Propain Tyee 2020 AL vs Commencal Meta AM

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Propain Tyee 2020 AL vs Commencal Meta AM
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
O+
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 7:49 Quote
Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a new enduro bike to replace my medium 2016 Capra. I am 178cm/5 ft 10 and 78kg.

I have narrowed it down to:
Propain Tyee 29er with a Lyrik Select plus and Superdeluxe Coil versus The Commencal Meta Essential 2021.

With the bike to work scheme/some wangling I can get the Commencal for roughly 200 Euro cheaper than the Propain.

My riding is balanced between wet, natural and rooty trails and hard pack man made stuff. I do better when it's steep and struggle when it's flat and tight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 12:08 Quote
I have no comparison to the Meta, but I have a Tyee and I couldn't be happier with the bike, I really feel at home. I know that probably doesn't help you much but what I have to mention is if you can get the Meta faster it's probably the better choice.
I received my Tyee end of march (production date was end of january) and I still have to wait for my rock shox coil to get delivered because there are no rs coil shocks for the tyee since february. I received the sd ultimate air for free to shorten the waiting time, but there are so many people atm in the german forum who don't receive the bike and have to wait for the coil delivery which gets postponed date after date. delivery situation is really bad. so if you have time I can really recommend the tyee, but if you know that you get the meta way earlier I would get that bike

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 15:02 Quote
I can't comment on the Tyee but I have a 2021 Meta AM essential. The bike is very fast and stable over the steep and rough stuff. I find that it's a bit of a slug on the flat stuff however. It feels good going uphill and downhill but I don't overly enjoy pedaling it on the flat trails. Most of my local trails consist of a long climb up followed by a long descent so it works great for me but I would be cautious if you are riding more rolling terrain or flatter XC style trails. Perhaps the Meta TR would be more suited to this type of riding.

O+
Posted: May 15, 2021 at 2:54 Quote
Thanks for the replies ! I appreciate the input.

@ derechtefux: I didn't realise about the issues with the Coils. Might be a game changer. I guess this will hopefully change when production speeds up.

@mammothmounts: interesting to hear. Most of the trails we like to ride here have short steep climbs with even shorter (but sweet) descents. I don't like riding the tight and fkat xc stuff but it's inevitable to encounter them. That was my main concern about the Meta: It's maneuverability. I'm also coming from a bike with a much shorter reach.

Will try and see if I can test them.
Thanks!

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 3:04 Quote
hcturner wrote:
Hi everyone

I'm looking to buy a new enduro bike to replace my medium 2016 Capra. I am 178cm/5 ft 10 and 78kg.

I have narrowed it down to:
Propain Tyee 29er with a Lyrik Select plus and Superdeluxe Coil versus The Commencal Meta Essential 2021.

With the bike to work scheme/some wangling I can get the Commencal for roughly 200 Euro cheaper than the Propain.

My riding is balanced between wet, natural and rooty trails and hard pack man made stuff. I do better when it's steep and struggle when it's flat and tight.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks.
I think the tyee is more of a dainty kind of bike that like to pop over stuff and it doesn’t feel that much different to a normal trail bike but just longer travel (my mate has one) but the commencal is more of a bruiser that will just plough through stuff with the longer reach and slacker head angle. If I had a choice as my only bike I would take the tyee.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 4:22 Quote
I agree that the tyee is pretty poppy, it really doesn't feel like that much travel. The antisquat is also pretty nice, I never need to lock the shock

O+
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 8:29 Quote
Okay I hear what you guys are saying. Still a difficult choice. I tend to plough through things (Not always precise with my riding) Hence the fact I almost always struggle in very tight and flat sections. I will try and see If I can test the bikes somewhere with mixed terrain. With Rona though, never know when that will be possible. Cheers agaiN!

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.013166
Mobile Version of Website