2022 Stumpy Evos are out on spesh website

PB Forum :: Specialized
2022 Stumpy Evos are out on spesh website
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 11:18 Quote
Just checked Spec canadian website and I honestly thought that the Artic blue Evo Comp was 6000$ CAD from the moment it showed it's face on there. Did they just increased their prices again?

O+
Posted: Sep 14, 2021 at 13:54 Quote
jrouellet wrote:
Just checked Spec canadian website and I honestly thought that the Artic blue Evo Comp was 6000$ CAD from the moment it showed it's face on there. Did they just increased their prices again?

You are correct, price increased across all stumpys too.

FL
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 12:46 Quote
Petiloi wrote:
Hey all I put my deposit in for a 2022 evo frame and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a fitment issue with the x2? Im sure the float x is nice but with all the jumping/drops and riding style I have, I can’t imagine it can keep up.

Depends on the frame size I think, I've got a '21 Evo in S3 and it fits fine. Anything bigger than that will be fine but can't speak to the S1/2....

Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 13:07 Quote
daveg75 wrote:
Petiloi wrote:
Hey all I put my deposit in for a 2022 evo frame and was wondering if anyone knows if there is a fitment issue with the x2? Im sure the float x is nice but with all the jumping/drops and riding style I have, I can’t imagine it can keep up.

Depends on the frame size I think, I've got a '21 Evo in S3 and it fits fine. Anything bigger than that will be fine but can't speak to the S1/2....

The S1 EVO uses a 210x50 shock, all the others use the 210x55. The S1 also runs a 150mm travel fork instead of 160mm like S2-S6.

O+
Posted: Sep 15, 2021 at 13:43 Quote
daveg75 wrote:
Petiloi wrote:

Thank you much for letting me know. It’s an S3 so it’ll work out just fine.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
Hoping someone can comment on this, I thought I had read that the EVO could accept a coil shock. I cant confirm on the website or really anywhere else. Anyone have intel on this?

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 13:09 Quote
sempertoy wrote:
Hoping someone can comment on this, I thought I had read that the EVO could accept a coil shock. I cant confirm on the website or really anywhere else. Anyone have intel on this?

Short answer is yes it can, however there are pros and cons to it but worth considering.

SJ EVO's aren't super progressive in their linkage design so users of coil shocks complain of the shock blowing through its travel too quickly or easily. Cascade Components make a linkage to help fix this very problem whilst also giving a small increase in travel.

The other problem that has surfaced recently is the issue of running coil shocks with small shaft diameters (eg. Fox DHX2) and the force loading that the suspension linkage puts on these shafts. The strut mount design found on the SJ acts side loading forces on the shaft, in essence trying to bend it and compress it at the same time and this causes premature wear on the seals and if the forces are large enough, can shear the shaft completely. Fox have actually put out a notice saying that DHX2 shocks are not recommended for use in strut mount bikes. https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

I run a DHX2 on my 2020 SJ EVO Pro. It came as standard equipment when I purchased so they defiantly can run coil shocks. I would agree that they feel like they blow through the travel fairly easily. I couldn't stomach the price of a Cascade link so instead I fitted a progressive spring to the shock. This does help the issue and I am now happy with it.
Haven't yet had any issues with the shaft but I have it booked in for a full service so I am going to get them to look for any signs of issues at that time.

I would recommend running a coil. Yes there are cons but the pros are pretty good too

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 13:42 Quote
As stated, progressive springs and/or the Cascade link are helpful when going coil. I’m running the Cascade with the standard air shock and that alone helped the progressive rate.

Also worth considering a shock with a steel shaft and spherical bearings. Ohlins, Cane Creek and Push all have both available.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 8:34 Quote
mitch1992 wrote:
sempertoy wrote:

Short answer is yes it can, however there are pros and cons to it but worth considering.

SJ EVO's aren't super progressive in their linkage design so users of coil shocks complain of the shock blowing through its travel too quickly or easily. Cascade Components make a linkage to help fix this very problem whilst also giving a small increase in travel.

The other problem that has surfaced recently is the issue of running coil shocks with small shaft diameters (eg. Fox DHX2) and the force loading that the suspension linkage puts on these shafts. The strut mount design found on the SJ acts side loading forces on the shaft, in essence trying to bend it and compress it at the same time and this causes premature wear on the seals and if the forces are large enough, can shear the shaft completely. Fox have actually put out a notice saying that DHX2 shocks are not recommended for use in strut mount bikes. https://www.ridefox.com/fox17/help.php?m=bike&id=1138

I run a DHX2 on my 2020 SJ EVO Pro. It came as standard equipment when I purchased so they defiantly can run coil shocks. I would agree that they feel like they blow through the travel fairly easily. I couldn't stomach the price of a Cascade link so instead I fitted a progressive spring to the shock. This does help the issue and I am now happy with it.
Haven't yet had any issues with the shaft but I have it booked in for a full service so I am going to get them to look for any signs of issues at that time.

I would recommend running a coil. Yes there are cons but the pros are pretty good too

This is great information, thank you for taking the time to respond. I had a 2019 stumpy permberton that came with a coil on it and I eventually upgraded to a push coil and absolutely loved that bike. I opted for the regular stumpy this year, and while I do enjoy it for all my local stuff, I recently took it to Angel Fire and was wishing for more travel, and that coil induced, smooth ride.

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 11:09 Quote
Stumpy Evo Alloys coming out soon
photo
photo

O+
Posted: Oct 4, 2021 at 11:16 Quote
Looks like they have managed to incorporate SWAT into their alloy frames now...

O+
Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 20:53 Quote
Order now and you have a 50/50 chance getting it before 2024!

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 13:57 Quote
I heard the comp alloy bike was gonna be 5099$ CAD and specced with NX?
Hope that's not true or else we are really getting played lol

Posted: Oct 6, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
That alloy with factory suspension is looking awesome! Very cool to see they have incorporated a SWAT box as well on alloy.

O+
Posted: Oct 17, 2021 at 8:17 Quote
I went into my LBS thinking I was going to look at a 2022 stumpjumper S2 $4600 and left with the bike that was right next to it, a (2021) stumpjumper evo, for $4300…. I asked why the difference in price and was told the evo was prob on-site earlier than the non-evo came after the price increase. I’m just surprised the evo was there, it didn’t show up when I searched online, as the search came up with no 2021’s. Right place/right time!

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.018062
Mobile Version of Website