Powered by Outside

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Author Message
Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 5:29 Quote
Lagr1980 wrote:
statistically the bikes with issues are a very small number, we dont get to know about all the bikes out there running perfectly.. perhaps transition users are too forum-oriented ; ). I have had abd curently have few transitions between me and my kids, in carbon & alloy (different TR Bikes) and all are great ; ).

This.
Perhaps I'm biased working at a Transition dealer for over 7 years and riding them myself, but I have seen a lot more QC problems with other brands come through the shop, even some that we don't sell. Tolerances on bikes in general are pretty awful.

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 5:46 Quote
I'm 50/50 with Transition bikes. My carbon Sentinel has been amazing and worry free, but my carbon Spire had alignment issues so much so that the rear shock was going to explode if I just looked at the bike. That Ti / gray carbon Sentinel is the best looking bike ever made though!

Posted: Apr 30, 2024 at 15:11 Quote
Was pondering frame alignment while on my ride this morning, and I thought of something that may be worth checking.
The main pivot uses a design that allows for some lateral 'adjustment' that if not tightened in the proper order, could theoretically cause issue. The pivot axle tightens onto the frame bearings (not against the outside of the pivot like the rest of the axles do) and then is held in place by the collet expanding into the rear triangle. Similar to a pinch-bolt style fork axle except with a collet instead of the pinch bolts. If you were to install this first while any of the other pivots are loose or removed then it could expand in the wrong place throwing off alignment. Ideally the main pivot should be tightened last when everything else is already torqued up.
Just spitballing here, I am not sure exactly how they designed in to be, but in my head this could throw things off a bit. Probably not with shock alignment since that is triangulated with other pivots, but could certainly throw off the rocker pivot. Anyway, probably at least worth checking.

Posted: May 2, 2024 at 7:26 Quote
My EXT Aria Shock after having been ridden for some time in my Spire. Frown Still no answer from Transition as they changed the distributor as of this month and everyone is in Riva.

Silverfish being outside of the EU (UK-based) doesn't help either.

photo

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 0:30 Quote
You mean they are not with Trailtoys anymore? And the new dist is in UK? LoL

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 13:45 Quote
CN7lIX wrote:
You mean they are not with Trailtoys anymore? And the new dist is in UK? LoL
Yup. That’s what they told me.

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 14:40 Quote
Funny you guys say this about misalignment. I had the carbon Sentinel (grey) and now the Spire (purple). The other day I installed the X2 and checked the gap at the top mount on both sides of the shock…looked the same…also checked for some play on the rear linkage…nothing. Assume this is the way to check if there is any alignment or not…

However, when I took my Eleven Six shock out, the spherical bearing on the bottom was very twisted…I spoke to Push and they said it’s normal and bikes/shocks take a lot more lateral forces than we think…I guess it’s the whole point of that sort of mount with a spherical bearing!? Thoughts?

O+
Posted: May 4, 2024 at 19:30 Quote
gbcarmona wrote:
Funny you guys say this about misalignment. I had the carbon Sentinel (grey) and now the Spire (purple). The other day I installed the X2 and checked the gap at the top mount on both sides of the shock…looked the same…also checked for some play on the rear linkage…nothing. Assume this is the way to check if there is any alignment or not…

However, when I took my Eleven Six shock out, the spherical bearing on the bottom was very twisted…I spoke to Push and they said it’s normal and bikes/shocks take a lot more lateral forces than we think…I guess it’s the whole point of that sort of mount with a spherical bearing!? Thoughts?

Well this basically is the reason companies stay away from trunnion, even with an aligned frame there is “misalignment” when the bike is used due to the forces which are never only in the vertical plane.. thats when the spherical hardware comes in handy

Posted: May 4, 2024 at 22:36 Quote
Lagr1980 wrote:
Well this basically is the reason companies stay away from trunnion, even with an aligned frame there is “misalignment” when the bike is used due to the forces which are never only in the vertical plane.. thats when the spherical hardware comes in handy

It shouldn't eat shocks though. Wink

Posted: May 27, 2024 at 4:20 Quote
My replacement Frame now has this issue where the lower shock mount will rattle even if I over torque the bolt. Its like it is not getting pinched enough. I wen to a shock specialist to check the hardware and shock and those are ok. I know people had this issue but please explain again for a dumb person what the quick fix for this is? When loosen the bolt and retorque it its good for a ride than starts rattling again.

Posted: May 27, 2024 at 4:53 Quote
File it down. Wink
Waldchiller wrote:
My replacement Frame now has this issue where the lower shock mount will rattle even if I over torque the bolt. Its like it is not getting pinched enough. I wen to a shock specialist to check the hardware and shock and those are ok. I know people had this issue but please explain again for a dumb person what the quick fix for this is? When loosen the bolt and retorque it its good for a ride than starts rattling again.

Posted: May 27, 2024 at 20:43 Quote
Where can I find the lower shock bushing for an EXT Arma? Thanks

Posted: May 27, 2024 at 23:42 Quote
stolenteg wrote:
Where can I find the lower shock bushing for an EXT Arma? Thanks

At EXT?

Posted: May 28, 2024 at 9:05 Quote
Ext USA will have the hardware you need.

Or if you get it serviced at suspension syndicate they will give you the option for new hardware.

O+
Posted: Jun 2, 2024 at 9:29 Quote
I’m noticing the chain slap on an otherwise silent bike. STFU? VHS Tape? I’m currently using an SxG guide.


 


Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv65 0.010951
Mobile Version of Website