Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: May 9, 2022 at 18:59 Quote
ranchero wrote:
Hookem34 wrote:
Had my carbon GX for two months now. I live in Austin, TX and this bike eats up the technical climbs around here. Took it to Spider Mountain over the weekend and conditions were brutal; moon dust everywhere and bomb holes in all the rock gardens from lack of rain since March. The Spire remained composed and planted all day. It’s night and day better for these conditions than my Yeti 5.5.

This is my first Transition and I am a believer in the SBG wizardry! Now if they would hurry up a release a new Scout so I can replace my 5.5

Fellow recovering Yeti rider. Replaced my SB165 with a Spire. Love the 165, but not 27.5 wheels for techy, rocky descents. Super fun at the bike park though (visited Spider in March - nice to have that in your backyard in Winter).

Replaced the SB5.5 with a Spur coming next week. Hope that turns out to be a good decision. The SB5.5 is a great bike.

Where did you find a spur? And do they have an XL?

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 5:53 Quote
Trying to chase down play in the shock turned into a bigger project than I thought last night, basically went to war with the bike. Did a full bolt check and found drive side pivots were not torqueing down, female pivot axles were spinning freely. I also found the source of the play in the lower shock bolt - the flip chip threads are not fully tapped so the bolt never fully tightens. So I spent my night sanding down pivot axles and the flip chip on an essentially brand new bike. I'm happy to know the bike is dialed now but I have a feeling these rattles will come back after a few weeks...

Posted: May 10, 2022 at 10:45 Quote
Bjorn645 wrote:

My medium is at 18.2kg ️

Wow, that’s 0.8 kg lighter than my Kenovo SL with 38 180 front and 180 mm X2 rear (with pedals).
My XL carbon Spire is around 15,3 kg.

O+
Posted: May 10, 2022 at 22:02 Quote
roQer wrote:
Bjorn645 wrote:

My medium is at 18.2kg ️

Wow, that’s 0.8 kg lighter than my Kenovo SL with 38 180 front and 180 mm X2 rear (with pedals).
My XL carbon Spire is around 15,3 kg.

I’m surprised how heavy mine came in at. It’s very sluggish uphill and anything not pointed very downhill. I’m planning to pull the cushcore pro front and rear and just run a rimpact pro in rear. I have plans to go to carbon wheels too. Between those two items I’ll trim 1.5-2lb at wheels where it really counts. I could go to an air shock to save another pound too. Would put me around 36lb which is really where I wanted to be.

O+
Posted: May 14, 2022 at 20:06 Quote
So after a half dozen rides on my new alloy spire I kept feeling like there might have been something loose when I was ploughing through the rough stuff at speed. I was aware of the bolt issue for some people, but I couldn't find play in any of the seatstay or chainstay pivots. When I first got it I had checked the bolts to make sure they were at torque at least but I hadn't broken them free and then retorqued.

Well to echo what a guy said about the bolts being soft, my guess is you had my problem. The bolts we torqued so hard I could barely budge them. The cracking sounds that they made when I finally started to get them free was f*cking ridiculous. It was as if the assembler used an impact gun and just let it ride.

Those bolts are supposed to be 12nm and 10nm, they must have been at least 50nm. My main pivot was way overtorqued too. Hot a drop of loctite either. Now the left side bearings are already prematurely worn, the worst of them is the main pivot left bearing it feels like a bearing that I've ridden for 2 years.

Guaranteed the added preload was inhibiting suspension movement. Just a psa if peeps are feeling weird things, definitely go check and be really careful on the 5mm side.

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 6:21 Quote
Anyone have any info on a reach adust headset for sale in the US?

O+
Posted: May 15, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
Scottwhatever802 wrote:
Anyone have any info on a reach adust headset for sale in the US?

Two reach adjust headsets are available for the Spire. One for dual crown forks with a straight 1 1/8" steer tube, and one for single crown tapered ST forks that uses an external bottom cup. This also slackens the HTA by half a degree and increases stack by about 12mm.

Assuming you don't want the one for DH forks, here's the tapered one: https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/reach-adjust-zs56-ec56---to-suit-tapered-steerer---5mm---order-now-for-16th-may-dispatch-2251-p.asp

O+
Posted: May 15, 2022 at 10:46 Quote
jaywindh wrote:
So after a half dozen rides on my new alloy spire I kept feeling like there might have been something loose when I was ploughing through the rough stuff at speed. I was aware of the bolt issue for some people, but I couldn't find play in any of the seatstay or chainstay pivots. When I first got it I had checked the bolts to make sure they were at torque at least but I hadn't broken them free and then retorqued.

Well to echo what a guy said about the bolts being soft, my guess is you had my problem. The bolts we torqued so hard I could barely budge them. The cracking sounds that they made when I finally started to get them free was f*cking ridiculous. It was as if the assembler used an impact gun and just let it ride.

Those bolts are supposed to be 12nm and 10nm, they must have been at least 50nm. My main pivot was way overtorqued too. Hot a drop of loctite either. Now the left side bearings are already prematurely worn, the worst of them is the main pivot left bearing it feels like a bearing that I've ridden for 2 years.

Guaranteed the added preload was inhibiting suspension movement. Just a psa if peeps are feeling weird things, definitely go check and be really careful on the 5mm side.

Everything on mine was so god damn tight, not dub crank tight, but still stupid. I damaged the trunnion bolts trying to take my shock off to Ridewrap it and transition sent me new ones. I feel like I’ll need new chainstay bolts next time I need to take them off after nearly stripping them when I had to shave them down because they were too long… awesome bike but there’s been a couple of minor issues

Posted: May 15, 2022 at 12:13 Quote
Instead of sanding down the pivot bolts there's the opportunity to shim them till they fit. This solution opens up the possibility to fit some rubber o rings in there to seal the pivots.

Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Anybody had any issues with premature wear on the upper headset bearing, with the 0.7 gap allowing water ingress. Just putting together the bike from frame up and noticed the gap when fitting the headset. This also looks like the way FSA designed it to work

Went cane Creek for a quality headset. no issues here so far in the super dusty conditions we get.

Which Cane Creek did you go for?

Found mine on Commencals website, its the one for the Supreme.
https://www.commencalusa.com/cane-creek-40-series-headset-zs56-zs56-for-supreme-dh-c2x32578514

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 7:56 Quote
FWIW I took the step-down ring (silver ring that fits inside the upper bearing) and sanded the top of it down to take about 1mm of material off, and now the top cap is very nearly flush with the cup. I realize this still isn't as good as having a seal but it does reduce the possibility of significant material ingress. I'll run this thing until the bearings are shot then I'll replace with either a Cane Creek or an Acros.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:16 Quote
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Jn28 wrote:

Went cane Creek for a quality headset. no issues here so far in the super dusty conditions we get.

https://www.commencalusa.com/cane-creek-40-series-headset-zs56-zs56-for-supreme-dh-c2x32578514

Is that for a straight steerer downhill fork or does it work with a tapered one like a 38? Not much clear info on commencal site

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Is that for a straight steerer downhill fork or does it work with a tapered one like a 38? Not much clear info on commencal site

You can tell it's for tapered because there's no step-down on the bottom bearing.

O+
Posted: May 18, 2022 at 8:37 Quote
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:
Jn28 wrote:

Good call. Thanks, I just bought one as well.

Posted: May 20, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Jn28 wrote:
Mjwilson82 wrote:

its for a straight steer tube. However CC does this neat thing where the lower cup is a standard 56mm and the use a different crown race than the tapered steer tube. so that becomes the adapter, you just need to use a crown race for a tapered fork from CC.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.022985
Mobile Version of Website