Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Aug 8, 2022 at 22:10 Quote
I'm soon going to post a review video of the new transition spire on my youtube channel MTB Everything

Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 0:38 Quote
jazzawil wrote:
Got a stfu for my spire, pretty impressed so far! It's not winning a beauty pageant but I can't see it when I'm on it sonwho cares. My bike has been getting the Whistler its dry do what you want questionable lines treatment after a long wet spring so stoked to really get a feel for the bike now the higher alpine trails are opening up in time for crankworx. Couldn't be happier with it.
photo
photo

Does this STFU make a difference? I want to stop some slap on my patrol figured this would be the ticket. Chains about the only thing making a noise on it now

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
jazzawil wrote:
Got a stfu for my spire, pretty impressed so far! It's not winning a beauty pageant but I can't see it when I'm on it sonwho cares. My bike has been getting the Whistler its dry do what you want questionable lines treatment after a long wet spring so stoked to really get a feel for the bike now the higher alpine trails are opening up in time for crankworx. Couldn't be happier with it.
photo
photo

Does this STFU make a difference? I want to stop some slap on my patrol figured this would be the ticket. Chains about the only thing making a noise on it now

I was skeptical and picked one up as well. Makes a huge difference. Bike is mega quiet now. Love it.

O+
Posted: Aug 9, 2022 at 10:05 Quote
hukriede wrote:

I was skeptical and picked one up as well. Makes a huge difference. Bike is mega quiet now. Love it.

Exactly my review as well, yet to ride my dh bike which was my main reason for buying one but if it's near as good as the spire I'll be happy

O+
Posted: Aug 16, 2022 at 20:16 Quote
Anyone have some experience to share with mulleting the spire? Would it be worth doing an angle adjust headset to keep angles around stock?

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 8:21 Quote
I'm thinking about just straight up putting a 27.5 wheel on the rear while leaving it on the high position. This setting will only be for lift access park duty.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 8:28 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
Anyone have some experience to share with mulleting the spire? Would it be worth doing an angle adjust headset to keep angles around stock?

Should have bought a patrol?....

I wouldn't. Takes the bike into a realm of not what it was intended to be ridden as.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
nubbs wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:

I wouldn't. Takes the bike into a realm of not what it was intended to be ridden as.

I second this. Not sure why people buy bikes only to change them to something different that already exists.

Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:17 Quote
Been running mine in mullet mode all summer and I love it, works great for my short legs and I get the extra travel and wheelbase of the spire. BB is low. I've gone down to a 30t chain ring and a smaller bashguard and not hitting very often at all anymore. Bike is SLACK but for where I live it works great. If you are somewhere flatter i'd probably do the works angle adjust headset. I was considering it but right now I don't feel the need for it.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:28 Quote
hukriede wrote:
nubbs wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:

I second this. Not sure why people buy bikes only to change them to something different that already exists.

More curiosity I suppose. Transition explicitly states that mulleting the spire is something accounted for in the design. Would also allow me to have the reach I desire, with a longer chainstay. Which a medium patrol would not allow for.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 10:29 Quote
amarmurthi wrote:
Been running mine in mullet mode all summer and I love it, works great for my short legs and I get the extra travel and wheelbase of the spire. BB is low. I've gone down to a 30t chain ring and a smaller bashguard and not hitting very often at all anymore. Bike is SLACK but for where I live it works great. If you are somewhere flatter i'd probably do the works angle adjust headset. I was considering it but right now I don't feel the need for it.

I'm in the west koots, so definitely plenty of fall line.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 12:30 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
hukriede wrote:
nubbs wrote:

More curiosity I suppose. Transition explicitly states that mulleting the spire is something accounted for in the design. Would also allow me to have the reach I desire, with a longer chainstay. Which a medium patrol would not allow for.
I've heard a few folks say that Transition designed the spire to allow a mullet setup, but I can't find anything official on their site that says that. Any chance you could link to where they say it can be mulleted? This interests me too. Didn't get the patrol because when I bought the Spire it was alloy only, and more importantly, maxes out at 170mm travel front and rear, and I wanted 180mm. Also my LBS only had the Spire carbon so all that was moot anyways.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 13:30 Quote
I have mine as mullet since february.. bike park works fantastic.. better with angleset +1 in high position and 165 cranks… i have ran full 29er in stock mode and I need low position.. dont like it in high.. but that works for me.. rode south france, fiinale and the alps now.. works even better with mullet and angleset on high position….. and cascade link… cheers

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 13:45 Quote
samsq wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
hukriede wrote:

I've heard a few folks say that Transition designed the spire to allow a mullet setup, but I can't find anything official on their site that says that. Any chance you could link to where they say it can be mulleted? This interests me too. Didn't get the patrol because when I bought the Spire it was alloy only, and more importantly, maxes out at 170mm travel front and rear, and I wanted 180mm. Also my LBS only had the Spire carbon so all that was moot anyways.

Lars stated it in their big patrol/spire release interviews last year. I think it's on the transition YouTube channel.

O+
Posted: Aug 17, 2022 at 19:41 Quote
jazzawil wrote:
hukriede wrote:

Exactly my review as well, yet to ride my dh bike which was my main reason for buying one but if it's near as good as the spire I'll be happy

I got the Cascade full chain guard to quiet things down after seeing how much the chain hits the ground in huck to flat vids, and it works great. I just can't get over the awkward look of the STFU

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015978
Mobile Version of Website