Vintage Apollo Custom Sport Tune-up

PB Forum :: Vintage and Fixed Gear Bikes
Vintage Apollo Custom Sport Tune-up
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 13:13 Quote
I have an Apollo Custom Sport that I'd like to spruce up & take out for a rip. I definitely need new tubes & tires, would like to replace the brake pads (rim brakes), tighten up the brakes, and maybe adjust the gearing (they tend to slip, maybe my chain is stretched?). What I'm wondering is where do I start with all this?! I'm obviously new to the backyard mechanic game, but where should I start looking for info on components, how-to's, etc?

Posted: Jun 3, 2021 at 21:35 Quote
ginar wrote:
I have an Apollo Custom Sport that I'd like to spruce up & take out for a rip. I definitely need new tubes & tires, would like to replace the brake pads (rim brakes), tighten up the brakes, and maybe adjust the gearing (they tend to slip, maybe my chain is stretched?). What I'm wondering is where do I start with all this?! I'm obviously new to the backyard mechanic game, but where should I start looking for info on components, how-to's, etc?

So in terms of what I see that need to be replaced are:
1. Tubes and Tires
What size tires are you currently running with?
For tubes, once you figure out the tire size, you can probably cross reference that with the tire size as their are tubes for specific sizings with a range of widths.
2. Rim Brakes
It would be best if you sent a picture of your brakes that way we can double confirm so you don't purchase the wrong replacement rim brake style as there are threaded and threadless brake pads.
As for adjustments for brake pads, depending on the type of rim brake Park Tool on youtube makes some pretty informative videos on how to adjust these (same with adjustments to the derailleur)

Posted: Jul 21, 2021 at 15:09 Quote
ginar wrote:

1. with road brakes I've found that modern holders/pads work fine as the old brakes were bolt on.

2. for the chain take a steel ruler/tape and measure the pin to pin for a full link on the chain. Brand new they measure 1 inch. I can't recall how much wear is ok off the top of my head - probably an 1/8th of an inch. If it measures significantly more than one inch replace chain (and possibly freewheel).

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005328
Mobile Version of Website