Need Frame Recommendations

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
Need Frame Recommendations
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 14, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
Hi,

I'm looking to build up my first full suspension bike from the frame up. I'm currently riding a Salsa Timberjack Deore 27.5+ on my local trails in Northern Michigan (a bit of everything ranging from XC loops to our lift-service bike park at Boyne Highlands). I would consider myself a very strong rider and can confidently rip all of the trails around me and hit every feature on the trails with some style. Ultimately, I want to find something that can hold up at the bike park as Boyne builds bigger and more committing jumps and features, while still holding up at least somewhat on some of the flatter terrain around me. My riding style, while aggressive, is definitely more playful and I really enjoy a poppy feel since I like to jib my bike around. Because of this and the types of trails I ride, I feel like something 27.5 (ideally) that isn't super slack with a crazy long wheelbase would be bestl. Some of the bikes I've looked into that seem like they would fit what I am looking for are the Yeti SB140 and Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, although the frames for those are a bit out of my price range. The Devinci Troy and Norco Sight 27.5 are less expensive options I've looked at in alloy, what would your thoughts be on those?

Thanks!

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 14:21 Quote
willgoelz wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking to build up my first full suspension bike from the frame up. I'm currently riding a Salsa Timberjack Deore 27.5+ on my local trails in Northern Michigan (a bit of everything ranging from XC loops to our lift-service bike park at Boyne Highlands). I would consider myself a very strong rider and can confidently rip all of the trails around me and hit every feature on the trails with some style. Ultimately, I want to find something that can hold up at the bike park as Boyne builds bigger and more committing jumps and features, while still holding up at least somewhat on some of the flatter terrain around me. My riding style, while aggressive, is definitely more playful and I really enjoy a poppy feel since I like to jib my bike around. Because of this and the types of trails I ride, I feel like something 27.5 (ideally) that isn't super slack with a crazy long wheelbase would be bestl. Some of the bikes I've looked into that seem like they would fit what I am looking for are the Yeti SB140 and Specialized Stumpjumper Evo, although the frames for those are a bit out of my price range. The Devinci Troy and Norco Sight 27.5 are less expensive options I've looked at in alloy, what would your thoughts be on those?

Thanks!

I’m a fan of Devinci.

But also look into Canyon’s Spectral, which is at times offered as a frame only.

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 15:39 Quote
Dr-YTMTB wrote:

I’m a fan of Devinci.

But also look into Canyon’s Spectral, which is at times offered as a frame only.

I’ve looked into the Spectral but didn’t know they offered it as a frame, I’ll keep a look out for it. Thanks!

Posted: May 14, 2021 at 16:11 Quote
Another one worth looking into is a Revel Rail.

Fanatik sells frame only.

Posted: May 16, 2021 at 13:16 Quote
Norco sight looks like a rad bike. Probably what I would have gone with if I hadn't gotten a Santa Cruz Bronson. Tough to tell from the website whether you just get the frame or frame and shock but from the price I'm guessing it's just the frame. Some have said the sight has a lot of pedal bob but if it's speced with the rockshox super deluxe shocks they have a total lack of mid stroke support which could be why it gets those comments. A custom tune from Vorsprung sorted that out for my SC. Hope you're buying for 2022 though.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007590
Mobile Version of Website