Bolt rusted on hope brake bleed port- help!

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Bolt rusted on hope brake bleed port- help!
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 15, 2021 at 4:30 Quote
Hi all. I have hope tech levers and the lower bolt holding the top cap on has rusted for both levers and now I can't bleed the brakes. Any thoughts on how to get these out? Think it's only about a 2mm socket so very tiny. Allen key just spins.

Any ideas appreciated. Off to Google spares to get replacement bolts too..

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 6:13 Quote
This is always a problem and with small heads like this it is very easy to mess up the socket.

Use WD40 and give it a good spray. Warm it with a hair dryer being carful not to over do things. Repeat leaving it to soak between warmings. Brake cleaner can help as well as it is a solvent.
Carefully cut a slot in the top of the bolt making sure you get it as neat as possible and not too deep.
Spray and warm then gently try and turn. Also see if you can crack the corrosions the the slightest of movement in the tighten direction. If you really cannot get it out the problem is that you have a steel bolt corroded into an alloy thread. Trying to drill it out will more than likely bugger it up completely. What may be possible it to put a smaller drill into the centre and then use a thread extractor (basically a LH tap that is tapered) and hope that it comes out. Again if you break that off then you are doubly stuffed as you now have an alloy thread with steel bolt corroded in and a hardened tool in the bolt.

Now the hindsight bit.....
Always clean out the socket before trying to put the key in.
Make sure the key fits well
Don't use a ball end, the do not provide enough contact area
Don't use much force, it is better to err on the side of caution.

Replace steel/chrome plated with stainless (but beware it can be softer than steel but this is not load bearing)
Put a dap of copperslip or possible purple threadlock when assembling to reduce the risk of corrosion. Thread lock needs care with small threads as it is easy to end up doing what you are trying to prevent and seize is up. I prefer copperslip.

Posted: May 15, 2021 at 17:53 Quote
Hope tech levers use torx screws for the reservoir caps.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.004976
Mobile Version of Website