G5 not tubeless ready!?

PB Forum :: Trek
G5 not tubeless ready!?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 12, 2021 at 15:03 Quote
It never crossed my mind that the G5 in 29, which is a very new version of that tire and one that apparently the Enduro and downhill teams use, is actually not a tubeless ready tire.

I bought one and sealant is weeping through the sidewalls and the tires seems to go flat after about 15 hours. I'm hoping the sealant will take care of it, but I'm a little worried about riding it and the bead failing. (wire bead)

The only place Trek points out that this is not a tubeless ready tire is at the very last FAQ at the very bottom of the product page.
Any track employees have some insight here? My dealer assures me I will be refunded with the 30 day guarantee.

I would rather not even have to do that if the sealant is eventually going to take over, or am i going to burp that wire bead too easily?

My assumption is the team must be using some special version of this and not what's actually sold to the public.
Shady marketing.

Posted: May 13, 2021 at 9:27 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
It never crossed my mind that the G5 in 29, which is a very new version of that tire and one that apparently the Enduro and downhill teams use, is actually not a tubeless ready tire.

I bought one and sealant is weeping through the sidewalls and the tires seems to go flat after about 15 hours. I'm hoping the sealant will take care of it, but I'm a little worried about riding it and the bead failing. (wire bead)

The only place Trek points out that this is not a tubeless ready tire is at the very last FAQ at the very bottom of the product page.
Any track employees have some insight here? My dealer assures me I will be refunded with the 30 day guarantee.

I would rather not even have to do that if the sealant is eventually going to take over, or am i going to burp that wire bead too easily?

My assumption is the team must be using some special version of this and not what's actually sold to the public.
Shady marketing.

The G4 & G5 tires are not tubeless compatible. These are designed to run with tubes and we don't advertise them as a TLR/tubeless tire.

-Mitch

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 10:12 Quote
trek wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

Shady marketing.

The G4 & G5 tires are not tubeless compatible. These are designed to run with tubes and we don't advertise them as a TLR/tubeless tire.

-Mitch

I know it isn't your decision, Mitch, but that reflects very poorly on Trek. Tubeless has been the standard assumption for mountain bike tires for a long time now. And to have your premier downhill tire not be tubeless, and not point that out in bold letters isn't right. It's deception by omission and is quite disappointing. No one should have to scroll to the very last FAQ to realize that the tire doesn't meet the most basic standard for mountain bike tires.
I will still probably give the G6 a try when it comes out because I'm assuming there's no way they're making another non-TLR tire.

O+
Posted: May 13, 2021 at 10:44 Quote
Is Florian Nicolai or Charlie Harrison running 23 PSI in their tubes? Because I've seen in multiple places with bike checks that they run the G5 and pressures that low.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
ksilvey10 wrote:
trek wrote:
ksilvey10 wrote:

Shady marketing.

-Mitch

I know it isn't your decision, Mitch, but that reflects very poorly on Trek. Tubeless has been the standard assumption for mountain bike tires for a long time now. And to have your premier downhill tire not be tubeless, and not point that out in bold letters isn't right. It's deception by omission and is quite disappointing. No one should have to scroll to the very last FAQ to realize that the tire doesn't meet the most basic standard for mountain bike tires.
I will still probably give the G6 a try when it comes out because I'm assuming there's no way they're making another non-TLR tire.

I hear you, but we do always advertise tires that are TLR/tubeless-ready so that there isn't confusion. Sorry if you felt mislead!

As for your tire pressure Q, I'd have to check on that if it something they would share. 23 PSI isn't low for a tube and there are some heavier tube options out there to combat flats.

Edit, looks like the recent pressures have been higher than 23 PSI, Loris ran 30 PSI on his rear at a past race.

-Mitch

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 12:30 Quote
trek wrote:

I hear you, but we do always advertise tires that are TLR/tubeless-ready so that there isn't confusion. Sorry if you felt mislead!

As for your tire pressure Q, I'd have to check on that if it something they would share. 23 PSI isn't low for a tube and there are some heavier tube options out there to combat flats.

Edit, looks like the recent pressures have been higher than 23 PSI, Loris ran 30 PSI on his rear at a past race.

-Mitch

Speaking from past experience....I have apparently been running 13psi in some tubeless 29x2.6 XR4s with cushcore. Never questioned it until my buddies complained the the gauge on my pump was super low vs their gauge. Who's right? Not sure, but I'd agree, 23 isn't that low for a tube on a light(er) rider.

I'm getting a gauge so I can at least be consistent even if I want to be consistently low.

O+
Posted: May 24, 2021 at 14:03 Quote
Gotta say I’ve never been a fan of trek but seeing your customer service branch out into pink bike forums has changed my view, awesome to see!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008043
Mobile Version of Website