Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: May 14, 2023 at 23:31 Quote
Bloodytesla wrote:

Perhaps the last selling point for me purchasing a Spire over keeping the Super Sentinel is I'm riding the Super Sentinel pretty hard, and I'd like the piece of mind of riding a bike that's actually designed for the travel I have. Does anyone know if the carbon Spire frame is actually beefier than the carbon Sentinel in the important places?

The spire carbon frame is 7.6 vs 7 lbs for the Sentinel frame with same shock on their site. That half pound is likely beefing it up a bit.

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 11:57 Quote
Does anyone know if the TRP variant of the Spire is the 23 model and the Code variant the 22?

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 12:05 Quote
Johnnybike1 wrote:
Does anyone know if the TRP variant of the Spire is the 23 model and the Code variant the 22?

The frames are the same. The TRP Variant is the new ‘23 Rock Shox and can confirm because this is what I have.

O+
Posted: May 16, 2023 at 16:08 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
Bloodytesla wrote:

Perhaps the last selling point for me purchasing a Spire over keeping the Super Sentinel is I'm riding the Super Sentinel pretty hard, and I'd like the piece of mind of riding a bike that's actually designed for the travel I have. Does anyone know if the carbon Spire frame is actually beefier than the carbon Sentinel in the important places?

The spire carbon frame is 7.6 vs 7 lbs for the Sentinel frame with same shock on their site. That half pound is likely beefing it up a bit.

Also the fact the Spire is rated for a dual crown would make one believe there is more material in the head tube area (also straight sizing) = stiffer front end of frame.

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 16:40 Quote
bloodytesla wrote:
Anyone go from (or try both) a Super-Sentinel v2 (170 mm front and 165 mm rear w/ a Cascade Link) to the Spire? I have a Super-Sentinel because the Spire didn't exist way back when... but since it looks like frames are on sale, I was wondering if I should just make the swap.

Super senti was a really great bike but the Spire is a definite improvement imo.
-One piece yoke verses two piece of Sentinel is easier on shocks and results in a stiffer rear end. Being 200# the Sentinel would load up in corners and was a little unnerving at times. Spire seems just right in the flex dept.
-Spire geo is based on higher AC of 170mm Zeb/38. Sentinel I thought was a little too choppered with a Zeb at 170.
-Longer Chainstays. Possibly good or bad for your riding style and trails but for me once I figured out how to corner the Spire I like the more centered position that the longer stays allow in corners. However it’s not as quick initiating a corner as the Sentinel.
-UDH

Posted: May 16, 2023 at 17:24 Quote
Johnnybike1 wrote:

Was a rolling change. Transition doesn't do model years and the builds are identical other than brakes. Codes builds came first but swapped to TRP mid product cycle

Posted: May 17, 2023 at 10:27 Quote
Anyone coming from a DH bike to a Spire? How do they compare? I just picked up a Spire and thinking of selling my DH bike. I have a Spec. Demo 29. I'm not expecting the Spire to be an equivalent, but I have used an enduro bike in the bike park before and found it to be fine.

O+
Posted: May 17, 2023 at 19:36 Quote
gramboh wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
Also the fact the Spire is rated for a dual crown would make one believe there is more material in the head tube area (also straight sizing) = stiffer front end of frame.
Thanks! Just got the frame. For anyone wondering, the head tube area is definitely wider, no doubt about it.

Buggyr333 wrote:
Johnnybike1 wrote:

Was a rolling change. Transition doesn't do model years and the builds are identical other than brakes. Codes builds came first but swapped to TRP mid product cycle
Just got the TRP Carbon version. For the Carbon version, the TRP build comes with the newest Zeb and Super Deluxe Ultimate revisions. It comes with the Flow S2 instead of the S1s too. I’m moving over my We Are Ones from my Sentinel, but hopefully for whomever gets these wheels they dont explode the new hub design unlike the Neosync hubs on the old Flow S1s! Would definitely grab this TRP version over the old Code ones floating around if you can!

Posted: May 17, 2023 at 21:19 Quote
bloodytesla wrote:

Buggyr333 wrote:
Johnnybike1 wrote:

Just got the TRP Carbon version. For the Carbon version, the TRP build comes with the newest Zeb and Super Deluxe Ultimate revisions. It comes with the Flow S2 instead of the S1s too. I’m moving over my We Are Ones from my Sentinel, but hopefully for whomever gets these wheels they dont explode the new hub design unlike the Neosync hubs on the old Flow S1s! Would definitely grab this TRP version over the old Code ones floating around if you can!

They must have updated that recently. Was going off of old information Facepalm
Knowing this, why would anyone get the Code builds hah. Codes are already much worse brakes than the DHR Evos

Posted: May 20, 2023 at 18:57 Quote
Hey guys, could anyone do me a huge favor? Count the # of links in their chain if you have a size large Spire using a 32 T (F) / 52 T (R)? Love you long time if so.

Thanks!

O+
Posted: May 20, 2023 at 19:01 Quote
a-prince wrote:
Hey guys, could anyone do me a huge favor? Count the # of links in their chain if you have a size large Spire using a 32 T (F) / 52 T (R)? Love you long time if so.

Thanks!

Lazy Americans

Learn to size a modern bike chain, it's very easy

Posted: May 20, 2023 at 19:22 Quote
Haha wow, thanks. I never said I didn’t know how.

Posted: May 22, 2023 at 18:33 Quote
It’s 118 links for future reference.

Posted: May 23, 2023 at 5:53 Quote
Ucio1985 wrote:
Hi,

I have a strange situation with RS SDU Coil MY23. I weight 84-85kg kitted up. I tired few springs:

- Sprindex set to 450lbs - 22% sag

- EXT 425 lbs spring - 23% sag

- RS 400lbs spring - 26% sag

Every spring calculator recommended 425-450lbs spring for my weight to get 30%+ sag. I always measure sag seated, with saddle all way down. Is it normal that 2023 SDU coil needs softer spring that other shocks?

Thank you for all the replies. Finally I bought a 350lbs spring that gives me 30-31% sag at 84-85kg. Suspension feels really good Smile

photo

Posted: Jun 3, 2023 at 14:49 Quote
Has anyone swapped from a carbon Sentinel to a carbon Spire? What were the real life noticeable differences? Any common faults or issues on the Spire frames? Thanks

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.010816
Mobile Version of Website