Öhlins RXF 36 M.2 Harsh small bump

PB Forum :: Bikes, Parts, and Gear
Öhlins RXF 36 M.2 Harsh small bump
Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 2:03 Quote
My new bike came with the ohlins rxf 36M.2 air fork and the small bump damping is incredibly harsh, has anyone else had the same issue? Feels like it will need a custom tune for my weight (75kg).

Cheers

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 3:31 Quote
Jonesyg10 wrote:
My new bike came with the ohlins rxf 36M.2 air fork and the small bump damping is incredibly harsh, has anyone else had the same issue? Feels like it will need a custom tune for my weight (75kg).

Cheers

I had an RXF36 Evo that also felt incredibly frim and found two things:

The Ohlins recommended settings were miles off. A significant reduction in ramp pressure helped, but:

The damping is generally very firm compared to other forks

I also weight 75kg.

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 3:41 Quote
I am running a lot lower pressures than recommended also and have tried lots of variations with no real change. On the big hits they are great however.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 9:47 Quote
My M.2 coil down almost 2 springs for my weight is still harsh on small bumps. I'd say too much compression. However it's a bit faster than my previous fork.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 13:26 Quote
I have a 170 mm RXF 36 M2 on my 2020 pivot firebird. I find the small bump compliance to be better than any other fork I have tried, including my previous fox 36 w/ grip2. As another post mentioned, I was quite a bit off the recommended settings from Ohlins. I set the sag to recommended setting and run the ramp up chamber with quite a bit less pressure then recommended. Then adjusted rebound and compression accordingly. Im ~100 kg with gear.

Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 6:35 Quote
I have a custom Yeti SB165 with 180mm RXF 36 M.2 on it and I'm 185lbs with gear and ride natural trails with LOTS of roots, tight switchback, and a few two-foot drops. I'm an aggressive but conservative rider who likes to go fast and keep the tires on the ground.

I borrowed a shockwhiz from mt LBS and it has me now set with ~70-75 psi in the main chamber (vs 115psi from Ohlins), ramp chamber at ~160psi (vs 195 from Ohlins and even then to get more end dampening, the shockwhiz advises to remove some pressure from the ramp chamber so it enganges earlier in the stroke), LSC fully counter clockwise, HSC fully counter clockwise and rebound 8 clicks from away from fully slow. The shockwhiz says that I could still decreased the damping, but it's already fully open for HSC and LSC. I feel that if I was to ride some larger switchbacks or berms, I'd add a few clicks clockwise of LSC.

At these settings, my hands are not longer cramped by the end of a 1.5km downhill and the fork easily absorbs any brake chunder and roots, and steady when pedaling. It's finally comfortable.
After 6 rides with my new bike, I can see how this fork has been described as "damped". Also think the reviewers are sending it in bike parks with a lot of air time and smoother trails?
If I had more flow trails, I may want to up the main chamber pressure for a slightly better front end tracking.

Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 6:56 Quote
maxx002 wrote:
I have a custom Yeti SB165 with 180mm RXF 36 M.2 on it and I'm 185lbs with gear and ride natural trails with LOTS of roots, tight switchback, and a few two-foot drops. I'm an aggressive but conservative rider who likes to go fast and keep the tires on the ground.

I borrowed a shockwhiz from mt LBS and it has me now set with ~70-75 psi in the main chamber (vs 115psi from Ohlins), ramp chamber at ~160psi (vs 195 from Ohlins and even then to get more end dampening, the shockwhiz advises to remove some pressure from the ramp chamber so it enganges earlier in the stroke), LSC fully counter clockwise, HSC fully counter clockwise and rebound 8 clicks from away from fully slow. The shockwhiz says that I could still decreased the damping, but it's already fully open for HSC and LSC. I feel that if I was to ride some larger switchbacks or berms, I'd add a few clicks clockwise of LSC.

At these settings, my hands are not longer cramped by the end of a 1.5km downhill and the fork easily absorbs any brake chunder and roots, and steady when pedaling. It's finally comfortable.
After 6 rides with my new bike, I can see how this fork has been described as "damped". Also think the reviewers are sending it in bike parks with a lot of air time and smoother trails?
If I had more flow trails, I may want to up the main chamber pressure for a slightly better front end tracking.

I thought a shockwiz would not work on forks with the additional chamber like this, is that no longer the case?

Posted: Oct 5, 2021 at 7:16 Quote
Shockwhiz measures the main chamber pressure. When it advises to "add or remove tokens", I modified the ramp up chamber PSI. It definitely helped to get the fork feeling more like I wanted it to be.

Posted: Oct 14, 2021 at 3:26 Quote
I'm sure things have changed but the ohlins RXF36 that came on my '18 Specialized Enduro felt extremely harsh until I had my local suspension tuner resize the bushings as they were excessivly tight and causing the harshness. After that the fork really came alive. Something worth looking into.

Posted: Oct 31, 2021 at 14:19 Quote
Sounds like a bushing issue for sure. Steping down huge amount of spring rate from what is supposed to be run makes it sounds like to fork is binding up. I have owned four Ohlins forks over the years and the spring rates are not far off.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 12:00 Quote
I'm on an m2 coil which is buttery and eats chunder for breakfast - the faster you go the more it comes alive.

I'm keen to follow this thread tho.

Posted: Nov 1, 2021 at 12:10 Quote
Jonesyg10 wrote:

Cheers

Brand new bike? If so send the fork back under warranty. Used - send it off for a service.

Posted: Jan 18, 2022 at 20:20 Quote
Mine now has a retune , less dampening. And I'm still running a 45lbs spring instead of a 55lb spring. I'm 200 geared up and that's a spring for a 140lb rider. It's noticably better with the retune and it's still harsher with less small bump compliance than my lyrik RC2 when it was having a good day. However I'm significantly faster with the Ohlins .

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2022. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006285
Mobile Version of Website