Feedback on touring options

PB Forum :: Road Cycling and Touring
Feedback on touring options
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 18, 2021 at 18:24 Quote
I tried using PB's forum search feature and didn't find much information. My apologies if there is a thread about this that I couldn't sniff out, with that said... I'm looking to do a roughly 6 day bike trip (plus or minus a couple of days) with some buddies in June (~19-26). We've mapped out 3 options and wanted to see if we could get some intel on how safe and enjoyable these three options are. By safe, I mean will we have to worry about getting smoked by a car every two minutes even if we practice safe riding etiquette (high visibility vest, riding in single file line, etc...)? For reference, we've done our homework and have a good understanding of what will be available along each route (camping/hotel/food/bike shops) and have a good plan on what each leg of the trip (for each option) would look like. We're most interested in getting information/feedback on whether any of these routes should be a no-go based on safety. For all three options, our plan would be to travel during the week and avoid the weekend riding.

Option 1: Oregon Coast - we would start in Astoria and end up in Crescent City, CA. Our plan would be to largely follow 101 down the coast.

Option 2: Tahoe to SF - this trip would largely encompass following backroads/surface streets. Given that this itinerary largely follows I-80W, I don't see this being much fun but one of my buddies is convinced it would be ok. In some ways, we think that this could be the safest option but I don't necessarily think that would be the case given the amount of paralleling riding to the highway.

Option 3: Santa Cruz to San Luis Obispo - we would follow the coast and realize that this is a very popular route. Companies like California Bicycle Tour tout this route as being safe given that the certain sections such as the Big Sur section of Highway One being designated as part of the Pacific Coast Bike Route by the state of California. According to their website, "literally thousands of cyclists riding all types of bikes come down this route without incident each year."

So, what do you guys think? Would you highly recommend or discourage any of these three options?

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 12:36 Quote
Without having ridden any of those 3.

I would say #3 sounds the most enjoyable and safest.

Posted: May 19, 2021 at 20:30 Quote
I would definitely agree about it being the most enjoyable given the views on the way down!

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 14:09 Quote
oregon coast is a super popular bike touring route. Its been on my bucket list for decades. There are some good climbs and it can be rainy and windy. The scariest part of the route to me are the tunnels which don't have much room for bikes (they do have buttons/lights you activate to let motorists know there are cyclists in the tunnel).

I've heard the california coast is a great tour. It should be done north to south due to prevailing winds and the fact the best views are on the southbound side of the highway. I road a small portion between Cambria and Cayucos as part of Eroica and it was nice. Don't know if the shoulder along the whole way is that nice. Mike at Locked in did a tour from Sanfrancisco to LA and I think much of it was on the coast highway - check it out.

Nothing to say about the 3rd route.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 15:04 Quote
Thanks all for the feedback. I’ll be doing the Oregon coast starting next Sunday. Super stoked!

Posted: Jun 14, 2021 at 14:39 Quote
hopalong wrote:
Thanks all for the feedback. I’ll be doing the Oregon coast starting next Sunday. Super stoked!

Have a great trip!

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.005545
Mobile Version of Website