close
Pinkbike is now part of Outside! As of December 3, 2021, please refer to the Outside Terms of Use and Privacy Policy which govern your use of the Pinkbike website and services.

Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 14:13 Quote
Just got my medium ordered up, talking to transition it sounds like the medium is shipping out with a 150mm dropper. Has anyone slammed a 210mm one up in their medium yet?

Posted: Oct 18, 2021 at 14:54 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
Just got my medium ordered up, talking to transition it sounds like the medium is shipping out with a 150mm dropper. Has anyone slammed a 210mm one up in their medium yet?

it could work, a 180 oneup dropper had a lot of extra post sticking out already though...

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 13:01 Quote
I’m sure this has probably been covered somewhere on here, but what weight spring are people running who have coils? I’m about 150lb kitted up. Hoping my eta is right for November delivery, buzzing to get one!

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 20:22 Quote
chazmann wrote:
I’m sure this has probably been covered somewhere on here, but what weight spring are people running who have coils? I’m about 150lb kitted up. Hoping my eta is right for November delivery, buzzing to get one!

I weigh 205lbs and was at 400lbs spring rate on a Super Deluxe Ultimate Coil for 30% sag. FWIW I did not get along well with the coil vs. the X2 air shock that comes stock. In my other experiences using a coil I never was close to 400lbs, must be the leverage of this bike in particular that allows such a low rate for my size.

Posted: Oct 19, 2021 at 21:00 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:

I have a medium. Mine came with a 180 OneUp dropper, which is what I expected. While the seat tube is short, there is a bit of a kink near the BB, so the maximum insertion is quite short - you cannot "slam" the seat post. For me, at 174cm, I wouldn't be able to use a 210.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 6:10 Quote
Is anyone else having issues with the lower shock mount bolt loosening up during riding? I'm having to tighten mine after each ride. I am going to pull it out today and add a bunch of locktite.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 6:14 Quote
k1campbell wrote:
I have a medium. Mine came with a 180 OneUp dropper, which is what I expected. While the seat tube is short, there is a bit of a kink near the BB, so the maximum insertion is quite short - you cannot "slam" the seat post. For me, at 174cm, I wouldn't be able to use a 210.

It seems that the internal tube routing for the dropper exits quite high after making the bend around the bottom bracket. This greatly limits the max dropper insertion as you say. My friend has the most recent Scout and the internal routing does not guide the dropper cable around the BB. Which is annoying for setting up the bike, but leaves way more room for dropper post insertion.

It is kind of a bummer because I have a 185 dropper with a good 3-4cm of exposed post and I could easily run a 210 if the dropper could be inserted deeper into frame.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 7:12 Quote
For science I measured just how much of exposed dropper there is on my size L alloy with a 210mm OneUp - 95mm. And this is as far as it can go down.

Hope that helps anyone deciding what length of dropper to get. TBH, I expected this thing to be able to be slammed. But it definitely can't do that.

jslatts wrote:
k1campbell wrote:

It seems that the internal tube routing for the dropper exits quite high after making the bend around the bottom bracket. This greatly limits the max dropper insertion as you say. My friend has the most recent Scout and the internal routing does not guide the dropper cable around the BB. Which is annoying for setting up the bike, but leaves way more room for dropper post insertion.

It is kind of a bummer because I have a 185 dropper with a good 3-4cm of exposed post and I could easily run a 210 if the dropper could be inserted deeper into frame.

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:14 Quote
chazmann wrote:

I’m 185. Fox dhx2 factory running a 450 sls spring for 29% sag at the shaft. I’ll edit the post when I get home and give all my settings on the shock. It took me a bit to get it to feel right…

Seatpost… I’m 5-11 with a 33/34 inseam on a size large. Running a 210 one-up and it was a little tall at max insertion with 170 cranks. When I put the fox 40 on I went to 165 cranks to have more clearance when I get deeper into the 190 travel and so I can still pedal while cornering. The 210 is just right now.

It’s unfortunate transition didn’t clean up the internal routing tube a little better… there is plenty of room in the frame to slam a post but the tube gets in the way…

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 8:38 Quote
The Spire has firmly entered the only for gnarly trails category weighing in at 37.5 pounds and basically full dh. I can still get it up but it sure takes some work.

Just built up an Orange p7 29’er to take care of all the rest. Inaugural ride was in full blown spire country and it handles just fine. Not as comfy but almost as quick. Steep fall line roots and shutes. Apparently I’m one of the only guys in recent memory to take a hardtail down several of the lines there…

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 11:27 Quote
Parsurf wrote:
chazmann wrote:

I’m 185. Fox dhx2 factory running a 450 sls spring for 29% sag at the shaft. I’ll edit the post when I get home and give all my settings on the shock. It took me a bit to get it to feel right…

Seatpost… I’m 5-11 with a 33/34 inseam on a size large. Running a 210 one-up and it was a little tall at max insertion with 170 cranks. When I put the fox 40 on I went to 165 cranks to have more clearance when I get deeper into the 190 travel and so I can still pedal while cornering. The 210 is just right now.

It’s unfortunate transition didn’t clean up the internal routing tube a little better… there is plenty of room in the frame to slam a post but the tube gets in the way…

I'm 5'10 and am hoping to run a 200mm transfer on a size medium. Minimum insertion length is 150mm and I'm guessing there would be extra room to spare on the frame but maybe I'm wrong based on these comments?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 12:51 Quote
bikehard11 wrote:
Parsurf wrote:
chazmann wrote:

I'm 5'10 and am hoping to run a 200mm transfer on a size medium. Minimum insertion length is 150mm and I'm guessing there would be extra room to spare on the frame but maybe I'm wrong based on these comments?

If people are having issues running a 210mm oneup on medium/large, you'll probably have even more exposed post on the transfer as it's stack height is longer than the 210 oneup

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 13:58 Quote
Does anybody know what the maximum insertion on a medium is?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 14:00 Quote
bikehard11 wrote:
Does anybody know what the maximum insertion on a medium is?

Not quite 230... Maybe 225 on mine?

Posted: Oct 20, 2021 at 23:41 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
bikehard11 wrote:
Parsurf wrote:

If people are having issues running a 210mm oneup on medium/large, you'll probably have even more exposed post on the transfer as it's stack height is longer than the 210 oneup

I'm 5-10 and I have a medium and run a 210 Oneup dropper post. I thought it was gonna be too long when I firstly stuck it in the frame and shimmed it down, but when I tested it I found I could run it full length. I wear 32 inseam pants and 165mm cranks.

Copyright © 2000 - 2021. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv56 0.007454
Mobile Version of Website