Best 27.5" Rims for a Big Guy on a Steel Hardtail (Stan's Flow EX3 vs ?)

PB Forum :: 27.5/650b
Best 27.5" Rims for a Big Guy on a Steel Hardtail (Stan's Flow EX3 vs ?)
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 19, 2021 at 15:36 Quote
So, I've dinged, dented and taco'd more than my fair share of wheels & rims over many years of not really knowing what I'm doing but, still really enjoying doing it!

The issue now is my mid 30's self - at least three of my teenaged selves, and a lot less skilled - is trying to get back into things (and hopefully get down to at least two my teen selves) but, I can't do a full session on the trails without a fresh ding making me resort to an innertube, or worse, having to limp my hardtail (Orange P7) home!

Most recently I've destroyed a pair of DT-Swiss EX 511's, so am temporarily on some Hope enduro rims (of which I have also destroyed too many to trust for long).

(I don't think carbon rims would suit my pocket or my riding - which is clumsy at best - so I'm primarily looking at aluminium rims and don't mind a bit more weight.)

Happy with my hubs (Hope Pro 4's) so looking for strong rim recommendations, based on my Googling Stan's Flow EX3 rims seem like they might be a good pick, though I'd really appreciate your recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 21:45 Quote
I run Stans ZTR rims which have been pretty solid
under aggressive riding but i'm a mid range weight rider. Still I've put these wheels through the ringer for a little over a year and only a bit of a wobble in the rear from a massive otb. I know a lot of the guys riding rampage sponsored by Stans either ride ZTRs or EX3s so might be worth a try.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 19:11 Quote
I just got a set of Race Face ARC30 HD Rims laced to a Hope Pro 4 rear hub and I9 Hydra front hub. It's the same rim as the DH Altas wheelset comes with but in a 32 spoke rather than the 28 spoke rim. It's rated for DH or Ebike use and first thing I noticed was how much stiffer this wheelset was when I got it installed. It's supposed to be pretty good now that they changed the rim design and used stronger aluminum to address the dings in the softer aluminum version pre 2019.

It's a stronger rim than the normal ARC 30 offset rim.a little taller and slightly wider profile, 30mm internal width and 34.5 external.

Posted: Jun 25, 2021 at 20:05 Quote
If you're destroying 511s, then your last resort is FR 560s.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 6:02 Quote
I’m on the larger end of the spectrum as well, and was also tired of dinging up wheels. I built up some 32h stans flow ex3 with alpine 3 spokes, not a super light build but they handled my bike getting blown outta my truck and then ran over(front wheel specifically). Front need to be loosened the trued, rear was out about 1mm so I tried it. The ex3 to me offer the best song protection to weight ratio. If I did these wheels again I would got with lighter spokes.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 6:20 Quote
I would strongly recommend against the Stans EX3, they are still not on par with DT offerings. Here is my experience with an EX3 right after it came out, this was with a cushcore in a rock garden, but not caused by direct rock strike to the rim. Now Stans was nice and warrantied it, but I still don't trust these not welded rims.

Stans EX3 Carnage

I only run FR560's on the rear of my bikes now, and haven't had a problem provided I keep proper pressures and cushcore. I kept my last FR560 an absurd amount of time and actually had two hubs warrantied and the whole wheel relaced twice. It was still running almost perfectly true when I sold the bike!

Also might be worth looking into DH tires. It helps mostly with flats but the tougher casing does do a little to spread the load on the rim when you eventually strike it.

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
setab wrote:
So, I've dinged, dented and taco'd more than my fair share of wheels & rims over many years of not really knowing what I'm doing but, still really enjoying doing it!

The issue now is my mid 30's self - at least three of my teenaged selves, and a lot less skilled - is trying to get back into things (and hopefully get down to at least two my teen selves) but, I can't do a full session on the trails without a fresh ding making me resort to an innertube, or worse, having to limp my hardtail (Orange P7) home!

Most recently I've destroyed a pair of DT-Swiss EX 511's, so am temporarily on some Hope enduro rims (of which I have also destroyed too many to trust for long).

(I don't think carbon rims would suit my pocket or my riding - which is clumsy at best - so I'm primarily looking at aluminium rims and don't mind a bit more weight.)

Happy with my hubs (Hope Pro 4's) so looking for strong rim recommendations, based on my Googling Stan's Flow EX3 rims seem like they might be a good pick, though I'd really appreciate your recommendations!

Thanks in advance!

Spank wheels are also very good, never had a problem with them in years. GMBN also try to wreck them lately - without success regarding normal use :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCaNRt7pXK0

Posted: Jul 22, 2021 at 20:42 Quote
onyxss wrote:
setab wrote:

Thanks in advance!

Spank wheels are also very good, never had a problem with them in years. GMBN also try to wreck them lately - without success regarding normal use :-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCaNRt7pXK0
4 posts up I posted my Race Face ARC 30 HD rims. They are holding up well so far and definitely strong. They track really well in corners too. Really stiff wheelset. No dings in my rims yet and our trails in KC are mostly all rock. Not just a few rock gardens here and there. It’s really rocky.

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.007029
Mobile Version of Website