Etiquette question

Previous Page | Next Page
Posted: May 31, 2021 at 10:13 Quote
Etiquette question
At the top of a trail (in this example, blue flow trail), sometimes there is a queue to drop because if a slower group goes, they'll need a minute or two so that the next group doesn't catch up to them right away.

Sometimes, a rider or group of riders will just ignore the queue and jump right in saying "I'm going to jump ahead if that's ok." Which annoys the people who are queueing.

Is queuing the proper etiquette?
Or is it just a free-for-all?
Does the trail rating (blue/black) make a difference?

Posted: May 31, 2021 at 11:00 Quote
I’ve been on both sides. Just communicate. It’s tough to assess the situation when you roll up to the top of a trail and nobody is moving. They might be having a break or waiting for someone. I’ve made the mistake of waiting before and nobody moves for a long time. I usually ask if I can cut in as does the rider in your example. If you have a good reason to wait such as spacing out from the group in front of you or you were just about to start moving then speak up. Otherwise everyone just sits there awkwardly in silence.

Posted: Jun 10, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
RideThicccBC wrote:
Etiquette question
At the top of a trail (in this example, blue flow trail), sometimes there is a queue to drop because if a slower group goes, they'll need a minute or two so that the next group doesn't catch up to them right away.

Sometimes, a rider or group of riders will just ignore the queue and jump right in saying "I'm going to jump ahead if that's ok." Which annoys the people who are queueing.

Is queuing the proper etiquette?
Or is it just a free-for-all?
Does the trail rating (blue/black) make a difference?

On a blue or green trail: Try to be polite. Keep in mind that if we wait or not, we will all get to the bottom at the same time. If we wait the proper time, we will all get to ride at our pace and have more fun. I don't mind telling people about things they might not know. If a new person shows up that did not see the slow group take off, and tries to cut in, I will let them know. Probably sounds rude sometimes, but better to be rude while sitting at the top, then on the trail.

Black and up: If you ride expert trails, expect to be treated like an expert.

I personally try to not follow a slower group no matter the trail. But, I am old, and don't mind taking a break.

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 5:04 Quote
fortyonethirty2 wrote:
If a new person shows up that did not see the slow group take off, and tries to cut in, I will let them know.

That's damn neighbourly of you, I think I'd be more likely to let them find out for themselves!

Posted: Jun 11, 2021 at 9:25 Quote
I've never seen people queue where I ride most, its a free for all with the easy trails, many of which also have more than one entry point so queues wouldn't always make sense. I try to ride at weird hours to avoid the inevitable crowds as you can't really avoid riding the most popular trails on the way down.

People are usually ok with moving over but I also don't mind taking a break and waiting a bit, or if there's a total cluster just heading back up to harder trails that don't get a lot of riders.

Previous Page | Next Page

Your subscriptions
no posts

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.005567
Mobile Version of Website