Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 15:21 Quote
You will hear about every issue but not every bike running smoothly. That being said, as a trend transition seems to be growing really fast and more stuff falls through the cracks then many would like.

O+
Posted: Sep 17, 2022 at 23:55 Quote
mlambert223 wrote:
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
I am cusing myself here... my alloy spire has been flawless.

Same here...

Mine has worked perfect as well

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 3:50 Quote
Minor cosmetic issues with cable housings. Got a new mainframe and chainstays.
No pivot or cable rattling so far.
Great bike.

O+
Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 10:18 Quote
Other than having to add abit of grease to the bolts & headset, which is what I’ve seen from other manufacturers too, my carbon spires been awesome.

Posted: Sep 18, 2022 at 12:46 Quote
I love my carbon Spire. Over 500 miles in all weathers and it's been great

I did have pivot bolt issues, Transition sent new ones quickly no issues, and a squelchy X2 shock that was fixed in 3 days.

Not ideal but fast support, quick turnaround and the bike rocks.

O+
Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 8:39 Quote
mike29 wrote:
Waldchiller wrote:
Rock Guardz still does not have a Spire Protector. If someone of you is living in the UK you can get a free Guard they just need a spire to make the mold.

I’ve got a large carbon and currently in the process of getting mine to him as he’s only a couple of hours away

Did this work out? Just checked the RockGuatdz page, but so far no Spire guard to be found.

Posted: Sep 19, 2022 at 10:51 Quote
nd54 wrote:
cmini7117 wrote:
nd54 wrote:
That was my first thought but I have checked and torqued the top and bottom shock bolts and did the same for the main pivot at the bottom of the seat tube and it still has a tiny bit of vertical play. It's hard to tell if the play is coming from the shock mounting or shock itself or maybe it's coming from the main pivot. Just not sure but I know for sure it's one of these locations.

Have you sanded down your flip chip yet?

I have done all the suggestions in this thread regarding the flip chip, seat and chain stay pivots. Only one chain stay had to be sanded down as it was a little to long not allowing the pivot to tighten correctly. As for the flip chip I took it off and cleaned the threads so the lower shock bolt could actually tighten all the way.

Just slightly annoying with the small vertical play but you don't notice it will riding and there is no clicking noise when pedaling. Only notice it when picking up the bike to put in the stand or taking it off the stand and putting on the ground.

For any moto guys it feels like when you take your dirt bike off the stand and put it on the ground you feel that little bit play from the static sag in the shock

Hey I had this similar vertical play. I am running EXT storia. Turns out the trunnion mount was "unwinding" from the shock body. noticed oil seeping out of the shock. Not sure what shock you're on but keep an eye out for that. Apparently not uncommon. EXT fixed it under warranty.

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 5:37 Quote
amarmurthi wrote:
nd54 wrote:
cmini7117 wrote:

Have you sanded down your flip chip yet?

I have done all the suggestions in this thread regarding the flip chip, seat and chain stay pivots. Only one chain stay had to be sanded down as it was a little to long not allowing the pivot to tighten correctly. As for the flip chip I took it off and cleaned the threads so the lower shock bolt could actually tighten all the way.

Just slightly annoying with the small vertical play but you don't notice it will riding and there is no clicking noise when pedaling. Only notice it when picking up the bike to put in the stand or taking it off the stand and putting on the ground.

For any moto guys it feels like when you take your dirt bike off the stand and put it on the ground you feel that little bit play from the static sag in the shock

Hey I had this similar vertical play. I am running EXT storia. Turns out the trunnion mount was "unwinding" from the shock body. noticed oil seeping out of the shock. Not sure what shock you're on but keep an eye out for that. Apparently not uncommon. EXT fixed it under warranty.

As cmini7117 stated it was my flip chip causing the vertical play on my rockshox super deluxe ultimate air. Going to to take a little material off the back side of the chip

O+
Posted: Sep 20, 2022 at 9:02 Quote
Yeah, buried in the thread is the fact that the lower shock bolt has too long of a shank (the unthreaded portion of the bolt) to properly tighten to the flip chip when the assembly is it holding together is sandwiched together. The bolt feels tight, but that is just the unthreaded (shank) portion of the bolt coming up on the nub on the inboard side of the flip chip prematurely. The 2 fixes are, 1) slightly shorter bolt or 2) plane the flip chip down until the inboard nub is gone.

Zero problems with my XL carbon spire other than that. (GX build) I purchased my bike 06/2022, so no idea whether the bikes being delivered now have incorporated a fix.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
My Replacement CR Front TR has arrived. The distributor wants the old cracked one back. Is that normal?

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 7:40 Quote
Waldchiller wrote:
My Replacement CR Front TR has arrived. The distributor wants the old cracked one back. Is that normal?
Yes

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 7:42 Quote
Waldchiller wrote:
Might depend on what country you are in. Not entirely sure.

When TR sent me a new front triangle they did not say to send them the old one. I use it as a noise maker now for heckling.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 8:20 Quote
Waldchiller wrote:

probably depends on the thoroughness of the person your dealing with, but yes its pretty normal, that or they like to see a picture of it visibly destroyed (ie. cut in half, or a chunk of top tube), so you don't go and sell it to some unsuspecting soul.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 8:27 Quote
Waldchiller wrote:

In case of crash replacement you pay for new frame, so old frame belongs to you. If they change it on warranty (free of charge) than they in most cases want the frame back or to be cut at specific location (so couldn't be used anymore or for new warranty case).

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 10:40 Quote
I'm not following part of this. If the bolt is shanking out and not clamping the joint, why not just put a washer under the head? I'm assuming it's not off by a lot and there would still be adequate thread engagement.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.015287
Mobile Version of Website