Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Apr 24, 2024 at 6:18 Quote
I think so. The Geo is dialed, and suspension Works great, especially once you throw a coil on it. . I don’t believe Transition is updating the Spire this year, and parts can always be swapped out if you want to try something new.

Posted: Apr 24, 2024 at 7:59 Quote
bogdanc wrote:
Soo the Spire aquisition went spiral Really Mad , the seller / shop after a long conversation for him after sending the money out told me the bike was out of stock...

Anyway, scorching the internet found a Purple one (which I just love) 2022 brand new for the same price. Just that this bikes comes with old Zebs , Codes (yuck) and flow S1 wheels (which I have a pair that been trying for over a year to sell for pennies but nobody wants ) . This seller (at least until now) seems nicer and offered a Charger 3 upgrade for fee and a pair or TRP's for a discount hence I'm a Saint's / XT for brakes guy

These being said, do you think the previous spec Spire is still a bike to buy in 2024 ? By the way the Super Deluxe has to go as well but not sure when as aiming for a new SD Coil with HBO but in Europe it's seems to be sold out everywhere.

In my opinion the older Charger 2.1 Zeb feels better than the 3.0. Brakes are rough though.

Posted: Apr 24, 2024 at 11:59 Quote
bogdanc wrote:
Soo the Spire aquisition went spiral Really Mad , the seller / shop after a long conversation for him after sending the money out told me the bike was out of stock...

Anyway, scorching the internet found a Purple one (which I just love) 2022 brand new for the same price. Just that this bikes comes with old Zebs , Codes (yuck) and flow S1 wheels (which I have a pair that been trying for over a year to sell for pennies but nobody wants ) . This seller (at least until now) seems nicer and offered a Charger 3 upgrade for fee and a pair or TRP's for a discount hence I'm a Saint's / XT for brakes guy

These being said, do you think the previous spec Spire is still a bike to buy in 2024 ? By the way the Super Deluxe has to go as well but not sure when as aiming for a new SD Coil with HBO but in Europe it's seems to be sold out everywhere.

I would not buy a spire anymore due to the maufacturing quality. But if you still want to i would suggest going for the newer versions (new color ways) and hope that they fixed these issues. On the old one make sure to check all issues (Lower Shock Mount rattle, Missallignment, rattling pivot bolts, no grease loctite on bolts).

Posted: Apr 24, 2024 at 13:36 Quote
Well , I've seen issues and seems older ones are quite affected by this pesky issues.

I know it's not the place to ask here but receive an good offer from the 1st seller (that made the error with availability) for a Pivot Firebird at the same price with Fox 38's Factory ( prefer them over Zebs) XT brakes, fr541 rims laced with 350's and GX groupset. To me it's ticking all boxes on paper and up on the reliability game but do they ride that way differently going down? Anyone rode both?

Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 11:50 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
not so steep trails

Is this enough for the Spire? Run @64.5°

Skip the talking and go right to 13:21

O+
Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 14:28 Quote
POV never does the trail justice, they look like fun trails though! Bike turned out great, too.

Posted: Apr 26, 2024 at 18:21 Quote
dirtnapped wrote:
POV never does the trail justice, they look like fun trails though! Bike turned out great, too.

Thanks. Yeah... the GoPro effect. It's a pretty rough trail in some parts.

Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 12:26 Quote
I keep getting the message, that my posts contain blocked words. How is that? I never get an answer from a mod I'm supposed to contact. Anyways...

Had another look at my Spire. Let's see what Transition have to say:

photo
photo
photo

When I had the paint removed from my Spire, I noticed that the main pivot bearings were running rough, so I pressed new ones in.

Upon mounting back together the frame I went link first and all was fine. As yet another shock started leaking oil though I was curious and took apart only the bolts of the main link and this is what I found. So angry at myself for not checking before paying the extra money for the paint stripping and new bearings...

When mounted, my Trunnion mount might be within tolerances but this is NOT what I consider, well build. Frown Transition is not to blame though as I only sent in pics of the Trunnion mount when I first suspected that there was something wrong with my frame.

When putting back together everything, I took some shims to at least have the link straight and not compressed so that the bearings aren't under excessive side load. It's a 0.6mm gap. The one with the rear end not pushed to the left is 2mm.

The 3 week old bearings run rough again...

O+
Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 14:03 Quote
I just had my shock out for travel and I was relieved to not see these issues but man what a headache!
It’s not like this is a new design,
You’d think basic routine qc would catch stuff like this …..
i also wonder how transition feels/handles/resolves this …..

Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 15:25 Quote
Dang I thought the issues were fixed with the newer frames.

Posted: Apr 28, 2024 at 23:23 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:

I daresay that many won't even notice and blame Fox x2s for not being reliable. Nobody would question a misaligned frame in the first place.

Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 7:14 Quote
niconj wrote:
I keep getting the message, that my posts contain blocked words. How is that? I never get an answer from a mod I'm supposed to contact. Anyways...

Had another look at my Spire. Let's see what Transition have to say:

photo
photo
photo

When I had the paint removed from my Spire, I noticed that the main pivot bearings were running rough, so I pressed new ones in.

Upon mounting back together the frame I went link first and all was fine. As yet another shock started leaking oil though I was curious and took apart only the bolts of the main link and this is what I found. So angry at myself for not checking before paying the extra money for the paint stripping and new bearings...

When mounted, my Trunnion mount might be within tolerances but this is NOT what I consider, well build. Frown Transition is not to blame though as I only sent in pics of the Trunnion mount when I first suspected that there was something wrong with my frame.

When putting back together everything, I took some shims to at least have the link straight and not compressed so that the bearings aren't under excessive side load. It's a 0.6mm gap. The one with the rear end not pushed to the left is 2mm.

The 3 week old bearings run rough again...

I think this is normal though if you just leave the seat stay and main pivot (near BB) it will hardly be aligned. Its hard to get good tolerances from that angle. Its a downside of this design. Also as long as the rear end moves with little force (when shock is not in) than its fine. I think the finger in bearing method and rotate doesnt tell you much.

Fun Fact I talked to my LBS last week and they stopped selling TR. Most issues they have ever had with a brand. He told me I should just try to get rid of the frame asap and move on xD.

Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 13:24 Quote
Ccouch5859 wrote:

I feel relieved that it was a mixup with my order and for the same money I've got a better speed Pivot Firebird. Phew

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 20:07 Quote
Firebird is a great bike. But man do they slap chain. Really needs the STFU. It’s funny, you got the complete opposite of transitions bearing issues : massive beasts that all live in the link and have legendary lifespans. Too bad about the short stays tho.

O+
Posted: Apr 29, 2024 at 22:40 Quote
statistically the bikes with issues are a very small number, we dont get to know about all the bikes out there running perfectly.. perhaps transition users are too forum-oriented ; ). I have had abd curently have few transitions between me and my kids, in carbon & alloy (different TR Bikes) and all are great ; ).

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.013329
Mobile Version of Website