Transition Spire - new long travel 29er

PB Forum :: Transition
Transition Spire - new long travel 29er
O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 1:30 Quote
jslatts wrote:
Is anyone else having issues with the lower shock mount bolt loosening up during riding? I'm having to tighten mine after each ride. I am going to pull it out today and add a bunch of locktite.

I read somewhere it's a common problem, and to just loctite it, as you thought

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 1:35 Quote
bikehard11 wrote:
Does anybody know what the maximum insertion on a medium is?

Max insertions listed under "Frame Specs" on the Spire page...
https://www.transitionbikes.com/Bikes_Spire.cfm

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 9:14 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
bikehard11 wrote:

I'm 5'10 and am hoping to run a 200mm transfer on a size medium. Minimum insertion length is 150mm and I'm guessing there would be extra room to spare on the frame but maybe I'm wrong based on these comments?

If people are having issues running a 210mm oneup on medium/large, you'll probably have even more exposed post on the transfer as it's stack height is longer than the 210 oneup

I'm 5-10 and I have a medium and run a 210 Oneup dropper post. I thought it was gonna be too long when I firstly stuck it in the frame and shimmed it down, but when I tested it I found I could run it full length. I wear 32 inseam pants and 165mm cranks.

Do you know what your seat height measurement is from the BB?

Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 10:04 Quote
https://nsmb.com/articles/transition-spire/

As much as I like reading reviews would be nice to have my spire.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 14:01 Quote
jslatts wrote:
Is anyone else having issues with the lower shock mount bolt loosening up during riding? I'm having to tighten mine after each ride. I am going to pull it out today and add a bunch of locktite.

Same thing happened to me. File down the nub on the threaded/female side of the flip chip all most all the way down to the main body of the chip. Re Loctite and install.

Seems to have fixed mine so far. It appears to me the nub is too long and contacts the shoulder (unthreaded) part of the bolt. Thus preventing a good "squeeze" on the lower shock.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 17:51 Quote
bikehard11 wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:

If people are having issues running a 210mm oneup on medium/large, you'll probably have even more exposed post on the transfer as it's stack height is longer than the 210 oneup

I'm 5-10 and I have a medium and run a 210 Oneup dropper post. I thought it was gonna be too long when I firstly stuck it in the frame and shimmed it down, but when I tested it I found I could run it full length. I wear 32 inseam pants and 165mm cranks.

Just measured and it looks like about 690mm to the Saddle rail. BB is wide which makes it a bit tricky to measure.

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 18:42 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
bikehard11 wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:

Just measured and it looks like about 690mm to the Saddle rail. BB is wide which makes it a bit tricky to measure.

Have any photos of the exposed dropper, for visual reference?

O+
Posted: Oct 21, 2021 at 23:42 Quote
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:
bikehard11 wrote:

Spire at Rockville

Finally got me to figure out how to post a picture of my build.

Posted: Oct 22, 2021 at 6:32 Quote
BoulderDC wrote:
Same thing happened to me. File down the nub on the threaded/female side of the flip chip all most all the way down to the main body of the chip. Re Loctite and install.

Seems to have fixed mine so far. It appears to me the nub is too long and contacts the shoulder (unthreaded) part of the bolt. Thus preventing a good "squeeze" on the lower shock.

I reached out to TR and this is what they advised me to do. Will give it a shot this weekend.

O+
Posted: Oct 24, 2021 at 12:24 Quote
Spire as only bike? I'm demoing a Spire right now. Just did Angel Fire bike park yesterday and its the most fun I've had on a bike there. I have a 2022 Stump Jumper Evo, it is no where near as good at the bike park as the Spire. But it will be awhile before I can get a second shorter travel bike. So for the time being the Spire would also have to also serve as my trail bike. I rode it on mellower trails today and it feels like it pedals every bit as good as my Evo, maybe a hair better. I really think I could live with it as an only bike for a year. We hit Angel Fire a good 15 days a year.

