integra post a good few times to replace the seals and bleed it (replacing seals did not stop it from leaking and sagging unfortunately). There is a top out bumper inside where in theory you could add some nylon spacers to reduce the stroke. I'm not sure how similar other designs are, but in a jam that could possibly be done. I don't really have interest in taking my brand new post apart to find out though.

I just run lower air pressure in my post so it returns a bit slower and I can catch it at the right height with my arse. Its encouraged me to play with seat height a bit more, where previously I would only run my seat all the way up or all the way down. Now I tend to lower it a bit if the climbs get tangly. It's fine for trail riding but if you're enduro racing you might want your seat to return to the ideal position before facing a pedaly bit.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 10:03 Quote
Hey!
I have the Scout 275 in XL.
I'm 5,11 and it does feel slightly too large but I prefer a larger bike to feel more stable at high speed.
If I had the choice again I would go with the Scout 290 in a size L. Hope this helps.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
Yes it does help, I've advertised my old bike ready for sale as I'm now confident it will fit, this is my dream hardtail till I progress to a full sus Reactor or Mega in a few years.

Posted: May 21, 2021 at 13:33 Quote
Update, ended up skipping the Scout Pro and went Reactor Elite carbon instead in a medium. Figured I'd skip another hardtail and go straight to a full sus, a move I'd end up doing in a couple of years anyway.

The bike is a sexy work of art

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 4:02 Quote
Shamrock92 wrote:
Hey!
I have the Scout 275 in XL.
I'm 5,11 and it does feel slightly too large but I prefer a larger bike to feel more stable at high speed.
If I had the choice again I would go with the Scout 290 in a size L. Hope this helps.

somewhat hijacking the OP thread (love the Reactor @L80ous)... can I ask why you would have preferred the 290 Scout with the benefit of hindsight?

I'm about to buy a new Scout frame and I'm torn between the 275 and 290. I already have a 275 Reactor which I love but have room for a hardtail for the flatter xc rides on bridlepaths and gravel trails through the woods. I'll save the Reactor for the gnarly trails and enduro races. I want the hardtail just for having fun on mellow ground.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 13:24 Quote
Hi Coombsd, I have just unboxed a Scout Pro 290 and must say I’m so impressed with the quality and finish of the frame and the spec of all the components, not the cheapest but with the way prices are at the minute I think the price is actually pretty fair. I originally bought a Santa Cruz chameleon but due to supply could only find an XL and it was just slightly too big and then managed to find a L Scout pro, I’m so glad I did, I think the finish and the overall package is so much better for a similar price package. As I understand it, (might be wrong), you can also somehow fit 275 wheels into the 290 frame but not the other way round. Not sure if anyone can confirm this? It is mentioned on the Nukeproof site.

Posted: Oct 27, 2021 at 7:19 Quote
I decided on a large 275 frame for my build because I had the wheel set and I want to focus on improving my bike handling rather than speed. I think I need to get some yellow pedals though...

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007240
Mobile Version of Website