close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Tire rub with weight shift

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Tire rub with weight shift
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 23:16 Quote
I have a brand new complete stock free agent salire 2021.
It has a kenda small block 26x2.1 in the back.
When I’m riding straight if I lean the bike to either side but try and keep my body upright, my tire rubs the chain stay.
It does this on both sides, depends on which way I lean.

I was going to put a longer chain on it, but it is maxed out to the end of the drop outs.

Everything is tight including the bearings/axle/chain tensioners.
The spokes are tight and the wheel is true.

I got to the point where I used a grinding wheel to grind down the tires knobbies so they stopped rubbing.

The tire width at the knobbies measured close to 2.3.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Or maybe a new tire?

I’m trying to find a decent narrow tire, so far I have found the classic kenda k-rad 26x1.95 or the cult x vans 26x2.1.

I prefer higher rated psi smooth tires.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
maxxis dth 2.1 is a pretty low volume and skinny tire, i bet it would clear a bit better than an sb8 which has a more squared off profile and taller knobs
dth are also fantastic tires and i prefer them to all the others you listed

you may also want to check what your spoke tension is actually at with a tension meter
even if its all even tension it doesnt mean its properly tensioned high enough
ive had wheels feel and ride great but when i put a tension meter on them they were a fair bit low on tension all around which really surprised me
a half turn on every nipple made the wheel firm up a noticeable amount i didnt realize i was missing before

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 17:57 Quote
forty0 wrote:
maxxis dth 2.1 is a pretty low volume and skinny tire, i bet it would clear a bit better than an sb8 which has a more squared off profile and taller knobs

you may also want to check what your spoke tension is actually at with a tension meter
ive had wheels feel and ride great but when i put a tension meter on them they were a fair bit low on tension all around which really surprised me
a half turn on every nipple made the wheel firm up a noticeable amount i didnt realize i was missing before

I’ll check the spokes, I’ve looked at the dth, but was hesitant since it says 2.15.
Thanks.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 21:30 Quote
forty0 wrote:

I just ordered a pair of dth tires.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
colintsissons wrote:

I just ordered a pair of dth tires.

nice, hope they fit well, the 2.3 dth is skinnier than a 2.25 tabletop, so i think you will be in good shape

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.006029
Mobile Version of Website