2013 CC DB Air leaking air. Is it blown?

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
2013 CC DB Air leaking air. Is it blown?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 16, 2021 at 18:23 Quote
I have a 2013 ish Cane Creek Double Barrel Air.

Yesterday I cased some jumps fairly hard, and on one particular case I heard a good thunk. Today I kept on bottoming the shock out easily and it felt way more in the travel. Came home, checked sag, at 24mm of 63mm stroke or 38% sag. I keep it at 25 - 30%.

I feel like it is slowly leaking air from the cases yesterday. Is this fixable or is a new shock needed?

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 14:51 Quote
Probably fixable, probably not cheap. Word on the street is that Cane Creek has supply chain issues that make it hard for them to supply parts to outside service vendors, so they severely limit the number of authorized service centers, don't post much of anything in the way of online service manuals, and don't make repair parts available to just anyone who wants them. This makes diagnosing and service mostly a matter of removing the shock and mailing it to Cane Creek, which is what they want.

One thing you can do is spray soapy water all over the shock to see if you can spot bubbles forming at the point where the leak is. Might just be an air can service needed, although I doubt it based on what you've written. Sounds like possibly some broken parts inside and/or air burped into the damper oil by the hard hits.

If it was a Fox or RockShox product I or a bunch of other people might be able to help you at the local level, but in this case your best bet is just to mail it in to CC yourself or buy a more service friendly shock. FWIW, from a mechanic's perspective, I'm a big fan of Fox DPX2. Parts and service for this model are generally widely available and it's a good design.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 16:17 Quote
@Kamiizoo you can use the seals and foam ring that you have in your bag to replace the ones in the air can. They should replace the leaky seal. You can see the air can service on this thread: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/cane-creek-double-barrel-air-air-can-service.942272/.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 16:51 Quote
RunsWithScissors wrote:
Probably fixable, probably not cheap. Word on the street is that Cane Creek has supply chain issues that make it hard for them to supply parts to outside service vendors, so they severely limit the number of authorized service centers, don't post much of anything in the way of online service manuals, and don't make repair parts available to just anyone who wants them. This makes diagnosing and service mostly a matter of removing the shock and mailing it to Cane Creek, which is what they want.

One thing you can do is spray soapy water all over the shock to see if you can spot bubbles forming at the point where the leak is. Might just be an air can service needed, although I doubt it based on what you've written. Sounds like possibly some broken parts inside and/or air burped into the damper oil by the hard hits.

If it was a Fox or RockShox product I or a bunch of other people might be able to help you at the local level, but in this case your best bet is just to mail it in to CC yourself or buy a more service friendly shock. FWIW, from a mechanic's perspective, I'm a big fan of Fox DPX2. Parts and service for this model are generally widely available and it's a good design.
I think I might try to fix this shock. if it doesn't work I'll probably pick up a monarch or dpx2 used. Other people have said it should just be the air can, so I will try to service that and replace some o-rings.

Posted: May 18, 2021 at 16:51 Quote
Frankie2021 wrote:
@Kamiizoo you can use the seals and foam ring that you have in your bag to replace the ones in the air can. They should replace the leaky seal. You can see the air can service on this thread: https://www.mtbr.com/threads/cane-creek-double-barrel-air-air-can-service.942272/.
I'll give it a shot, thanks. I didn't see him use any foam rings in that though, only lots of o-rings.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005184
Mobile Version of Website