Tire rub with weight shift

PB Forum :: Dirt Jumping & Street
Tire rub with weight shift
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 30, 2021 at 23:16 Quote
I have a brand new complete stock free agent salire 2021.
It has a kenda small block 26x2.1 in the back.
When I’m riding straight if I lean the bike to either side but try and keep my body upright, my tire rubs the chain stay.
It does this on both sides, depends on which way I lean.

I was going to put a longer chain on it, but it is maxed out to the end of the drop outs.

Everything is tight including the bearings/axle/chain tensioners.
The spokes are tight and the wheel is true.

I got to the point where I used a grinding wheel to grind down the tires knobbies so they stopped rubbing.

The tire width at the knobbies measured close to 2.3.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Or maybe a new tire?

I’m trying to find a decent narrow tire, so far I have found the classic kenda k-rad 26x1.95 or the cult x vans 26x2.1.

I prefer higher rated psi smooth tires.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 10:25 Quote
maxxis dth 2.1 is a pretty low volume and skinny tire, i bet it would clear a bit better than an sb8 which has a more squared off profile and taller knobs
dth are also fantastic tires and i prefer them to all the others you listed

you may also want to check what your spoke tension is actually at with a tension meter
even if its all even tension it doesnt mean its properly tensioned high enough
ive had wheels feel and ride great but when i put a tension meter on them they were a fair bit low on tension all around which really surprised me
a half turn on every nipple made the wheel firm up a noticeable amount i didnt realize i was missing before

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 17:57 Quote
forty0 wrote:
maxxis dth 2.1 is a pretty low volume and skinny tire, i bet it would clear a bit better than an sb8 which has a more squared off profile and taller knobs

you may also want to check what your spoke tension is actually at with a tension meter
ive had wheels feel and ride great but when i put a tension meter on them they were a fair bit low on tension all around which really surprised me
a half turn on every nipple made the wheel firm up a noticeable amount i didnt realize i was missing before

I’ll check the spokes, I’ve looked at the dth, but was hesitant since it says 2.15.
Thanks.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 21:30 Quote
forty0 wrote:

I just ordered a pair of dth tires.

Posted: Jun 1, 2021 at 11:43 Quote
colintsissons wrote:

I just ordered a pair of dth tires.

nice, hope they fit well, the 2.3 dth is skinnier than a 2.25 tabletop, so i think you will be in good shape

Previous Page | Next Page

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005959
Mobile Version of Website