Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Author Message
Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 14:04 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:
Thanks for sharing, do you run the Spire at 170/170 or with 160mm in the back?

I'm struggling between the sentinel v2 or the spire coming from a 2018 smuggler, witch is really capable for it's small travel and can handle enduro riding and jump trails really well.

But im locking for something now with a bit more travel for rowdier terrain, the v2 Sentinel seems to be more playful then the Spire, according to the reviews.

I am running 170/170. My goal with this bike was to get something less punishing on the really steep and burly trails. It's definitely overkill for Galbraith (Sentinel v1 was great there) but should be great when things get really rowdy. I never did find the goldilocks zone for suspension on the v1. I had to run it pretty dang stiff to avoid bottoming out on bigger drops and jumps.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 20:57 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:
jslatts wrote:
mtb-michl wrote:
Nice built tup , could you compare the sentinel and the spire.

I'm really interessted in how the spire rides uphill against the sentinel und how it performances on less rowdy terrain or flowy trails.

I also came from a v1 sentinel, aluminum. My early impression is that the Spire is more comfortable climbing (not sure if it is faster or not) and has more traction. I thought the sentinel was a great climber fwiw. It was a ton of fun on the flowy jump trails, certainly not giving up anything noticeable to the sentinel. Maybe just slightly less poppy, but I don't have my suspension dialed in yet on the new bike.

It does feel bigger in the air, harder to whip around, but I think that is mostly going from a medium sentinel frame to a large spire.

Thanks for sharing, do you run the Spire at 170/170 or with 160mm in the back?

I'm struggling between the sentinel v2 or the spire coming from a 2018 smuggler, witch is really capable for it's small travel and can handle enduro riding and jump trails really well.

But im locking for something now with a bit more travel for rowdier terrain, the v2 Sentinel seems to be more playful then the Spire, according to the reviews.

I've got an '18 Smuggler, too, and ordered a Spire. I've got a few rides on the V2 Sentinel and it just never felt quite right to me. Now, it was a buddy's bike, so maybe I just didn't have a good chance to dial it in to my ideal settings, but when I did a short parking lot and quick gravel climb on a L Spire, it felt natural from the first pedal stroke.

I'm also keeping the Smuggler, so a Sentinel didn't make sense as a second bike. If I were selling the Smuggler, I'd spend more time on a Sentinel to dial it in and make sure it was just that, because it's probably a better option if you're just going to have one bike.

Posted: Sep 22, 2021 at 23:59 Quote
skiahh wrote:
mtb-michl wrote:
jslatts wrote:


I also came from a v1 sentinel, aluminum. My early impression is that the Spire is more comfortable climbing (not sure if it is faster or not) and has more traction. I thought the sentinel was a great climber fwiw. It was a ton of fun on the flowy jump trails, certainly not giving up anything noticeable to the sentinel. Maybe just slightly less poppy, but I don't have my suspension dialed in yet on the new bike.

It does feel bigger in the air, harder to whip around, but I think that is mostly going from a medium sentinel frame to a large spire.

Thanks for sharing, do you run the Spire at 170/170 or with 160mm in the back?

I'm struggling between the sentinel v2 or the spire coming from a 2018 smuggler, witch is really capable for it's small travel and can handle enduro riding and jump trails really well.

But im locking for something now with a bit more travel for rowdier terrain, the v2 Sentinel seems to be more playful then the Spire, according to the reviews.

I've got an '18 Smuggler, too, and ordered a Spire. I've got a few rides on the V2 Sentinel and it just never felt quite right to me. Now, it was a buddy's bike, so maybe I just didn't have a good chance to dial it in to my ideal settings, but when I did a short parking lot and quick gravel climb on a L Spire, it felt natural from the first pedal stroke.

I'm also keeping the Smuggler, so a Sentinel didn't make sense as a second bike. If I were selling the Smuggler, I'd spend more time on a Sentinel to dial it in and make sure it was just that, because it's probably a better option if you're just going to have one bike.

I'm also owning two bikes, but my second one is a SC Chameleon Hardtail witch is build up as an agressive Trail Hardtail for singletrack and winterriding.

My Smuggler build is really towards Enduro, with 150mm Ribbon Coil Up and upstroked CC DB IL with approx 132mm travel.

I think I would give the Sentinel a go, cause the Spire should be an overkill for my local spots. Will build it up with the Ribbon Coil up front and a coil shock in the back.

Also it's possible to increase the stroke to 65 with should give the bike 156mm of travel in the back.

Thank's for all your support.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 8:09 Quote
I have had a smuggler and a v1 sentinel full coil with a 11-6 and the cascade link. Both are killer bikes for there intended purpose.

The smuggler is an all day trail bike, big miles and lots of vert. It handles the chunky descents just fine but that is not where it shines. 50-50 climb/descend.

