Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 7:22 Quote
jslatts wrote:
rich-2000 wrote:
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

So far all my rides have been on a mulleted Spire because I blew up the hub on my 29" rear wheel right after I built up the bike.

It feels great going down (corners like a beast), but I'm getting a crapload of pedal strikes even with 165mm cranks. I plan to switch back to full 29 as soon as I get my wheel rebuilt. I will go measure the BB height later today.

Thanks. If you could measure bb that would be great. I’ve got a spire frame reserved until Monday but will have to say yes/no Monday otherwise they will release it to everyone else.

Bb height would be great, especially as I was thinking of lowering fork to 160 too!

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 8:39 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
I am 5 10 and went from a large patrol to a medium spire and it was definitely the right move. The bike feels much more balanced.

Can I ask what your arm wingspan is? I’m 5 10 but I have a 6 foot wingspan and am trying to figure this out for myself.

Eric

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 13:02 Quote
Storia clearance on a large Spire in low position, just for reference if anyone is wondering. It bareelly clears, hard to see in the photos, but I’d estimate 2-3mm from the cutout in the down tube. I’m going to run in high for now, but figured I would check on low first.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 13:46 Quote
crj5 wrote:
Storia clearance on a large Spire in low position, just for reference if anyone is wondering. It bareelly clears, hard to see in the photos, but I’d estimate 2-3mm from the cutout in the down tube. I’m going to run in high for now, but figured I would check on low first.

Yikes! Never owned a transition without an ext!!!

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 14:20 Quote
crj5 wrote:

Bit of a left field question, but what colour are the red/orangey details on the frame and fork in real life?! Can’t tell if they’re deep red or bright orange from different photos!

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 21:13 Quote
EKrum wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
I am 5 10 and went from a large patrol to a medium spire and it was definitely the right move. The bike feels much more balanced.

Can I ask what your arm wingspan is? I’m 5 10 but I have a 6 foot wingspan and am trying to figure this out for myself.

Eric

I am normal proportions, and would say if you are 5-10 you should probably ride medium. Large will not be as fast around corners and it's such a stable bike you don't need the extra length. You definitely want a 210 post though.

Posted: Sep 25, 2021 at 21:39 Quote
chazmann wrote:
Bit of a left field question, but what colour are the red/orangey details on the frame and fork in real life?! Can’t tell if they’re deep red or bright orange from different photos!

I’d say fluorescent red; orange-ish but not quite as bright as Fox orange. Its close to my fork but not a perfect match.

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 13:18 Quote
crj5 wrote:
chazmann wrote:

I’d say fluorescent red; orange-ish but not quite as bright as Fox orange. Its close to my fork but not a perfect match.

Nice one, cheers

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 14:05 Quote
jslatts wrote:
rich-2000 wrote:
Anyone spent any time getting a mullet set up well?

Was getting a patrol, but build was going to be arouns 37lb and so I am thinking of getting a spire, running it in high, 160mm rear end option, and maybe even a 160mm fork to correct seat angle and head angle a bit.

BB will be low, but that doesn’t bother me, I can quite happily ride a 325mm bb with 170mm cranks

So far all my rides have been on a mulleted Spire because I blew up the hub on my 29" rear wheel right after I built up the bike.

It feels great going down (corners like a beast), but I'm getting a crapload of pedal strikes even with 165mm cranks. I plan to switch back to full 29 as soon as I get my wheel rebuilt. I will go measure the BB height later today.

Hi buddy, did you manage to measure the bb? Would be really handy to have the measurement today as I need to decide on the spire - pay the balance or get a refund. Cheers!

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 18:01 Quote
Finally finished building mine! Planning to get some park laps in next weekend.

I didn't think about weight at all while selecting parts, but it is surprisingly light to me at 35.2 lbs. Maybe the DC fork, coil shock, cushcore, etc. are mitigated by the lack of cassette and dropper...

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 18:52 Quote
Rad bike. Mine is going to be almost the same…right now it’s at 34.75lbs with dd and cc and a fr560 rear. Add about a pound with the fox 40 when I throw it on and .5 if I go coil on the back…36.25 ish…not to bad for a dh I can get to the top of hills…STILL lighter than a Norco range…hahaha

Posted: Sep 26, 2021 at 19:40 Quote
I’ve had my Spire for almost a month now - and I absolutely love this bike. It’s a monster on the descents, confidence inspiring and a blast to ride.

Posted: Sep 28, 2021 at 21:19 Quote

Got the Fox 40 on mine now, hopefully give it a ride tomorrow to get the fork set-up before an enduro this weekend. 36lbs as it sits.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 0:57 Quote
crj5 wrote:
Finally finished building mine! Planning to get some park laps in next weekend.

I didn't think about weight at all while selecting parts, but it is surprisingly light to me at 35.2 lbs. Maybe the DC fork, coil shock, cushcore, etc. are mitigated by the lack of cassette and dropper...

Absolute beast. Can't wait to hear how it rides.

Posted: Sep 29, 2021 at 5:00 Quote
Parsurf wrote:

Got the Fox 40 on mine now, hopefully give it a ride tomorrow to get the fork set-up before an enduro this weekend. 36lbs as it sits.

Awesome! What are the rest of the build specs? That thing looks ready to smash.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.014710
Mobile Version of Website