Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Dec 7, 2022 at 12:44 Quote
diggery wrote:
Here's my setup...

Large Carbon Spire with my own OneUp pump holder. Elite Prism bottle cage and CamelBak Podium bottle.

I've got a CO2 cartridge in the pump, along with a tyre boot (old toolpaste tube!) rolled up with a valve core and some bacon strips in it.

I also modified a OneUp threadless steerer holder to fit the 38s and have the EDC in there, with a custom made jabber. The threadless steerer only takes the small storage capsule - the OneUp jabber comes with the pliers but this only fits in the large capsule, which won't fit my bike! I didn't want to pay for all of it and not use the pliers so I cut the thread of a CO2 cannister and epoxied a jabber tool into the thread then screwed that into the EDC under the small capsule.

It looks a lot on the frame but my total setup including tools weights less than a completely empty backpack!

Nice hack with the OneUp EDC small capsule to fit the jabber, that is the one thing I still need to address with my setup. I have a large Patrol (same front triangle as alloy Spire I believe). my setup:

- Specialized Zee bottle cage with 650ml water bottle
- Topeak Race Rocket MT mini pump, mounted to Zee cage
- OneUp EDC threaded steer tube mount (with tool and empty mini capsule)
- Wolftooth B-Rad base plate on top tool mount with Pirelli Smartube (same as Tubolito), co2 + inflator head, small plastic bag with jabber + bacon strips and extra tire lever strapped via OneUp ski strap (the Wolftooth velcro strap was too bulky)

I had to switch to the Zee cage when I changed my shock from the Float X2 to a 2023 Super Deluxe Coil as the reservoir was hitting my water bottle on my old cage. The Zee has the bottle farther forward than most cages.

I need to find a small bag (maybe a pencil case) to house the stuff on the Wolftooth plate because it's messy having it just sitting there exposed to the elements, but it works. I carry nothing on me except car FOB, phone and energy gels if needed. Only time I carry a fanny or backpack is for extra water on >3 hour rides. So nice riding without a pack!

O+
Posted: Jan 9, 2023 at 0:10 Quote
Picked up an Alloy XT build last week, noticed what sounded like air in the dampener circuits, was confirmed by distributor so off the shock goes.

I thought the X2 issues were overblown, guess I was wrong.

Recon it’s worth trying to persist with it once it’s back from service? Kinda eyeing up an Ext, most important thing is reliability and there is stuff all available in New Zealand (otherwise I would consider one of this new RS coils).

Transition Spire

Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 12:13 Quote
oriphinz wrote:
Picked up an Alloy XT build last week, noticed what sounded like air in the dampener circuits, was confirmed by distributor so off the shock goes.

Recon it’s worth trying to persist with it once it’s back from service? Kinda eyeing up an Ext, most important thing is reliability and there is stuff all available in New Zealand (otherwise I would consider one of this new RS coils).

Transition Spire

I love my ext dude

O+
Posted: Jan 10, 2023 at 12:36 Quote
oriphinz wrote:

Transition Spire

If you send the x2 out for Fox service make sure they update the trunnion eyelet, update the body, and new shaft.

Once these new update parts are installed the shock should be fine as far as I know.

O+
Posted: Jan 11, 2023 at 16:44 Quote
nubbs wrote:
oriphinz wrote:

If you send the x2 out for Fox service make sure they update the trunnion eyelet, update the body, and new shaft.
Once these new update parts are installed the shock should be fine as far as I know.

Awesome thanks!!

Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 2:12 Quote
oriphinz wrote:

Transition Spire

I had the same issue with the X2 (rode it for months struggling with setup turns out it was cavitating like they all do) - UK Fox distributor rebuilt and returned FOC very quickly and transformed the bike, when the back end works properly this bike is insane no matter the shock - also running a 180 fork and will eventually get the cascade link.

Posted: Jan 12, 2023 at 4:32 Quote
Bjorn645 wrote:
I had the same issue with the X2 (rode it for months struggling with setup turns out it was cavitating like they all do) - UK Fox distributor rebuilt and returned FOC very quickly and transformed the bike, when the back end works properly this bike is insane no matter the shock

Same here! Bike felt a bit flat and unsupportive, lacked pop. Sent it back for warranty and received a refreshed shock, bike feels mint and has been great since.

O+
Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 1:11 Quote
Ah great, sounds like it will be way better after the rebuild, I’m looking forward to getting it back, looks like it will be a quick turn around, shipped overnight to the service center, they completed the rebuild that day, replaced all seals and also replaced the piston and seal head and possibly some other things, will check when it gets back to me with your list nubbs.

That said I also ordered a Storia it’s also built up and on its way so it’s a race to see what shock comes in first. Always wanted to try a coil especially one with the dampening adjusted for my weight (loaded I’m 110kg).

The owner of the Ext dealer said they have seen quite a lot of shock issues (Fox / RS / Ext) with Transition Spires, he gave some instructions to check frame alignment so will do that as well once I have a shock in hand.

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 7:53 Quote
Did someone check the Steering angle of their Spire?Mine is still 63.5 after installing a +1.5 angleset. Checked everything on the bike. Everything seems to be aligned. 170mm Zeb in front. Full 29er. Flipchip in high position.

Posted: Jan 13, 2023 at 8:22 Quote
My e-stories has been flawless on the Spire since day 1

Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 17:47 Quote
Anyone got any recommendations for aftermarket seat clamps for the carbon? Struggling to see much out there in 37mm...

Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 17:52 Quote
chazmann wrote:
Anyone got any recommendations for aftermarket seat clamps for the carbon? Struggling to see much out there in 37mm...

I use the bike yoke seat clamp. Haven’t had any issues with it

Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 18:22 Quote
Put the hope on my car carbon scout. Size was close in number, the fit was fine

Posted: Jan 14, 2023 at 18:24 Quote
Better bolts ti kit for spires only 2 bolts? Not even the lower shock bolt? Anyone have this “kit”?

O+
Posted: Jan 16, 2023 at 11:32 Quote
thrashin wrote:
Better bolts ti kit for spires only 2 bolts? Not even the lower shock bolt? Anyone have this “kit”?

My friend got it for me, it's just the two top bolts

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.016272
Mobile Version of Website