Moving East :( Please Help me Pick a State

PB Forum :: USA - East
Moving East :( Please Help me Pick a State
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 13:23 Quote
So I’m originally from NE Ohio which is a very sad downhill MTB scene (no offense). I’ve lived in beautiful Idaho for the past two years and have taken up riding in both Idaho and Washington state.

I’m about a year into riding and am obsessed. I’ve progressed pretty well because of the accessibility to riding in the west and the amount of great local riders here to learn from.

Sadly, I am forced to relocate again... this time to the Eastern US. I have some say in the state so I need to choose wisely. I am so sad to be leaving a mountain biking friendly area. Right now we are between a handful of states: West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Michigan.

The city will also be important as well. Between those three, where can I still get some elevation and continue progressing as a rider?

Thanks

O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 6:30 Quote
You're not going to compare to the west. Similar situation for me. I grew up in SW Ohio Moved to LA - now I am in Charleston WV.
PA and VA might be your best bet.
Pittsburgh seems to have a pretty decent scene. There are some Trails and I think a bike park also - day trip to Ray's at least in the winter
Parts of Western VA/Eastern WV are really good - Always Snowshoe etc
Charleston, WV is OK- Kanawha state forest is close, Fayetteville, New River Gorge is about an hour away.
Asheville NC might be a good option if you can swing it.
As well as maybe Eastern PA/ NY / New England
Again its not gonna compare to the west but, there is some great riding in the east and benefit of being less crowded

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 7:36 Quote
You can try looking at Trailforks statistics to help make a decision. West Virginia doesn't appear to have a strong mtb scene compared to the other two states you mentioned, but has the highest trailhead for that elevation request you mentioned.

https://www.trailforks.com/region/west-virginia/
West Virginia trail stats:
1116 trails
1920 miles
Mostly blue trails: 562
Highest Trailhead: 9878
About 6 sub regions
Ride activity: past week – 172 rides 11 miles average distance

https://www.trailforks.com/region/pennsylvania/
4029 trails
5011 miles
Mostly blue trails: 1456
Highest Trailhead: 3135
About 17 trail sub-regions
Ride activity: past week – 1830 rides 13 miles average distance

https://www.trailforks.com/region/michigan/
3395 trails
6141 miles
Mostly blue: 928
Highest Trailhead: 1948
About 20 trail sub regions
Ride activity: past week – 1693 rides 15 miles average distance

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 8:48 Quote
I got to thinking about what I posted above and decided to double check West Virginia highest trailhead statistic and it has to be way off. The highest point in WV is under 5000 (Spruce Knob - 4863 according to Google).
Trailforks needs an edit I think.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 17:47 Quote
Must have been fixed I see it as 4800 now

Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
I hear WV is amazing. I have a friend who was a semi pro downhill racer that moved there a loves it.

O+
Posted: Feb 21, 2022 at 18:23 Quote
The only real scene in Michigan is in the U.P..

O+
Posted: Feb 24, 2022 at 7:32 Quote
PA is OK with lots of great XC style riding. WV is the best IMHO. Snowshoe is world class DH and XC. WV is not far from a little place called Bryce that can be fun. Davis and Thomas WV is VERY cool little township area with some unique non-DH riding but the rumor is that DH lift trails may open in the next 1-2 years at Timberline Ski area. Those two towns also have a killer beer scene and growing foodie scene. We love it so much we bought a cabin there. https://www.pinkbike.com/news/east-bound-and-down-davis-west-virginia-2016.html

Posted: Mar 6, 2022 at 22:22 Quote
Upstate new york / catskill’s area

O+
Posted: Apr 21, 2022 at 6:06 Quote
I have made the same move recently and keep thinking about going back. In reality I just need to come to terms that I will eventually get lyme disease and have to get used to chunk over flow. Birdsboro preserve seems to be a good place. Its just outside of Pottsville.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.012382
Mobile Version of Website