LF 2.0mm thick rotor - Magura sold out

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
LF 2.0mm thick rotor - Magura sold out
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 11, 2021 at 18:43 Quote
Magura is out of stock everywhere I've looked for the storm HC 203mm rotor for at least another 2 months. I was wondering if anyone knows of another company that does 2.0mm thick brake rotors? Did a quick google search and didn't find anything. At the end of the day I wouldn't hesitate to run a 1.8mm rotor but would prefer to stick with the stock spec if anyone knows of one.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 20:56 Quote
0.1 mm per side is within the tolerance of brake pads.

Hayes Dominion rotors are claimed to be 1.95 mm, which probably means 2.0 mm stock material, minus surface finishing, which is probably the same as other 2 mm rotors.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 22:24 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
0.1 mm per side is within the tolerance of brake pads.

Hayes Dominion rotors are claimed to be 1.95 mm, which probably means 2.0 mm stock material, minus surface finishing, which is probably the same as other 2 mm rotors.

Yup I know it doesn't really matter but if I can find 2.0mm rotors might as well stick with em. TBH I'm not sure I'd notice the difference between any rotor design/pattern anyway. I'll see if it's possible to get the Hayes and if not I wont hesitate to get something else in 1.8mm.

I mean realistically the only theoretical concern would be if the pistons came too far out that they could be damaged/not return properly, but considering I very accidentally took my last brake pads all the way down to the metal backing plus 1 more day I think they can handle 0.2mm rotors with the pads replaced at the appropriate time lol.

Posted: May 11, 2021 at 22:36 Quote
A reasonable concern, but rotor thickness is a minor factor in popping out the pistons. Thicknesses of pad backing materials varies considerably. More importantly, as I found out the hard way, is the position of your caliper, relative to the rotor.

My pistons on one side weren't moving quite as well as on the other. Using the standard method of loosening the caliper, engaging the brake, and tightening the caliper with the brake engaged, my caliper was running drag-free, but off-centre by more than a full millimeter. That's more than an order of magnitude more variance than the 0.1 mm per side due to a 1.8 mm rotor. My pads were down to a paper-thin layer of friction material and a piston popped out.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 11:14 Quote
R-M-R wrote:
A reasonable concern, but rotor thickness is a minor factor in popping out the pistons. Thicknesses of pad backing materials varies considerably. More importantly, as I found out the hard way, is the position of your caliper, relative to the rotor.

My pistons on one side weren't moving quite as well as on the other. Using the standard method of loosening the caliper, engaging the brake, and tightening the caliper with the brake engaged, my caliper was running drag-free, but off-centre by more than a full millimeter. That's more than an order of magnitude more variance than the 0.1 mm per side due to a 1.8 mm rotor. My pads were down to a paper-thin layer of friction material and a piston popped out.

I could totally see that happening. I realized part of the reason I was having so much issue aligning my maguras is because after a bleed the pistons don't come out evenly. What I started doing was giving a half pull on the lever with the caliper off the bike, and then pushing back whichever side came out easier. Then when I give it another half pull they come out evenly and there's still lots of room to get it over the disc.

Thanks for the tip on the Hayes rotor. I'll see if it can be sourced.

Posted: May 12, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Maguras for me, too. My technique is to install a bleed block in one pair, then hold back one of the free pistons with a very broad screwdriver while pulling the lever a few times. The unrestricted piston moves out and I push it back. Repeat a few times, then do the same for all four pistons. Much more even movement afterward.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.008356
Mobile Version of Website