Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 11:08 Quote
ghill28 wrote:
I'm not following part of this. If the bolt is shanking out and not clamping the joint, why not just put a washer under the head? I'm assuming it's not off by a lot and there would still be adequate thread engagement.
Thats a decent idea. Honestly after I started hearing the lower shock bolt on my bike making a creak I just whipped that bad mamajama flip chip out and took a file to it really quick because I had beed following the spire thread since before I got mine. The hex bolt would need a pretty low profile washer since it sits in a recess, but that isn't hard to find at any hardware store. Maybe there is more to it than that though and the flip chip nub is actually doing more than just making the bolt shank out. I don't really understand the point of the nub on the flip chip in general, so if someone has any reason as to why the nub couldn't be completely removed please chime in.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 15:27 Quote
I have a very subtle knock, like something loose, or dull chain slap, only when rattling through rocks. Could that be the shock bolt?

Reading above I thought of a washer then realised it's recessed into the chip.

I'll strip it and investigate the nub. What is it bottoming out on? Is it just the one opposite the head that needs work?

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 17:30 Quote
diggery wrote:
I have a very subtle knock, like something loose, or dull chain slap, only when rattling through rocks. Could that be the shock bolt?

I'll strip it and investigate the nub. What is it bottoming out on? Is it just the one opposite the head that needs work?

With a spire it can be a bunch of things.

It is a pretty loud bike. The carbon one that is.

Check chainstay pivot for play and also check seatstays/rocket pivot for play.
Grind shock bolt nut tab.

I would start there.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 17:47 Quote
diggery wrote:

Correct, the "nut" part. My shock bolt sound was more of a hinge that needed lubrication sound. Really annoying screech squeak sound.
Pull the bolt and the nut half of the flip chip out and install the bolt into the chip off of the bike, you will see what needs to be removed.

O+
Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 20:52 Quote
diggery wrote:

What type of brakes do you have. I had a knock and tried everything suggested in this thread. Turned out to be the XT Pads, even the non finned ones knocked and it was transmitted through the frame. I have Codes now and the noise is gone.

Posted: Sep 21, 2022 at 23:05 Quote
Carbon XT

It's far quieter than my old carbon Patrol which uses to bang!

Thanks guys, I'll try the bolt and the brakes. I've done the pivot bolt mod already.

I've been off for 10 weeks with injury, first decent ride last night and desperate for more!

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 2:31 Quote
Guys,
Is there anyone, who is 6’3’’ (1.90m) on a XXL spire ?
I really need to hear some comments on the fit and sizing for the biggest spire.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 3:46 Quote
188 cm here and would not go any larger. On an XL. I think XXL is fine for 194 and above. Depends also on arms legs and torso lenghts.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 6:15 Quote
iyan wrote:
Guys,
I really need to hear some comments on the fit and sizing for the biggest spire.

I am 187cm and on an XL (I know close but not quite) I wanted it longer and more stable for steep areas. I would have gotten a large if it was my only bike.

Personally I would say you could go either way based on the performance you want. You are probably right between sizes like I was.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 7:27 Quote
iyan wrote:
Guys,

I am that height. Long arms.

had the time to ride the XXL spire at a bike shop. It fits me pretty well at that height. However the bike itself is very, very long. The bike was pretty dead feeling to turn at slower speeds, not very maneuverable.

It was too much length and I bought and XL. Glad I bought XL in the end with a 50mm stem.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 8:15 Quote
iyan wrote:
Guys,

189cm, on a XXL. If you’re at a point where you’re considering it, do it. It’s obviously big, but very manageable. I don’t have problems in the corners. Only place I have issues is smashing pedals and being scared of high centering. It may take some getting used to, I’m still working on moving my neutral position farther forward, but overall I love it.

If you have a short torso, I’d consider at least riding one to make sure you can get your seated position dialed.

I didn't get the chance to ride before I bought, but I can imagine the XL being quite different due to the FC/RC. As others have mentioned you could probably do either, and dial in the fit with a shorter/longer stem and/or different bars. I went with 35mm rise bars and I’m considering a 35mm stem, just to fine tune my hand position

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 14:11 Quote
iyan wrote:
Guys,

I'm 188cm tall and riding an XL with with 180 ZEB and Cascade link, and it's hilariously long. I rented an XL V10 29r at Whistler last week and it had a noticeably shorter wheelbase than the Spire. Go XL. I am looking at getting a DH rig for next year and it's pretty funny that most of the XL sizes are shorter than the XL Spire. Oh and in case your wondering the Spire is a helluva bike, love it.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 15:23 Quote
TOOTRIKK wrote:
iyan wrote:
Guys,

I'm 188cm tall and riding an XL with with 180 ZEB and Cascade link, and it's hilariously long. I rented an XL V10 29r at Whistler last week and it had a noticeably shorter wheelbase than the Spire. Go XL. I am looking at getting a DH rig for next year and it's pretty funny that most of the XL sizes are shorter than the XL Spire. Oh and in case your wondering the Spire is a helluva bike, love it.

I'm just over 6 foot with long arms/torso and ride an XL as a downhill bike replacement. I like bigger bikes for downhill. 35mm stem and it fits great for gravity oriented stuff. Works pretty well for trails also, just takes more work and I have a different bike for that anyways. 6'3" I would think the XL would work well for trails and bike park.

O+
Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 15:54 Quote
iyan wrote:
Guys,

I’m 6’3 on a carbon GX build in XL and it fits like a glove. I personally would not want to be on an XXL.

Posted: Sep 22, 2022 at 15:58 Quote
XL is good for 6ft-6ft4. XXL 6ft5+.

I'm somewhere between 6ft and 6ft1 and I wouldn't want to be on a size L (ride an XL) unless the climbs were super short and the trails were just jumpy trails with hero dirt everywhere. Buddies who are about 6ft4 thought the XXL was just a beast and a bit too much. 6ft6-6ft7 guys in our group loved it though.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.015919
Mobile Version of Website