DHR2 vs Dissector? 3C vs DC?

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
DHR2 vs Dissector? 3C vs DC?
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 17, 2021 at 12:56 Quote
I’m thinking of trying out a different tire set-up on my trail/all-mountain/enduro bike, which is a current Bronson CC V3 with a top spec build, running Reserve 30 rims.

I’m currently running a 2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front and a 2.3 Aggressor DC EXO. These have (seemed to) serve me well on my local NY/NJ/CT terrain which consists of hard, dust over hard, some loose, bunch of chunky rock mixed in a bit with a decent amount of steep. Typical New England terrain. There are also a handful of bike parks days mixed in there.

My current tires keep the bike feeling lively and mostly just damn fine, but that vague spot in the DHF may be throwing me off...or my cornering technique just sucks. I feel like a different front tire may be much more confidence inspiring. The Aggressor seems to roll damn well, but I feel like I’d appreciate a touch more volume out back, a 2.4 Aggressor would be perfect if they made it. 2.5 Agressor seems like more than I’d like to run back there.

I’m pretty sure I’ve settled on a DHR2 (Max Terra or Max Grip) up front. It’ll save some weight and keep the bike feeling lively.

For the back I’m still stuck between a DHR2 or Dissector.

Will a DHR2 really be noticeably slower out back and draggy while pedaling vs a Dissector?

Should I go with Max Terra or Dual compound rear? Will the Max Terra rear add a ton of rolling resistance?

Could DHR2 3C front and DHR2 DC still roll well, but cover all bases as far as grip?

Wear rate is not an issue as I do not mind tire replacement costs

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 17:10 Quote
If you want a more aggressive front tire go with an Assegai. Rubber compound and tire casing will affect rolling speed much more than a tread pattern change. MaxxGrip and casings like DD or DH is an anchor regardless of tread pattern.

I love both the DHR2 and Dissector they are great tires. I don't really notice a difference between the two. I'm sure some people claim them to be worlds apart, but unless you are pro the difference is negligible. I tend to use a DHR2 for more gravity applications solely for the braking power, but again a Dissector would be more than adequate.

If you don't care about replacement cost of tires I would go with MaxxGrip up front and 3C out back. If you have the stamina, and a padded wallet MaxxGrip on the rear is baller. They fall apart fast though. Two days in the bike park is enough to shred the side knobs on a MaxxGrip tire in the rear.

Posted: May 17, 2021 at 17:57 Quote
cobrakillerta wrote:
I’m thinking of trying out a different tire set-up on my trail/all-mountain/enduro bike, which is a current Bronson CC V3 with a top spec build, running Reserve 30 rims.

I’m currently running a 2.5 DHF Max Terra EXO front and a 2.3 Aggressor DC EXO. These have (seemed to) serve me well on my local NY/NJ/CT terrain which consists of hard, dust over hard, some loose, bunch of chunky rock mixed in a bit with a decent amount of steep. Typical New England terrain. There are also a handful of bike parks days mixed in there.

My current tires keep the bike feeling lively and mostly just damn fine, but that vague spot in the DHF may be throwing me off...or my cornering technique just sucks. I feel like a different front tire may be much more confidence inspiring. The Aggressor seems to roll damn well, but I feel like I’d appreciate a touch more volume out back, a 2.4 Aggressor would be perfect if they made it. 2.5 Agressor seems like more than I’d like to run back there.

I’m pretty sure I’ve settled on a DHR2 (Max Terra or Max Grip) up front. It’ll save some weight and keep the bike feeling lively.

For the back I’m still stuck between a DHR2 or Dissector.

Will a DHR2 really be noticeably slower out back and draggy while pedaling vs a Dissector?

Should I go with Max Terra or Dual compound rear? Will the Max Terra rear add a ton of rolling resistance?

Could DHR2 3C front and DHR2 DC still roll well, but cover all bases as far as grip?

Wear rate is not an issue as I do not mind tire replacement costs

dissector in the rear will give improvement over the aggressor and dhr for rolling, on a big bike you notice the differnce between dissector and dhr quite alot, doesnt brake as good but rolls much more freely.

Front is always a trade off, personally for home im using dhf/dissector, park im using assegai and dhr2.
if im going to park to run flow jumps then i just stick with dhf/dissector.

Posted: May 20, 2021 at 15:26 Quote
That vague spot on the DHF can be cured... by buying an Assegai. Seriously though, the transition from center to side knobs is really seamless and it still has amazing cornering bite. The Exo maxxterra version is not as slow as people suggest, personally I find it's a perfect front for dry, loose or soft(ish) conditions. Proper soft or mud I prefer the Magic Mary. The ultrasoft is a game changer in the wet.

Back to the original question, maxxterra front, dual compound rear is perfect for the conditions you describe. Softer compounds in dry, rocky trails just wear sooner without offering any advantages. If it's steep, I would stick with the DHR rear, it's very dependable and rolls ok in DC. Maxxgrip DHR as a rear is overkill IMHO on anything but the greasiest surfaces.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.005690
Mobile Version of Website