Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 4:02 Quote
JankoGerlach wrote:
Is there anyone running their Spire (with non-tweaked geo) in the Low setting regularly?
I freshly built mine now, but I'm injured so I can't actually ride it on trail for the next two weeks at least. The low setting feels stupidly slack in the front when pottering around on a parking lot Smile

My carbon spire came set up in the low setting. I rode it for a few months in this setting and the only time I really noticed an issue was in slow tight corners. The front end felt floppy and really had to muscle the bike thru these types of corners. In the high setting it is easier to do these types of tight turns but make no mistake it's still not super agile in these types of turns. If you are riding a lot steep stuff with no super tight turns the low setting is fine. I didn't notice any more pedal strikes in the low setting.

Hope this info helps.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 5:33 Quote
I also run the low setting exclusively. The spire replaced my DH bike for steep and fast trails in the desert SW. I still take the bike in long rides with lots of climbing. It does better than one would think. I will say that tight switchbacks are harder in Low. However, if you can commit fully and press into and through the turn its not bad. I don't have problems getting the bike through tight turns. There is no way to escape the wheelbase and headangle. I still find the bike to be manageable.

This bike shines at high speed, low speed will be tolerable but slow handling.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 6:45 Quote
spinzillathespacelizard wrote:
any one running a EXT with the CC link?

Yes 207lbs with a 525# Spring. Would like to try a 550 as the 525 feels a little on the soft side but haven’t gotten around to ordering. I initially started off with the 525 that I ran on my Sentinel but it was definitely too soft.

Posted: Oct 20, 2022 at 9:41 Quote
Not running a CC link but im 475/500 on my EXT 90kg kitted up.

Posted: Oct 21, 2022 at 4:36 Quote
Cheers boys. I'll start in the High position Smile

Posted: Oct 21, 2022 at 12:56 Quote
Mine stays in the low setting now for everything after trying it once as a quick experiment. The cornering is super sharp with it like that, but it will suck on uphill switchbacks. However, it already sucked on uphill switchbacks in the high mode. Shocking, huh?

Posted: Oct 23, 2022 at 20:26 Quote
Anyone fit a bike yoke 213mm dropper in a large spire?

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 1:07 Quote
norcalbike wrote:

If it’s got a similar insertion depth to a one up 210mm it won’t slam to the collar. Should leave about 30mm showing. I can measure if you want and update later if that helps

Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 1:37 Quote
Hello , a friend is riding a spire for a year : after killing two zeb ( harsh feeling and loose guiding ) , he turned to a fox38 expecting more reliability….but after some few weeks , problem is stil the same and the fork lost sensibilty ang guiding ring are dead…
It look like the angleset is a killer ! due to the slack angle that would overload the guiding in the fork…
Does anyone has the same issue, how do you solved it ? Reducing fork stroke ( present 170 ) ?
Thx for your help

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 2:45 Quote
be-late wrote:
Hello , a friend is riding a spire for a year : after killing two zeb ( harsh feeling and loose guiding ) , he turned to a fox38 expecting more reliability….but after some few weeks , problem is stil the same and the fork lost sensibilty ang guiding ring are dead…
It look like the angleset is a killer ! due to the slack angle that would overload the guiding in the fork…
Does anyone has the same issue, how do you solved it ? Reducing fork stroke ( present 170 ) ?
Thx for your help

What fonyou mean the angleset is a killer? The head angle ? Or is there an angleset installed?

For the record I hace +1 angleset and 170mm onyx, mullet on high position, 63deg, 63.5 ish full 29er

Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 3:05 Quote
Lagr1980 wrote:
be-late wrote:
Thx for your help

What fonyou mean the angleset is a killer? The head angle ? Or is there an angleset installed?

For the record I hace +1 angleset and 170mm onyx, mullet on high position, 63deg, 63.5 ish full 29er
I mean head angle , he.s on full 29

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 3:54 Quote
be-late wrote:
Lagr1980 wrote:
be-late wrote:
Thx for your help

I mean head angle , he.s on full 29

for sure a heavy guy with a crappy manufactured/qaqc'ed fork will bring up issues on a 62ish HTA bike.. but in ok conditions, it would not.. I have used a (now obsolete ; ) ) fox 36 at 180mm on this bike and it survived ok (granted it was not new and did nto have any issues from the factory).

Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 6:10 Quote
norcalbike wrote:

My large came with a oneup 180 and I was hoping to fit a bikeyoke 213 but the max insertion of the frame and the amount of post exposed at pedal height (for me) the 213 was to long due to the insert length. Looks like the oneup 210 shimmed to 200 is the best fitment for my collar to seat rail measurement, the bike yoke has a larger insertion length than the oneup (327 vs 296).

Best bet is to do the math for your saddle height.

Posted: Oct 24, 2022 at 8:34 Quote
210 One Up shimmed to 190mm.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2022 at 7:13 Quote
my large came with a one up210 and I have it slammed to accommodate my short legs. it works, but it has been sensitive to any small adjustments to the alignment, if I had a bail and got it out of whack it would sometimes be difficult to use the dropper function without screwing around with it. probably just a bit tight quarters down in the seat post area when its slammed and not allowing the actuator to move properly. when I have run it a bit more out, say even 10mm it is a lot more reliable and doesn't seem to have issues when it gets twisted in a crash. I will say the dropper routing is one of my biggest peeves with this bike, for all the boasting about external routing I don't understand why they didn't just make our lives more simple with that as as well.,

fortunately, I do have a 150 that I'm debating just throwing on this bike and, as it feels a bit short on my m/l Chromag. and now that the great fall conditions have come to an end, I can debate all the maintenance I've been neglecting.

Copyright © 2000 - 2023. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.015006
Mobile Version of Website