I weighed both, with the same set of Roval Traverse Alum Wheels, DHF EXO front, Dissector EXO rear, XT 8120 Pedals

Large Carbon GX Spire: 32.44 lbs
22 Stumpjumper Evo S4 Expert: 32.24 lbs
(Nothing in SWAT box, No tool on water bottle cage)

.2 lbs difference!!! This pretty much mirrors what I felt pedaling, I really don't feel like Spire looses much if anything to the EVO.

The Spire also has a full bash guard, better down tube protection, 220mm front rotor, and a 38mm fork.

I figured on paper the difference could be no less than a full pound.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 7:23 Quote
luckyguy19 wrote:
Spire as only bike? I'm demoing a Spire right now. Just did Angel Fire bike park yesterday and its the most fun I've had on a bike there. I have a 2022 Stump Jumper Evo, it is no where near as good at the bike park as the Spire. But it will be awhile before I can get a second shorter travel bike. So for the time being the Spire would also have to also serve as my trail bike. I rode it on mellower trails today and it feels like it pedals every bit as good as my Evo, maybe a hair better. I really think I could live with it as an only bike for a year. We hit Angel Fire a good 15 days a year.

I weighed both, with the same set of Roval Traverse Alum Wheels, DHF EXO front, Dissector EXO rear, XT 8120 Pedals

Large Carbon GX Spire: 32.44 lbs
22 Stumpjumper Evo S4 Expert: 32.24 lbs
(Nothing in SWAT box, No tool on water bottle cage)

.2 lbs difference!!! This pretty much mirrors what I felt pedaling, I really don't feel like Spire looses much if anything to the EVO.

The Spire also has a full bash guard, better down tube protection, 220mm front rotor, and a 38mm fork.

I figured on paper the difference could be no less than a full pound.

Yeah my Spire is my ride everything bike as well, I have a hard tail for nasty winter riding but the Spire is the do all bike.

Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 11:28 Quote
How are folks with a coil shock finding the ride on the Spire? I am considering a current model DHX2 for mine. However, not sure if there would be issues with excessive bottoming or having to run to high of a spring rate. Any intel would be appreciated.

For reference, on my X2, I end up using all or almost all the travel on most rides, even when the sag is set around 27 or 28 % and with two tokens (which is the max for this size shock). I'd like to experiment with a coil for a plusher/more planted feeling from the bike, but concerned the end stroke support/ramp may be lacking.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 11:36 Quote
steeph20 wrote:
How are folks with a coil shock finding the ride on the Spire? I am considering a current model DHX2 for mine. However, not sure if there would be issues with excessive bottoming or having to run to high of a spring rate. Any intel would be appreciated.

For reference, on my X2, I end up using all or almost all the travel on most rides, even when the sag is set around 27 or 28 % and with two tokens (which is the max for this size shock). I'd like to experiment with a coil for a plusher/more planted feeling from the bike, but concerned the end stroke support/ramp may be lacking.

Damn, you might be a good candidate for the Cascade link. I really haven't had the opportunity to ride mine hard to have an opinion on the X2 yet.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 11:45 Quote
steeph20 wrote:

I tested out a coil on mine running a Super Deluxe Ultimate. My riding weight is 205lbs+ and I was at a 400lb spring for about 29% sag which is wayyyyy softer of a spring than I have ever run before. Must be the leverage of this bike in particular that allows for such a low spring rate. During my first tests with it on I experienced what you said in that the end stroke I would blow through super easily. I swapped to the X2 and the bike felt amazing in comparison with also 29-30% sag.

I am going to try out the coil again with much different settings and add some compression (which I normally don't ever do with a coil) and see how it goes. Overall I think Transition nailed the tune on the X2 and it seems to work really well for me, but going to give the coil one more try.

O+
Posted: Oct 25, 2021 at 20:36 Quote
mtb-thetown wrote:
ryksgoesoutside wrote:
mtb-thetown wrote:

What length stem are you running? How are you finding the medium at 5'10"?

Spire at Rockville

Finally got me to figure out how to post a picture of my build.

How are you finding the medium at 5'10" ? What length stem are you running?

Copyright © 2000 - 2024. Pinkbike.com. All rights reserved.
dv42 0.044700
Mobile Version of Website