Scratch? Damaged carbon?

PB Forum :: Santa Cruz
Scratch? Damaged carbon?
  • Previous Page
  • Next Page
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 12:04 Quote
Hi all, I can't tell if my bike's carbon is damaged. I have ride wrap on my new Nomad and haven't fallen once but noticed a scratch after a ride. Can you tell if the carbon is damaged? Sorry you might have to zoom in a bit on the image to see.

photo

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 12:59 Quote
Scratches happen, and carbon frames get scratched just as much as aluminum. Scratches through the ride wrap and/or clearcoat and/or paint are nothing to worry about. You should only get nervous if the scratch cuts through the paint and into the carbon fibres themselves. At that point, it's no longer a scratch, but a chunk out of your bike. Do you see black at the deepest part of the "scratch"?

O+
Posted: May 26, 2021 at 20:41 Quote
Did you do the knocking test? If everything sounds ok, stick some more RideWrap over it and ride.

Posted: May 26, 2021 at 21:03 Quote
very difficult to notice if it's a crack or just a scratch. you can always bring it to your LBS. see what they say, happened on my bike and I really thought it's crack, but LBS tried to scrape of a bit more paint since it's behind the BB anyway, and check if there's any lines or crack but fortunately none. I tried the knocking test myself and had different results. The knocking test totally made me think it's crack lol

Posted: May 27, 2021 at 16:47 Quote
Honestly looks like a surface scratch to me and not even down to the black/carbon that is under the paint, but hard to tell by the photo.

Posted: May 28, 2021 at 3:37 Quote
Just email Santa Cruz warranty with a picture and ask for advice.

• Previous Page
  • Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.009379
Mobile Version of Website