Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 7:47 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:
mastashake wrote:
My Spire alloy large frame arrived.

It is 10 pounds 6 ounces naked with a shock only, no rear axle no headset

Thank you for the weight, seems to be the frame should be bomp proof tup

Did you chose the raw or orange one?

Orange. I have always wanted an orange Transition and missed out on the Smugglers.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 12:20 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Seated climbing with the steep STA/short top tube is definitely a consideration for people downsizing. Could always put a 50mm stem and put the saddle as far back in rails as possible, although it will impact steering.

FWIW my local shop has no Spires but I threw my leg over a Marin with the same ETT as a medium Spire and it felt A-OK.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 18:08 Quote
I’ve gathered all the parts for my park/shuttle build. Running it with a dual crown, coil, single speed, rigid seat post, and Cushcore; this one only goes down. I Did some pre-build stuff today - cut some film to wrap the frame, swapped to a 190 mm air shaft in the fork, and finished up my wheels. Now I get to start on the actual bike build (should be easy, no internal routing, dropper, or shifting to set up).

Regarding the sizing discussion: I’m 5’11” and this is a large Spire. I also ride a large V2 Hightower and large Spur. Not sure how the bike fits yet, but based on how my other bikes fit, the large seems to be the ticket for me and my intended use for the bike. I pedaled around on a buddy’s XL Spire and it didn’t feel crazy big. If I were 5’10” I may feel the medium Spire is too small, but everyone has their preferences…

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 19:56 Quote
Had the chance to ride an alloy gx build at MJ's cyclery in SD today and confirmed that a large will suit me best. The seated position feels just like my large V2 hightower and the extra wheelbase is a benefit to me. Thanks for the input everyone, seems like it really comes down to your intended use when it comes to sizing on the spire.

Posted: Sep 18, 2021 at 20:34 Quote
lylerides wrote:
seems like it really comes down to your intended use when it comes to sizing on the spire.

And your riding area, I presume. Lots of tight switchbacks around here, and this is going to be my only bike (at least for the next season or two, haha)

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 11:51 Quote
crj5 wrote:
I’ve gathered all the parts for my park/shuttle build. Running it with a dual crown, coil, single speed, rigid seat post, and Cushcore; this one only goes down. I Did some pre-build stuff today - cut some film to wrap the frame, swapped to a 190 mm air shaft in the fork, and finished up my wheels. Now I get to start on the actual bike build (should be easy, no internal routing, dropper, or shifting to set up).

Regarding the sizing discussion: I’m 5’11” and this is a large Spire. I also ride a large V2 Hightower and large Spur. Not sure how the bike fits yet, but based on how my other bikes fit, the large seems to be the ticket for me and my intended use for the bike. I pedaled around on a buddy’s XL Spire and it didn’t feel crazy big. If I were 5’10” I may feel the medium Spire is too small, but everyone has their preferences…

Looking to throw a dual crown on my spire as well. Mine is running gears and a dropper though. I gotta get up to get down most the time.

I’m debating between the fox and ohlins, are you planning on running the shorter offset crowns? What’s the turning radius look like?

Stoked on that build

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 20:15 Quote
Parsurf wrote:

I’m debating between the fox and ohlins, are you planning on running the shorter offset crowns? What’s the turning radius look like?

Stoked on that build

I'm going to run the stock 52 mm offset crowns for now, no plans to change crowns unless some glaring issue arises. Shorter offset crowns would limit the steering more, I would think. I did put the fork on today but the build is not finished, so it is hard to speak to the turning radius at this point. Turning the bars in the work stand, it obviously seems limited compared to single crown. I also have some beefy ODI fork bumpers on there that limit it a bit, I may swap the stock ones in if it is a problem...

And thanks, I'm stoked as well!

Posted: Sep 19, 2021 at 23:33 Quote
crj5 wrote:

Sick spec! Looking forward to pics of the build and hearing how it rides.

Posted: Sep 20, 2021 at 20:25 Quote
crj5 wrote:
this one only goes down

Is that why there's no cassette? lol

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 7:33 Quote
I built up my Spire and took it for a test spin yesterday. Total weight, including pedals, is 32.36 lbs. I was aiming for below 33, so I'm stoked.

Hopefully I'll get to ride it on some real dirt today.

Build:
Frame: Large carbon
Fork: Fox 38 Factory
Stem: Anvl Swage
Handlebars: One Up carbon
Brakes: XTR 4 piston
Shifter/Derailleur: XTR
Chain: SRAM X01
Cassette: Ethirteen Helix 9-50
Chainring: Wolftooth 30T
Guide: Oneup bash/guide
Cranks/BB: Praxis Girder HD
Wheels: We Are One Agent w/ I9 Hydra hub, CX-rays
Dropper: Bikeyoke Revive 185, Wolftooth lever
Seat: Anvl Ti
Pedals: Oneup Aluminum
Rotors: XT 6 bolt, 203/180

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 7:35 Quote
jslatts wrote:
I built up my Spire and took it for a test spin yesterday. Total weight, including pedals, is 32.36 lbs. I was aiming for below 33, so I'm stoked.

Hopefully I'll get to ride it on some real dirt today.

Nice- list the specs?

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 7:43 Quote
ehfour wrote:

Nice- list the specs?

I should have done that. I updated the original post with the specs.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 8:27 Quote
gramboh wrote:
Sick spec! Looking forward to pics of the build and hearing how it rides.

Thanks! I'm hoping to finish it this weekend, will update with pics.

skiahh wrote:
Is that why there's no cassette? lol

Yes.

crj5 wrote:
... single speed ...

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 9:12 Quote
Just ordered a M alloy frameset for the girlfriend. Much excite Big Grin

Let's be honest I'm probably going to ride it around and experience the hype.

Posted: Sep 21, 2021 at 14:42 Quote
jslatts wrote:
ehfour wrote:

Nice- list the specs?

I should have done that. I updated the original post with the specs.

Perfect build! Congrats

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.008627
Mobile Version of Website