Spokes keep breaking at the nipple

PB Forum :: Mechanics' Lounge
Spokes keep breaking at the nipple
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 28, 2021 at 6:11 Quote
I have been running into a strange issue lately where I started breaking spokes on my wheel every few rides:
- The spokes always break right next to the nipple (but the nipple is fine)
- When each spoke broke, I stopped riding and replaced with a new one (and new nipple)
- Stock 26" wheel on Commencal Absolut (2018 model)
- Rim is true
- I have been attempting a lot of sketchy 180s at the skatepark over the past year, but nothing too crazy lately (no rotation or hard casing).

Is this fatigue or is there something really wrong going on?

Posted: May 28, 2021 at 9:48 Quote
No idea on the cause but I would go for a full rebuild personally, I had a front wheel snap half the spokes at the nipple while hitting a steep switchback, had one of the biggest crashes on my life.

Posted: May 28, 2021 at 17:59 Quote
Typically when spokes start to go, it's either at the nipple or the j bend (if they are j bend spokes and I'm assuming they are?). Chances are if you've broken multiple, it's time for a new wheel or at the very least a new hoop. Often times the wheel may still be true, but the spoke tension will be way off, and those spokes that are over tensioned will break. You can grab two spokes at a time and flex them to check for even spoke tension without a gage. If it feels off, it probably is. Rule of thumb in the industry is once you've popped three, it's time to replace the wheel.

Oh and it's probably fatigue, OEM non branded stuff typically isn't as sturdy as third party or purpose built stuff (especially if you're practicing flat spins)

Posted: May 28, 2021 at 22:31 Quote
I've got Sapim spokes and nipples on E-Thirteen TRS+ 26" rim , about 7 nipples broke in 2 years of riding my DJ bike . It all went good for about 1 y and a half , direct pull spokes from Industry Nine could be for ya .

Posted: May 29, 2021 at 7:10 Quote
Thank you all for the good advice! I just bought a new rim and will have the wheel rebuilt as soon as possible (hoping that I can get the right spokes before 2022)

Posted: May 29, 2021 at 14:12 Quote
rayme wrote:
Thank you all for the good advice! I just bought a new rim and will have the wheel rebuilt as soon as possible (hoping that I can get the right spokes before 2022)

Look for double butted spokes

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006850
Mobile Version of Website