Rockshox pike airshaft upgrade

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Rockshox pike airshaft upgrade
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 9:20 Quote
can someone clarify this will work as googling it has driven me mad.

I have some old 2015 A1 solo air 160mm travel pike forks that need a service, I was thinking of treating them to an upgrade by buying and fitting a 2.1 charger air spring. at he same time I was going to fit 1 volume spacer to firm up the end of the travel.

1, will the air spring fit?
2. do I now need RED bottomless tokens?
3. is it actually worth doing?

thank you in advance Big Grin

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 10:00 Quote
I think you mean the new DebonAir air spring. Yes it will fit, less diving when braking & the tokens are the same.
You will probably use a little less psi after the swap. The Charger 2.1 damper assy is a pretty pricey upgrade & I can't comment on that, as I have not tried it.
https://www.worldwidecyclery.com/blogs/worldwide-cyclery-blog/rockshox-lyrik-pike-debonair-air-shaft-for-2021-optimized-ride-height
gazmoose wrote:
can someone clarify this will work as googling it has driven me mad.

I have some old 2015 A1 solo air 160mm travel pike forks that need a service, I was thinking of treating them to an upgrade by buying and fitting a 2.1 charger air spring. at he same time I was going to fit 1 volume spacer to firm up the end of the travel.

1, will the air spring fit?
2. do I now need RED bottomless tokens?
3. is it actually worth doing?

thank you in advance Big Grin

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 10:02 Quote
You'll still use the grey tokens as the air cap remains the same.

Enter your serial here & click on upgrades, should give you the right MPN # for the air shaft. Make sure you are looking at the correct travel length & confirm that is what you are buying. https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/search/

The new air shaft will give you more support, might not need any additional volume spacers, might even need to remove one.

A new charger damper is technically considered an upgrade but you'll want to read reviews as they are mixed on people's experiance. If you already have an RCt3 I wouldn't do the upgrade. Maybe if you have a RC, but I would do each modification seperate as the fresh air shaft might be enough to make you happy. New dampers aint cheap.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 11:54 Quote
yes sorry I was talking about the air spring that goes into the left leg (told you my brain was frazzled) (the one you put pressure into) My fork is an RCT3, so I was going to just change the spring as they are still pretty decent forks.

ive currently no spacers fitted but think I want to fit 1 as I want the shock to ramp up more towards the end of the travel for doing big jumps and drops. but I think just doing 1 modification at a time and riding it is a good idea.

thank you for getting back to me.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 4:19 Quote
I put the forks serial number 43t45926780 into the trail head app and it seems to not give me an option that matches my fork.

I just want to know if its ok to stick a c1 air spring into an a1 fork

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 6:00 Quote
It should have returned something:

https://trailhead.rockshox.com/en/upgrade-kits/43t45926780

Gives me all the parts and is the same range that I have. I bought the DebonAir upgrade from Bark Tart for my 27.5 160mm Pike and it all fitted perfectly.

"RockShox DebonAir Air Spring Upgrade Kit - Pike/Revelation - 2014-2017"

Just make sure you have oil to put it back together. It came with all the seals and washers,
Also a spanner/socket that has been ground down to get rid of the bevels to take the Air Spring out.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 4:44 Quote
yes you were right, i couldn't see for looking. 00.4019.931.007, which is the older B1 air spring. ive done some digging around on google and it suggests that the C1 airspring wont work.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 9:21 Quote
I actually liked the B1 debonair air spring. It did sag a little into the travel but worked really well. Super plush. Went to a C1 in a newer Lyrik and it feels harsher at the bar.

So I would still consider the B1 a huge upgrade over the non debonair air shaft.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 13:48 Quote
eshew wrote:
I actually liked the B1 debonair air spring. It did sag a little into the travel but worked really well. Super plush. Went to a C1 in a newer Lyrik and it feels harsher at the bar.

So I would still consider the B1 a huge upgrade over the non debonair air shaft.

Exactly. The B1 is actually the best version. The C1 was just designed to please the uneducated morons who were crying that they ┬źdo not have all the travel┬╗ on their fork, which is a non-sense, as the 2-3mm of travel the fork is not recovering by itself is simply the consequence of a larger negative chamber (allowing the sensitivity and plushness you mention). Result is, once actually riding the bike, the C1 is a downgrade compared to the B1.
The advantage of the C1 is that it rides overall a bit higher in the travel, as it is not as sensitive.
Get the B1 if you can.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 14:23 Quote
I've had both versions. I like the less dive/higher ride height of the C version, but I run 5-8psi less & add a volume spacer.
That works for me as I get the best of both worlds. Being older I run a very soft setup front & rear for comfort & use full travel on most rides.
I guess you just have to figure out what works for YOU.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005358
Mobile Version of Website