New formula selva C advice needed

PB Forum :: All Mountain, Enduro & Cross-Country
New formula selva C advice needed
Previous Page |
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 9:06 Quote
I just received my new 160 coil fork, going on a Marino frame build that should arrive pretty soon Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin The selva C shipped with a bottle of lubricating oil for the sliders and bottle hydraulic fluide for the cartridge.
Question is does anyone know if this is for maintenance or is it common knowledge that a fork is shipped empty when new and I need to do a fill up before use?

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 8:12 Quote
The oils are for the service. You can do all the services at home just by buying wiper seal tool and selva cartridhe bleed cup. Cts tool and fork cap tools are already included in the package as well as an extra pair of fork decals

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 8:55 Quote
Cool thanks, 1st time I receive extra oil with a new fork that's good business practice but it made me wonder and nothing mentioned about it in the e manual too.
Do you happen to know how much oil is supposed to go in the C cartridge? I supposed what comes out in the cup but that would be a good info to put in a manual too. Rolleyes

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 12:39 Quote
Italian = good products, very bad marketing
US = very good marketing, bad products

It is designed to be cup bleeded so you just fill it in without any measurements the same way you would bleed your shimano brakes. There is a youtube tutorials for every service procedure on formulas channel

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 13:29 Quote
ohhh that's cool I missed the vids from their web page. I can't wait to ride it, I hope that coil fork is every bit as good as I anticipate.
Forza Italia Big Grin

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 15:02 Quote
Remember to try different cts valves. They do make a big difference to the forks behaviour. Theres also 4 different coils for it and a preload adjuster

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 21:47 Quote
yes I was planning on trying the both that came with and eventually purchase others, for spring I'm gona start with the medium that's included hopping I don't need the heavy one. I gained a little weight Redface
I moved across the pond 3 years ago and haven't been biking much the past two years, different priorities and some health issues, but it's time to get back at it and find the local trails.
Do you ride that formula? I love the concept of being able to make so many custom tweak at home as well as changing spring to air spring and such.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 8:53 Quote
Yes, I’ve been riding with formula forks for the last 3 years. Now I have full coil setup from formula. I weight close to 100kg.

Posted: Jun 2, 2021 at 21:25 Quote
Yeah well I'm not far behind at 90kg, I gained 14 in the past 2 years. What coil do you use medium or heavy and what sag does that give you?

Posted: Jun 5, 2021 at 12:47 Quote
The coil does not make so much of a difference to the sag at least on this fork. Medium and firm had very similiar sag but after around 40mm of stroke the difference was massive. It is more aeffecting the midstroke and bottom of the stroke.

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 21:17 Quote
ok so what you're saying is that regardless of spring rate small bumps response is similar, it only makes a difference later in the stroke?
That's interesting I can't wait to mount that fork and fork with it a little Razz

Posted: Jun 6, 2021 at 23:10 Quote
You will notice the firmer sping giving you more feedback on trails due to mid stroke being more supportive even though the sag would be similiar.

A friend of mine also has selva c and he had it with medium spring at first because he thought it would have been good when he checked the sag. After the first run on rocky trail he noticed it ramping too soon. Soft spring solved the issue. This issue is due to coil spring behaving in a different way compared to air spring on most of the forks.

Posted: Jun 8, 2021 at 2:56 Quote
frame has arrived today Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin big grin all day! I'll post good pics and bike build thread soon as well as feed back on the fork here

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 0:23 Quote
Cura wrote:
Yes, I’ve been riding with formula forks for the last 3 years. Now I have full coil setup from formula. I weight close to 100kg.

What coil do you have? I just bought selva C and I'm thinking that most likely the medium spring that comes as default option is too light for me. I'm 102 kg without my riding gear.

And nice Marino! I've owned one hardtail from them and one full suspension bike. Both were nice bikes.

Posted: Jul 26, 2021 at 3:24 Quote
I also recently bought a Selva Coil. This is what formula recommended when I asked them about which coil to use:

65-75 kg : Soft,
75-85 kg : Medium
85-95 kg : firm,
More than 95 kg: Super Firm

My plan is to run the super firm with a relatively light compression tune (gold) at around 100kg with gear.

Previous Page |

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006925
Mobile Version of Website