Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Oct 25, 2022 at 7:24 Quote
Well, managed to get a oneup 210 slammed instead of the 180 they sent it with. So far, works great

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 8:10 Quote
Anyone try the cascade link on their spire? I have been reading some people find it pedals a bit worse after having it installed. Would adding some low speed compression get rid of this issue?
Found out my bike came with a 180mm zeb as it was a custom build.

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 8:19 Quote
Kamperk87 wrote:
Anyone try the cascade link on their spire? I have been reading some people find it pedals a bit worse after having it installed. Would adding some low speed compression get rid of this issue?

Yup I am linked up. More pedal bob (slightly) and firmer end stroke for sure. I find the pedal bob to not be too bad using the firm switch on the shock pretty often. With the stock link installed I do not use the firm switch nearly as often.

Yes adding some LSC does help but there's a fine line with too much LSC causing harshness on square edge hits but having a good pedal platform.

This is all with the stock x2 air shock 180mm rear travel. 230-250psi when riding the link.
6'3" ~185lb semi-aggressive rider. with 170mm fork. Don't have the need for 180mm fork travel where I live.

Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 8:40 Quote
Transition are aware of the insert depth issue I believe they are fixing this in future batches

Current scout/sentinel carbon and all alloy bikes don’t have this problem (I can slam a 240mm one up in my large carbon sentinel)

Our routing comes up through the bb which makes it a pain to fit a cable, but gives max insertion …. They’ve changed it on carbon spire and new patrol to make it easier but in the process the cable comes out much further up above the bb losing all that extra insert, all the for the sake of easier routing… I know the bb is a pain in mine to fit, but I’d prefer that than not being able to fit a long dropper post it’s always been one of the main attractions in the frames for me thinking of tall riders who want get maximum drop

O+
Posted: Nov 18, 2022 at 16:57 Quote
Kamperk87 wrote:
I have one. Full disclosure, I installed mine pretty soon after getting a spire, so I only have limited experience on the stock link. Yes, it pedals worse with the cascade link, but it really is only a bit worse. It's not a huge difference. For me it's worth it, I like how supple yet supportive the suspension is with the link.

I also have a 180mm zeb and I think that's what I'd run even if I didn't have a cascade link. The spire is so light and pedals so well that the extra travel doesn't bother me while climbing or traversing, but when I do need the travel, it's there.

O+
Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 7:53 Quote
Didzy2009 wrote:
Transition are aware of the insert depth issue I believe they are fixing this in future batches

Current scout/sentinel carbon and all alloy bikes don’t have this problem (I can slam a 240mm one up in my large carbon sentinel)

Our routing comes up through the bb which makes it a pain to fit a cable, but gives max insertion …. They’ve changed it on carbon spire and new patrol to make it easier but in the process the cable comes out much further up above the bb losing all that extra insert, all the for the sake of easier routing… I know the bb is a pain in mine to fit, but I’d prefer that than not being able to fit a long dropper post it’s always been one of the main attractions in the frames for me thinking of tall riders who want get maximum drop

One of my only pet hates with this bike is this. Large frame looks like it should be able to handle a 210mm maybe even 240mm no bother but you hit the internal routing fairly quickly. It comes up way to high and doesn’t need to be that high with a better design. Just my thoughts. I’d consider getting a redesigned frame for more post slam if they did this.

Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 8:07 Quote
Totally agree - I look at seat tube length on geo charts as part of my shortlist.

I have a large with a 180 dropped and have 50mm post showing. I could get a 210, shimmed to 200, with 30mm of post showing, but then I can't ever drop it lower.

It's not just about 'running drop', but also max drop. Sometimes I slam my 180, say for an uplift day. 200 would give me 20 more day to day, but 30 less when I want to slam it!

30-40mm more insertion would be great!

Posted: Nov 21, 2022 at 10:50 Quote
I would seriously reach out to them see what they say guys, I know it’s a known issue and if I’d have taken a punt on one and not be able to run a long dropper it would have been going straight back

They are aware of this though they have said to a few folk I know of that they are redesigning it going forward to accept longer posts

They had the right idea trying to make the cable installation easier than on a sentinel/scout carbon, but got it totally wrong in reality by losing so so much insertion to the point where a lot of folk will be put off buying a frame cos of it

Seems like the end user has been the test dummy for bad design at a big expense!

Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 7:33 Quote
Anyone go from a 2022 Patrol to a Spire yet?

Interested to know your thoughts

Considering doing this, I've never quite gelled with the Patrol. Feels like a small bike to me and slightly fidgety. Fun, but I prefer a truck of a bike I think

O+
Posted: Nov 26, 2022 at 8:49 Quote
Mike172 wrote:
Anyone go from a 2022 Patrol to a Spire yet?

Interested to know your thoughts

Considering doing this, I've never quite gelled with the Patrol. Feels like a small bike to me and slightly fidgety. Fun, but I prefer a truck of a bike I think

i’m actually considering going the opposite direction i want a bit smaller more fidgety bike ya the spire can truck terrain

Posted: Nov 28, 2022 at 7:33 Quote
mike29 wrote:
Much easier to communicate with on Instagram rather than email.

All sorted, will drop the bike off with them when I’m next in the area with work.

But that mould will only be a for a large carbon frame

Just curious if this ever happened? I checked their website but didnt see anything for the Spire yet.

Posted: Nov 30, 2022 at 0:55 Quote
twistdspokes wrote:
mike29 wrote:
Much easier to communicate with on Instagram rather than email.

All sorted, will drop the bike off with them when I’m next in the area with work.

But that mould will only be a for a large carbon frame

Just curious if this ever happened? I checked their website but didnt see anything for the Spire yet.

A few days ago they told me they haven't had a spire to mold yet.

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 8:14 Quote
Has anyone bought any accessories, tools, etc for the the upper waterbottle mounts?

O+
Posted: Dec 2, 2022 at 8:26 Quote
Kamperk87 wrote:
Has anyone bought any accessories, tools, etc for the the upper waterbottle mounts?

Yeah. I have the rolltop wolftooth bag and the strap for that zone. Can carry a ton of stuff in the .6L bag thing but it aint pretty.

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.011664
Mobile Version of Website