How do I figure out spring rate on a 2019 yt Capra 27.5 coil shock?

PB Forum :: YT Industries
How do I figure out spring rate on a 2019 yt Capra 27.5 coil shock?
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Message
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 10:20 Quote
I was planning on buying a Cane Creek Kitsuma coil for my 27.5 Capra, however I cannot figure out what spring rate to get, I know the sizings for the shock and hardware (250x70, with 40x8 and 30x8 hardware, correct me if I'm wrong) calculators recommend a 350-400lb spring as a 200lb rider, however people on forums who weigh the same or less are saying they run 450-500lb springs. For roughly 30% sag, how do I figure out what spring rate I should use?

Posted: May 30, 2021 at 18:25 Quote
Send an email to Cane Creek?

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 8:02 Quote
voler-1 wrote:
I was planning on buying a Cane Creek Kitsuma coil for my 27.5 Capra, however I cannot figure out what spring rate to get, I know the sizings for the shock and hardware (250x70, with 40x8 and 30x8 hardware, correct me if I'm wrong) calculators recommend a 350-400lb spring as a 200lb rider, however people on forums who weigh the same or less are saying they run 450-500lb springs. For roughly 30% sag, how do I figure out what spring rate I should use?

2019 jeffsy 27.5 and I am running a 450lb spring. I weigh ~190 in gear.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 14:49 Quote
Slightly higher leverage ratio on the Jeffsy, but I run a 525lbs at 216lbs bodyweight on a 2019 Jeffsy (DHX2 Factory shock) and could probably run a 550. I'd think 450-500 for you.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 0:43 Quote
Once you know a rough idea on spring rate have a look at cane creek progressive spring.
On my 2020 jeffsy I put dvo jade x shock....
At 210lbs I should be around 550lb spring.
I trued one and everything but 4-5'drops was fine, so I tried a 600lb spring, it sorted the hits but lost all sensitivity on small stuff.
Progressive spring is 550-630lbs and answers everything.
Hope this helps

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 0:44 Quote
https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

That's where I got my spring rate

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 1:40 Quote
Otcapra wrote:
https://www.tftuned.com/spring-calculator

That's where I got my spring rate

TF are great. They'll also do you a full calculation for £5 and you get it back if you buy the spring from them. I've also had good results with progressive springs, but my bike has a very different leverage curve to a Capra.

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 11:21 Quote
Otcapra wrote:
Once you know a rough idea on spring rate have a look at cane creek progressive spring.
On my 2020 jeffsy I put dvo jade x shock....
At 210lbs I should be around 550lb spring.
I trued one and everything but 4-5'drops was fine, so I tried a 600lb spring, it sorted the hits but lost all sensitivity on small stuff.
Progressive spring is 550-630lbs and answers everything.
Hope this helps
they don't have progressive spring in the size needed for the 27.5 Capra :'(

Posted: Jun 18, 2021 at 22:55 Quote
[Quote="voler-1"]
Otcapra wrote:
Once you know a rough idea on spring rate have a look at cane creek progressive spring.
On my 2020 jeffsy I put dvo jade x shock....
At 210lbs I should be around 550lb spring.
I trued one and everything but 4-5'drops was fine, so I tried a 600lb spring, it sorted the hits but lost all sensitivity on small stuff.
Progressive spring is 550-630lbs and answers everything.
Hope this helps
they don't have progressive spring in the size needed for the 27.5 Capra :'([/Quote

MRP make a 63+ that should work. You can run an MRP spring on a CC with some 38-36mm spring adaptors.

Previous Page | Next Page

 
Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007682
Mobile Version of Website