The v1 sentinel in my form was sure a blast. Handled the descents better and was border line a mini-dh. 30-70 climb/descend

The Spire is a basically a dh bike with the kinematics that allows you to pedal it up. Realistically I feel like it handles the climbs as well as the smuggler handles the descents. It works but not it’s purpose. If you consistently think to yourself “man I wish I could ride a dh on this trail” because you have to climb for it the spire is the bike. If you get rowdy but never wonder if you need to get rowdier than the sentinel is killer. 20-100 climb/descend.

I have ridden the v2 sentinel as well, not coiled just standard gx build. Way lighter than my sentinel, rides real similar down. If I rode flow trails and did more big backcountry that would be my pick 100%.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 11:30 Quote
mtb-michl wrote:

Nice built tup , could you compare the sentinel and the spire.

I'm really interessted in how the spire rides uphill against the sentinel und how it performances on less rowdy terrain or flowy trails.

Coming from a Sentinel it feels very familiar right of the bat (probably helps that i did frame only). The climbing position for me feels way more balanced than it did on the sentinel. I always felt a bit too far back on that bike. I climbed without the climb switch and the suspension moves way less than my v1. It does not feel like you are on a bike with that much travel at all. Today, I only rode an easy 3mi climb with about 1500 vertical but not one really technical spot so the jury is still out. But first impression is i could ride long days no problem on this bike.

When you point downhill that is really when you feel the difference.. I rode some double black enduro stuff followed by a jump line. There was not one point where I would take the sentinel over it. So much grip and confidence on the enduro stuff and really fun on the jumps and berms.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 21:42 Quote
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 22:07 Quote
rich-2000 wrote:
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

"Correct seat angle" Correct it how? Changing the rear travel to 160mm doesn't change the static geometry.

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 23:30 Quote
f*ckingsteve wrote:
rich-2000 wrote:
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

"Correct seat angle" Correct it how? Changing the rear travel to 160mm doesn't change the static geometry.

No but dropping the fork 10mm will. If putting it in high mode raises rear axle 6-8mm and dropping fork lowers front 10mm, then mulleting only lowers the rear 2-4mm, which should be negligible.

Only dropping rear shock to 160mm to match 160mm front, however if you want to pick hairs, it will change weighted geometry because you’re sagging 30% of 60mm stroke rather than 30% of 65mm, so the bike sits higher in its travel and has a slight steeper seat angle... ;-)

Posted: Sep 23, 2021 at 23:34 Quote
rich-2000 wrote:
f*ckingsteve wrote:
rich-2000 wrote:
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

"Correct seat angle" Correct it how? Changing the rear travel to 160mm doesn't change the static geometry.

No but dropping the fork 10mm will. If putting it in high mode raises rear axle 6-8mm and dropping fork lowers front 10mm, then mulleting only lowers the rear 2-4mm, which should be negligible.

(Only dropping rear shock to 160mm to match 160mm front)

Sorry mate, missed your whole first sentence, haha. I did consider mulleting the Spire as well but from lots of the discussions I've seen the BB ends up pretty low as you say and I'm a hack, so I need all the help not to strike on every other pedal stroke I can get. I was faster on 29 than on the Scout I'm on now, so I'm eager to get back on a full 29er.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 7:59 Quote
I built up my medium alloy Spire with a factory 38, Code rsc, x01 shifter, XT cassette, XT rotors, one-up dropper, wheels with XT hubs and Stans flow Mk4 rims, Michelin wild enduro tires and xc cushcore. Total weight is 37.5 pounds. I've taken it on two rides and it climbs about as well as my alloy patrol did, but feels like it builds and carries so much more speed and generates more grip. Can't wait to do some Enduro races on it.

I am 5 10 and went from a large patrol to a medium spire and it was definitely the right move. The bike feels much more balanced.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:37 Quote
rich-2000 wrote:
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

So far all my rides have been on a mulleted Spire because I blew up the hub on my 29" rear wheel right after I built up the bike.

It feels great going down (corners like a beast), but I'm getting a crapload of pedal strikes even with 165mm cranks. I plan to switch back to full 29 as soon as I get my wheel rebuilt. I will go measure the BB height later today.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 8:42 Quote
Are you running in the high position, I was planning on giving the Mullet a go but maybe not now.?

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 9:04 Quote
nerds-on-dirt-mtb wrote:
Are you running in the high position, I was planning on giving the Mullet a go but maybe not now.?

Yes, still on high.

Posted: Sep 24, 2021 at 9:18 Quote
It's time for canfield cranks. I've ordered the 150mm mostly for experimentation's sake hahaha. Will indicate soon whether it's a horrible mistake.


 
Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.006477
Mobile Version of Website